Thread: Rivet Size?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Rivet Size?

I guess were all mostly doing rivet builds, but i just finished my first ak47 using screws i know its not for the purest but i really think it looks great. On to rivets , i ordered several sets for 47 and 74 builds, but i would like to buy larger quanities so i dont come up 1 rivet short on a build, Where are they avail in 100+ quanities and the right size and length and alloy? I measured some of the rivet kits and they are all over the board. What are the correct lengths to start out with for the front trunion, rear trunion for folder and fixed, also the trigger guard, Has anyone ever made a chart of suggested sized, could be mighty helpful. Regards Graywolf
    Last edited by hk22045; 10-16-2009 at 04:04 AM.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

AK-Builder AK Build Rivets

Probably a lot of places to get rivets out there.
    But for the money put into kits these days I have had the best luck with AK-Builders rivets.
    He is a sponsor here and I have been dealing with him for many years.
    Have an idea of what you are planning on building and give Curt a call.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Rivets

I bought several sets from Curtiss, and his service is first rate also several tools, I have made and bought several rivet crushers (yet to get a press) I have a CP rivet gun and a monster CP rivet crusher ex Boeing in Seattle, It ears rivets like paper. But i was told that you cound use a rivet gun and was told you could buck front trunion rivets right up against the Barrel. I wanted some rivets (similar in crush rate to practice on, and didnt want to use 50 cents a rivet to hone my skills and equip. on. I tried McMaster Carr and they dont have any thing but aluminum, ebay was a zero. Does anybody have a source? I am not trying to resell and create more competation in the arena, just looking for some cannon fodder (saw a pic on someones workbench with a glass jar full of rivets) Regards Graywolf

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hk22045 View Post
    i was told that you cound use a rivet gun and was told you could buck front trunion rivets right up against the Barrel... I tried McMaster Carr and they dont have any thing but aluminum...
    Bucking against the barrel is a bad idea. I've heard people suggest it, but these are just lazy hackers who are looking for a quick fix and have no concerns about the quality or safety of the build. Think about it for a minute. there is no way to get a proper crush unless the head is sitting flush with the receiver. For it to be short enough to sit flush, it wont even be touching the barrel. If the rivet is long enough to buck against the barrel, it will be sticking out of the receiver by at least a 1/4". You can not drive in a rivet in like a nail and expect it to crush properly.

Mcmaster-Carr does have the correct steel rivet, that's where I buy them from. The part number you want is 97300A105. These are .375 long which works perfect for the trunnion, but needs to be shortened slightly for the TG.

PS; 5/32" = .156, 4mm =.158. the .002 difference is of no concern.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Red face

I just got done re-building my early kits I bucked the rivets against the barrel.
    My experience. They held up for a short time then came loose.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.