Thread: Building an AK silencer on a form 1

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Building an AK silencer on a form 1

I'm seriously considering building a silencer on a Form 1 for the old 14X1 mm LH thread. Silencers are about the only NFA items available in my state. I live in Washington and believe it or not I can own silencers but I can't legally put a round through one. Goofy huh. I can see Oregon from my house so its not a huge deal to drive across the bridge to go shooting. I'll try an CLEO signoff first but he wont do it then I'll just start a revocable trust or a not for profit corporation and bypass the whole local yocal cop approval shtick . Actually a corp might be a better idea anyway. Then I can get a few friends in on it and make them officers of the corporation and they can do some shooting with it too without having to have me there. I was mulling over some silencer designs and from what I gathered theres just not a huge difference in higher powered rifle baffled silencer performance with dry type suppressors. The Russian PBS-1 cutaways pretty much sum up how simple one can be and still work and thats probably what I'll build. A blast chamber and a series of fender washer baffles tied together with welding rod and all welded together . I'll have it index off the front sight base or maybe I'll try to make a can that indexes off the flash hider and uses a quick disconnect feature. All I have to supply the ATF are external dimensions so I'll have a while to mull it over while I figure out the internals. Yes. I know that silencers do not really "silence" a high powered rifle to he point of being quiet. Ive shot rifles that had pro built silencers before and even with full power loads they sound like you took a box full of books and dropped it on a concrete floor. Not quiet per se' but not so bad that you need ear protection for and from 200 yards away there is no discernible rifle shot sound. To roll my own will cost $200 for the ATF stamp on a form 1 plus whatever it costs me for the materials. Not bad. As I go through the process I'll keep you guys updated.

Ive been asked about the pbs-1 cutaways. I know its been posted on this site before but here it is

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/media/pbs07.JPG&imgrefurl=http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/parts5.html&h=563&w=750&sz=93&hl=en&start=9&um=1&t bnid=mbUbbHkMKS7T-M:&tbnh=106&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpbs-1%2B%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26sa%3DG
    Last edited by chipmechanic; 03-15-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I did the all important first step over the last few days. I created a revocable living trust and named myself trustee of the trust. Now I can use the trust to buy NFA items on a form 4 or to build them on a form 1 without having to have a law enforcement signoff or fingerprints or pictures or proof of citizenship or background checks or any of that pesky stuff. 200 bucks and a form 1 and a copy of my notarized trust documents off to the ATF later this week and once I get the form back I can get started. I used quicken maker to draft the trust documents. Took 45 minutes and cost me 20 bucks. I can assign whatever property I want to the trust so I kept it minimal. Its a real trust so I didn't go overboard. Just the bare essentials.Yes it is legal and I wouldn't call it a loophole more than I would call the ten US parts thing in an AK a loophole. Its just a provision of federal NFA law.Trusts have the same status as corporations under the NFA and never need to be renewed. Got to love a country built by lawyers!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There are other advantages to a trust as well--if its in your name, you've got to retain sole possession (so, even your wife knowing the safe combo is a no-no).

Did a little shooting through a 22 Walther hushed this past weekend. It's almost (ALMOST) as much fun as the Soumi/Stemple FA we had going.

Keep the info coming.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.