Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Impressions of APEX Romanian Kit

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Impressions of APEX Romanian Kit

Today I received one of the APEX "non-matching" Romanian parts sets. This is your typical Patriotic Guard "G" AKM, 1980 vintage. The receiver had been chop-sawed through the magazine well dimples and torched diagonally through the rear isolating the front leg of the trigger guard. All the parts were present except for a magazine and cleaning kit, but the cleaning rod was still in place. No rust was evident anywhere but the front half was gritty from the chop saw and the stock was dirty. The only part that looked corroded was the inside of the slant muzzle brake where it forms sort of a cup. The wood was "used-grimy" with no trench art and just a small ding and a scuff on the foregrip that went below the stain (looks like maybe it brushed against the chop wheel). Finish was 90%, wear only evident on raised areas like corners and rivet heads. Pistol grip was bakelite with no splintering. The bore is chrome-lined and looks good though I haven't cleaned it. [Update: After cleaning it is bright with sharp rifling.] It is truly non-matching with the front end, fire control parts, top cover and bolt/bolt carrier each bearing different numbers. (I don't have gages to check headspace.) The fire control parts are the AKM type with "rate reducer" and have little detectable wear. The disconnecter is a stamped rather than machined type and is intact, contrary to the reputation of PG rifles.

Delivery was about a week, and that week included a Federal holiday. Total cost delivered was 147.50. APEX also had matching sets for $150 vs, $135 when I ordered last week. If they are as good as these I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Terrier

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks for the post Terrier

I've only ordered a few things from there and have been happy with their service, the only thing I don't like is they are very slow to answer emails.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the info. Terrier - just ordered the 150.00 1970's kit. Glenn

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Apex is on my shit list. FIRST order of its kind ever and I got a kit that looked like it MAY have had a ground off number of the SN and a matching number stamped next to it. Emailed APEX and NO ANSWER AT ALL to date (weeks).
    To Apex's credit it looks like an OLD grind and stamp job, but still. WTF when a company won't even reply to a f-ing email?
    I will still buy from them, but for the first 2 kits I EVER bought and then their lack of customer service/care to the followup email. it left my butthole hurting.

Order was for 2 M63 kits. one 1970's one 1980's. the 70's looked almost white and the 80's was pretty worn too. BOTH front ends rattled at the gas tube/upper handguard.. pretty worn.

Mini-14

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I rate Apex as okay, when you keep on top of them. They sent me a broken part for my CZ-52, and when I emailed them about sending me another one, they wanted me to first mail back the broken one. I pointed out the stupidity of wasting postage sending back a part that belonged in the can, and attached a picture of the part. I didn't hear anything back but lo and behold a replacement did arrive in the mail.

blu
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

the 1970' matching kit, and the M70 yugo i got two weeks ago were great. APEX service via email, ship notifications, and even parts sent/ vs. ordered ALL had problems. (sent scope mount instead of scope rail). i posted pictures of barrels i got at same time
    about a week ago here (search)

called Michelle, complained about the documentation stuff, she said "oh, sorry, um ..."

they gave me a discount on the scope mount which i kept, and send out the original scope rail i'd ordered, which arrived in 4 days, also perfect.

so, they seem to have good stuff, must prefer old school business vs. this high fa-lootin'
    internet world stuff.

anybody have thoughts on their RPK kits? i'd order again from them.

blu

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Follow up to posting 3 above: I just confirmed my order via phone w/ Michelle and she was very helpful. Offered to allow me to pick a trunion year as I was in the "early" group to order. I declined and only asked that they send me a decent kit. She said that they always send out their best kits first.

When I got home, Apex/UPS had already sent me 2 emails that my kit had been shipped and would be delivered by 3/4/08. So, so far - so good. Will post pics and details when received. Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-27-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Feedback Score

I ordered three compliance parts kits from them a while back. Package arrived, only two in the box, invoice showed three. I called them the next day, and I could hear the disbelief in the womans voice. Two months later I finally got the last set.

I would use them again, but I think they need to do something about their customer service.

Feedback Score

Default Well . . .

. . . I did title my post "Impressions of the kit", not the company

(Actually I had no problems. . .)

A sidebar about customer service. . .

One site I frequent often has mention about this this one vendor who makes very expensive products. Invariably every post talks about their "great customer service", such as "I received the kit in a week. There were a couple of broken parts but I called and I got a package with new pieces a couple of days later. Those were broken too so I called again and got a good replacements in another couple of days. . ." I posted that I think I'd prefer a company with a completely unknown CS department - unknown because they always shipped what you wanted in good condition THE FIRST TIME. By the reacation, you would've thought I was recommending that everybody use their flags to start their Bibles burning. . .

Terrier

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thumbs up Super good deal for me !!!

Per postings 3 and 7........I just received my APEX Romanian M63 1970's Production Kit and it is fantastic. I don't know about the problems some of you guys had, but my experience with APEX is nothing but top notch. I am attaching photo of the kit plus a close-up of trunnion. (sorry about blocking out last 4 digits of s/n) It came with all parts and every single s/n matches - even the fore stock. The bore is like new and there is of course some wear on the finish.....keep in mind, this rifle is a 1972 and Lord knows how many rounds were fed through her. But, there is absolutely zero rust - anywhere. It was received exactly when promised and was well wrapped. To me, the price is fair, the product is great, customer service was excellent (see notes in post 7). If you guys are looking for a really nice all matching kit, I suggest you give APEX a try. They actually have a nice selection of various kits to choose from. Glenn

Even the wood is in pretty good shape - I read that most of the military NON G wood was rather rough. To me, this kit has pretty good wood.

S/N on wood even matches the trunnion - I know it's blocked out, but it does match - as do all the parts w/ S/N's.
    Last edited by Glenn; 03-04-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.