Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: MY SONS SWITCH BARREL AK BUILD IDEAS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WELL SINCE NO ONE HAS POSTED IN THE BUILD AREA IN 10 DAYS iLL SHOW A LITTLE UPDATE ON WHAT GOING ON WIHTHIS PROJECTS .

MOLEMAN GOT THE TRUNIONS THREADED AS WELL AS COUPLE BARRELS MADE A NIKE CASE AN SHIPPED IT ALL BACK . HIS WORK IS EXCELENT AN IT ALL FITS PERFECT .

ONE TRUNION IS 1"-16 AN ONE IS 1-1/16" -16

HERE I S A FEW PICS . i HAVEN DECISED HOW CRAZY TO GO HERE MIGHT BE A CUSTOM RECVIER INTHE WORKS ALONG WITH THE z MOUNT .

THERE IS A HEAVY JUST UNDER 1" BULL BARREL ON A gm BLAKN AN A 6MM BRX VARIANT READY TO GO . THE FLUTED BARREL IS A REMINBGTON 300 MAG TAT WILL GET RECHAMBERED BUT THE REMINGTON THREAD WILL SCREW RIGHT INTO ON TRUNION THE OTHER TRUNION TAKES WIN 70 THREADS .

THIS WILL BE A NICE GUN WHEN DONE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Nice man! I was curious as to how you would effectively set the headspace with the threads but I like the sleeve/lock nut/bearing looking device you have there. Just out of curiosity what sort of tool are you going to use to snug that without marring it up?
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'm surprised that no one has come up with a lever setup similar to many MG barrel set up's. Have I missed that here , or has it not been done yet? It seems the collar with a take down lever would be just the ticket and should be fairly easy to do, especially on a relatively simple platform like the AK's and AR's.

Just hashing it over in my head, it seems that it wouldn't be all that hard of an operation to accomplish,,,,Damn,, wish I still had access to machines nowadays so I could experiment with that. It seems like a simple preset collar with a take down lever and and ex-centric/cam to lock the barrel in place should be doable with out any major challenges it would seem to me. A fixed collar, a lever with a cam lobe, and a properly notched barrel,,,Hummmmm,,,should work.

Anyone tried it???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looking good!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jimraynor21 View Post
    Nice man! I was curious as to how you would effectively set the headspace with the threads but I like the sleeve/lock nut/bearing looking device you have there. Just out of curiosity what sort of tool are you going to use to snug that without marring it up?
    A spanner wrench. 1Biggun and I talked back and forth about going with either a hole or slot type spanner wrench to snug up the lock nut. I left them plain so he could figure out which one would be best once he got his hands on them and a wrench of his choice.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    A spanner wrench. 1Biggun and I talked back and forth about going with either a hole or slot type spanner wrench to snug up the lock nut. I left them plain so he could figure out which one would be best once he got his hands on them and a wrench of his choice.

Thanks! Makes sense now because looking at the picture I thought there's no way he is taking vice grips to that piece of art LOL
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There's some company,,Snap -On I think ,,that makes a strap wrench with a square drive for a ratchet,,or a torque wrench to snap into. That would do it. Not sure what max torque might be on them though.

Multiple slots milled in the end might look kinda "trick" though, just find some some standard 2 or 4 tip spanner socket for spacing and mill till it looks pretty.

Here,, I ran out to the shop and grabbed one of my Mercruiser tools so it will better show what I mean. It's big enough it will slip over a 7/8 barrel and with a bit of reaming where the tab is welded on the end,, a 1+" barrel will slide through, that's the ID of the tube, sorry didn't have verniers handy, just a letter opener ruler.

If ya think it's something that might work for ya,, let me know and I'll mail it off to you and you can give it a try and see how it works for ya. And should you need to open up the hole in the tab a bit,,No Problem,,,,,go ahead just don't exceed the ID.

Let me know or PM, either one. Sorry for the crappy pics,,, I really NEED a new camera,,,gerrrrrr!!!

I think I still have your address in my inbox,, 1biggun.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

NOT ALL THE BARRELS WILL HAVE LOCK NUTS . IN FACT MOST WILL BE SET UP WITH OUT . THE 1" BLANK DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH DIAMITER TO HAVE A SHOULDER MACHINED IN .

FROM WHAT i SEE ABOUT 50 -80 POUNDS OF TORQUE SHOULD BE ENOUGH . i SEE GUNS RUNNING SAVAGE AN REMINTON 700 WITH NUTS ANY WERE FROM 35 BOUND TO OVER 100 .

i DONT PLAN ON THESE BEING QUICK CHANGE AS MUCH AS JUST CHANGEABLE . THESE GUNS NEED TO BE ACCURATE SO THYE WILL NEED TO BE SCREWED IN TIGHT AN HELD CORRECTLY . iM USRE I COULD DO A LEVER OR BUTTON OR SET SCREW BUT THATS NOT WHAT iM AFTER . A VICE AN A SPANNER IS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL AN iF I HAD TO DO IT ON THE ROAD i HAVE A HITCH MOUNBT VICE OR IM SURE I COULD MAKE A TOOL. HELL A GREAT BIG CRESEANT WRENCH ON THE RECIVER AN A SPANNER ON THE BARREL AN YOU CAN CHANGE IT ON THE FLOOR

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Here's a type of adjustable spanner that we use at work. We carry all different sizes, and either flat pawl or pin style. The pin style is easier, because you just need anywhere from 1-3 small holes around the circumference of the nut to lock the pin into. Pins are anywhere from 1/8" to 3/16" in the sizes that would be appropriate for this purpose. Proto Tool has a bunch of different types and sizes, as well as standard handle, 1/4" drive, or 3/8" drive, so you can put your torque wrench on them.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.