Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: MY SONS SWITCH BARREL AK BUILD IDEAS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im going to likley use one hole in the nut for a pin type tool . I will be able to spin the tool 360 degrees so I should be able to get away with a single hole . I might o two just in case on strips out or what ever .

I also had a idea for a barrel like wrench with a dowel pin protruding that clamped on the the nut like it would on a a barrel but have the advantage of a pin in a hole in the nut

I can mill a slot just as easy how ever .

I could likely set head space an pinthe nut to the barrel an just use a barrel wrench also . once the head space is set its not likely to need to be readjusted if the barrel is R&R as long as the torgue specs are repeated .

as mentioned before not all barrels will have nut some will have a shoulder to tighten up an just like a bolt action .

I need to get the Z mount figured out an the gas tube an other things I want to test . Im pretty bussy with summer stuff right now .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I got this back on the bench Im looking for a 300BO reamer an a few other things

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'm way out of my league on this one. And I'm probibly completely pissing in the wind,,,,,

But I'd noticed mention of a interrupted thread design with a lock. The Browning 22 take down semi autos had that type set-up, could that be an option, a simple 1/4 turn interrupted thread and slide latch ?? Not having a trunnion in hand sense I've never built a AK platform I may be pissing in the wind here. But I do remember those Brownings being a quite simple design and they worked well and it may just be an option to do something similar with out it turning into something that looks like Rube Goldburg may have built it !!

That Browning was quite simple,,and it worked well without requiring tons of machine work . So just kicking that one out there for shits. That may address some of the other issues I saw brought up too, hand guards,, needing tools to change out, ect.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

there is a company who introduced a ak with a interupted barrel thread a couple years ago i havent ever seen one or heard any more from them since the release at the shot show .

Im mainly doing this to be able to change barrels with out major work . Accuracy is my main goal here so the barrels will be torqued in an will need tools to remove .
    Im sure I could build a quick change set up if I needed to but I have no problem unscrewing a inch of threads if needed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'd was just wondered about something like that sense I believe Sauer, and Browning both have had them in the past.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have considered a quick change or take down version also an its definitely doable.

a interrupted thread could be cut Im sure . I could alos likely make a threaded bushing to go into one of trunnions I have that would take a ar style barrel nut an then use a barrel that has a shoulder like a ar .. those ar 7 or what ever those survival 22lr were that had a n hand tightened nut .

the RSB would need to be rmoved or mdofied so it does not hang over the trunion . something with a galil style gas tube would likely work.

Maybe some day ill build a james bond type suit brief case rifle . like were the sniper sets up his gun on a roof top . an every thing just snaps together in seconds an soem how holds zero for a 1000 yard shot LOL

maybe there is way to do a folding front trunnion then ad a folding stock an it will all unfold to make rifle in 30 second . HMMMMMMMMMMMM It would not be that hard . 16" over all length folded HMMMMMM really jsut need a hinge for the trunnion a a latch hMMMMMMM

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    maybe there is way to do a folding front trunnion then ad a folding stock an it will all unfold to make rifle in 30 second . HMMMMMMMMMMMM It would not be that hard . 16" over all length folded HMMMMMM really jsut need a hinge for the trunnion a a latch hMMMMMMM
    a lugged twist on barrel just seems easier

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

a lugged twist on barrel just seems easier
    Im not sure what you mean or how it would be easier ? any type of interrupted thread of lugs gut into the barrel is not going to be easy .

Im still working on this projects ( slowly) but it will be a screw in replaceable barrel some barrrels will have a nut an some wont depending on the od of the blank .

A take down AK would be a interesting project but a completely different type of build.

I have been looking at getting a arm brace for a pistol set up as a poor mans SBR so to speak set up to fit in a brief case or lunch box has been in my thoughts .

the reciver is about 10 inches long so if that ws the longes part figure on a 9" barrel an trunion assemply that could snap or lock into the recvier fast an you could make a pretty compact pack gun or james bond zombie invasion ninja slayer . that would still have enough barrel for some long range work . ( IM not talking 500 yrds here )

the yugo m70 trunions have a rivet that runs clear through t he trunion that can be replaced with a cross bolt to hold the trunion in a receiver just need some side plates with detent pins an you could have a very fast to remove trunion an barrel assembly .

If I were to ever get a SBR stamp Id do a take down rifle that fit in my lunch box . Likely a folder If I had the stamp

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

sorry i joined this Late

many moons ago the idea to screw the front trunnion and rivet everything else was to allow for quick take off and replace. if you have been doing this since the early 2000's you may remember the cheap romy barrelled front ends. many of us where concerned about burned out barrels ( ammo was cheap then also) but along came the " its go to look factory" crowd and this idea faded execpt for us old timers, as if duplication of a rifel made in a sub standard factory in so warswa pact country was the optimum got to love these guys monkey see monkey do,

and for some guys in those days who wanted too, they were buying milled barrelled front ends and trimming down the sides and the would either rivet or screw them, so they could swap out the barrels and/or front ends
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    sorry i joined this Late

many moons ago the idea to screw the front trunnion and rivet everything else was to allow for quick take off and replace. if you have been doing this since the early 2000's you may remember the cheap romy barrelled front ends. many of us where concerned about burned out barrels ( ammo was cheap then also) but along came the " its go to look factory" crowd and this idea faded execpt for us old timers, as if duplication of a rifel made in a sub standard factory in so warswa pact country was the optimum got to love these guys monkey see monkey do,

and for some guys in those days who wanted too, they were buying milled barrelled front ends and trimming down the sides and the would either rivet or screw them, so they could swap out the barrels and/or front ends
    Sprat - I think something similar to what you mentioned is one of the AK's that azhonkey built where some stuff could be swapped to go from 7.62x25 to 9mm. Everything fit in a briefcase - now to see if I can find a picture of it.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.