Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried a left-handed AK?

Feedback Score

Default Has anyone tried a left-handed AK?

At least more left than right:

1. Reverse side of selector keyhole.
    2. Mount selector lever on opposite side of bar.
    3. Build new receiver cover.
    4. Put cocking handle on left side.

I'm guessing you'd need to either work with a pre-bent blank or a flat with dimples but reversed holes.

This would still eject to the right, but as a left shooter, that's what I deal with already.

Terrier

Feedback Score

3. could likely just cut the new opening and optionally weld part of that section to the other side (obviously dont cover the ejection port, but fill in the slot that was for the charging handle on the right side)

4. i wouldnt weld on the carrier, but maybe drill through the handle and tap the carrier to bolt the handle on?

im kinda curious to see how this could turn out, if its feasible

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have considerd moving the charging handel to the left side on my varmit build so that I could work the action in the prone position and keep my right hand on the pistol grip and not loose the target. I think it could be done easy enough especialy if you keep it rh eject.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

several members on here have put the handle on the left side. I know azhonkey has done it on at least one build. Don't think there is too much to it, cut it off, weld it on, and do some work to the top cover, if you want it to look good.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

This is something Ive always wondered about. Theres been a blurb on the AA-OK website for a long time about a few parts they have from "port firing East German AK's " . Ive never really known what they were talking about. I assume that the East Germans experimented with a left hand ejecting AK but Ive never been able to find a picture of one.

Now that I revisit their webpage I see that the only "port firing" part they have are shaved front sights. I was thinking too much like a boat owner. Port firing in this case probably meant firing out of a hole. The seem to have AK's with shaved down to nothing front sights for tankers etc. so they could be maneuvered easier.

I used to know one of the guys who was in with those guys and they had some oddball stuff laying around. I know they made a ton of money selling full auto AK parts at gun shows in California just after communism collapsed and they were getting container loads of crap for $50 a pop or something like that from the old East Germany.
    Last edited by chipmechanic; 03-05-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i have seen lefty ak's on games and what not but i have never actually seen one in a pic or even in person, that would be nice seeing that i shoot left handed

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by chipmechanic View Post
    This is something Ive always wondered about. Theres been a blurb on the AA-OK website for a long time about a few parts they have from "port firing East German AK's " . Ive never really known what they were talking about. I assume that the East Germans experimented with a left hand ejecting AK but Ive never been able to find a picture of one.
    I don't think that is "port" in a nautical sense (left). I'll bet they are talking about firing port guns from BMP infantry fighting vehicles, similar to the M231 version of the M16. These guns are meant to fit in ball mounts on the vehicle and be fired while buttoned-up so they have no sights, fume extractors, and wire stocks or none at all. When the infantry exits they leave these in place and take their personal weapons. the FP gun can be removed and used but only in an emergency.

I've only seen one picture of a FP AK. It was an AKM with a shorter than normal underfolder stock and a shell deflector riveted to the receiver.

Terrier

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
    I don't think that is "port" in a nautical sense (left). I'll bet they are talking about firing port guns from BMP infantry fighting vehicles, similar to the M231 version of the M16. These guns are meant to fit in ball mounts on the vehicle and be fired while buttoned-up so they have no sights, fume extractors, and wire stocks or none at all. When the infantry exits they leave these in place and take their personal weapons. the FP gun can be removed and used but only in an emergency.

I've only seen one picture of a FP AK. It was an AKM with a shorter than normal underfolder stock and a shell deflector riveted to the receiver.

Terrier
    Yeah...I spend too much time on the boat in the summer and its all I am thinking about right now :-). Come to think of it it might be fun to put one of those port firing guns together. I'm really not sure if I could bring it out on the boat though. I think fish and game frown on rifles in the boat. Especially rifles with no siights :-).

Feedback Score

I have seen a few rifles that had left side charging handles, but only or two with a left side selector.

I shoot left handed, and like how the AK is set up from the factory. I can work the selector, charging handle, and change mags without chaning my grip. Slant brakes are backwards tho

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassini View Post
    I have seen a few rifles that had left side charging handles, but only or two with a left side selector.

I shoot left handed, and like how the AK is set up from the factory. I can work the selector, charging handle, and change mags without chaning my grip. Slant brakes are backwards tho
    Why can't you rotate the brake to the 90 degree opposing set? The brake is symmetric so it should work for a left-handed hold once backed off 90.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.