Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nit pic this build!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Nit pic this build!

This is is a AK74 build from ORF kit on a 100% Nodak DCI receiver. Build went well exept for the large gap between top cover and front trunnion, top cover barley catches under fsb. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I have test fired the rifle and it functions fine, I would just like to get the top cover to fit better.
    Thanks for any help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

looks pretty good from the pictures.

i've had the same problem lately on a few Nodak receivers. the best thing you can do is take some flat pliers or vise grips and bend out the rear of the dustcover to force a tighter fit up front. put some tape on it so you don't bugger it up.

did you not refinish the receiver?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Could it be that the rear trunnion is set back just a liitle too far? As for nit picking, I don't think any one would really notice unless you call attention to it.

Feedback Score

eewwwww!!!

i see the problem!!

its got a side folding stock on it!!

+1 to what big al said. a little bending in the back should push that right up.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

the last sidefolder i built from a DCI seemed a little "long". if you adjust the trunnions either way you mess up the layout for the folding mechanism and the rivet holes. much easier to just slightly bend the bottom of the receiver cover, only about 1/16"+..

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I agree with everyone here, looks like rear trunnion is set too far aft. You can also tell this by the spatial relationship of the top cover to the selector lever. Bending the rear of the cover will not make the gap go away completely, but it will make sure the cover will not fly off during recoil. Don't point out the gap to anyone and most likely no one will ever notice. If they do, just say "Look dumb ass, that's the way it's supposed to be" and walk away If the guy is over 6'6" and 200 Lbs, you might want to skip the dumb ass part

Just as a suggestion, if not already obvious, next time do a fitup of the parts before any cutting or drilling. I had something like your situation and from then on I always try to do a fitup just to make sure everything is going to fit together as it should. If not, easily enough to do tweeks at that time or return the receiver, if needed, for a corrected one. It's not too hard to take a new NDS fixed stock receiver and cut the holes for a side folder........just takes some time, patience and a few beers

BTW - great looking build even with the gap

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for the replys,I did do a pre-fit before riveting and final assembly but like Big-AL said anyway you adjusted front or rear trunnions to close the gap, messed up the side folder mounting or mag fit.
    I think Big Al is right the receiver is just a bit too long. I will try bending out the top cover a little.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Has anyone contacted Harlan and asked him about this on his sidefolders receivers? I've only built up one on the precut NDS sidefolder receivers with a Bulgarian virgin kit......it had an excellent fit with not problems at all. I did buy some from Harlan when they first came out, even before they came with reinforcing plate. Maybe some of the later production grew in length ???

BigAl;
    Just because I know you're gonna ask..................paint over park. Gunkote black - 2 parts flat, 1 part semi, then bake
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    looks pretty good from the pictures.

i've had the same problem lately on a few Nodak receivers. the best thing you can do is take some flat pliers or vise grips and bend out the rear of the dustcover to force a tighter fit up front. put some tape on it so you don't bugger it up.

did you not refinish the receiver?
    Yes receiver is finished, I use the home hot blue (5lbs lye 2.5lbs sodium nitrate 1 gal of distilled water) I dont refinish the kits just the receivers they match better than the pic shows.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by magdump View Post
    Thanks for the replys,I did do a pre-fit before riveting and final assembly but like Big-AL said anyway you adjusted front or rear trunnions to close the gap, messed up the side folder mounting or mag fit.
    I think Big Al is right the receiver is just a bit too long. I will try bending out the top cover a little.
    Quite honestly, I'd sent the receiver back to NDS in exchange for a correct sidefolder or a std fixed stock (then do the mods myself).....................but that's just me

Did I do that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.