Gunco Forums banner

MY SONS SWITCH BARREL AK BUILD IDEAS

16K views 114 replies 24 participants last post by  twa2471 
#1 ·
Im starting a build for my son and he got a box of AK parts and barrels and stuff for Xmas. it will be a 243 0r 260 remington loaded to light pressure.
Its going to be a light weight sporter and I want it as light as i can make it besides the heavy m70 trunion. this will be a outside the box build over the next year were he helps build it. He is 9 and will be able to shoot deer next season. I plan on letting him do as much on it as he can including some of the machine work that way he will know whats going on and how it all works and get some Shop time with Dad. It will have gas shut off as well and he will be shooting this as a non semi auto at first. Baby steps here.

Hes pretty sharp and noticed I had three barrels in the box, a 243, Win 260 Remington and 308 WIn there all model 700 take offs. he asked why there were three barels and I told him we were only going to use one but I hadent decided what one and that id keep the other two. Well hes not one to give stuff back that he just got, so he says way not use them all and just change them.

I have thought of several differant switch barrel assembly set up's in the past but they all required seperate trunions on a screw build. So got to thinking about a threaded barrel set up.

it looks like a 1"-12 thread can be used on the 23mm trunion if the bore is opend up to .9219"
that is .016 more than the factory bore. thats not much metal to get things right with with the boring bar if it dont cut good on the first try. the Yugo bore is not interupted like other trunions were there are hollow spots between the barrel and the trunion. aside from the barrel pin there is no interuptions. I really wish I had a virgin trunion to work with. the RSB will need to be removable or able to slide forward or you will not be able to unscrew the barrel. I was thinking of useing a barrel nut like the savage bolt actions and all barrels will need to be timed but that should not be a issue as once there head spaced correctly they will always be reinstalled in the same place every time.

I have seen were a guy threaded a 410 Saiga in conversion to a 500 S&W so I know it can be done. I think the model 70 Win uses a 1" thread .

this build is going to have a custom Aluminum RSB and likely a GB so I a dont have to worry about traditional looks in fact the less it looks like a AK the better for this build. people get nervious with kids shooting AK,s for some reason LOL.

I was even thinking with a differant bolt I could even do a 410 SG barrel for it.

See less See more
#85 ·
Got the internal threading bar in today. I just ordered it yesterday so it was a surprize when the brown truck showed up. It's a 5/8" and has the proper negative rake angle ground into the flats. It seems idiot proof, so I'll have to give it a run for it's money:lol:

Attachments

#89 ·
Im not sure anymore .

Im thinking the 1" 14 is going to be fine . the length of the treaded area is longer than a 700 reminton an the pith is more threads than a mauser .

a 1 1/16 -16 Remington thread will work also especialy on a Yugo trunion.

#90 ·
This project is advancing with Molemans help .

Im looking to do two threaded trunions one will be 1-1/16"-16 the same as Remington 700 threads. The other is 1" 14 .

I had to redo my computer an I cant get it to post pics right now .

I have a Green Mountian barrel blank that Im going to do a bull barrel build on in 7.62x39 an see how well it can shoot . I also have a 6mm BRX variant chambred an rough turned to be tried.

#91 ·
WELL SINCE NO ONE HAS POSTED IN THE BUILD AREA IN 10 DAYS iLL SHOW A LITTLE UPDATE ON WHAT GOING ON WIHTHIS PROJECTS .

MOLEMAN GOT THE TRUNIONS THREADED AS WELL AS COUPLE BARRELS MADE A NIKE CASE AN SHIPPED IT ALL BACK . HIS WORK IS EXCELENT AN IT ALL FITS PERFECT .

ONE TRUNION IS 1"-16 AN ONE IS 1-1/16" -16

HERE I S A FEW PICS . i HAVEN DECISED HOW CRAZY TO GO HERE MIGHT BE A CUSTOM RECVIER INTHE WORKS ALONG WITH THE z MOUNT .

THERE IS A HEAVY JUST UNDER 1" BULL BARREL ON A gm BLAKN AN A 6MM BRX VARIANT READY TO GO . THE FLUTED BARREL IS A REMINBGTON 300 MAG TAT WILL GET RECHAMBERED BUT THE REMINGTON THREAD WILL SCREW RIGHT INTO ON TRUNION THE OTHER TRUNION TAKES WIN 70 THREADS .

THIS WILL BE A NICE GUN WHEN DONE

Attachments

#92 ·
Nice man! I was curious as to how you would effectively set the headspace with the threads but I like the sleeve/lock nut/bearing looking device you have there. Just out of curiosity what sort of tool are you going to use to snug that without marring it up?

#95 ·
A spanner wrench. 1Biggun and I talked back and forth about going with either a hole or slot type spanner wrench to snug up the lock nut. I left them plain so he could figure out which one would be best once he got his hands on them and a wrench of his choice.

#93 ·
I'm surprised that no one has come up with a lever setup similar to many MG barrel set up's. Have I missed that here , or has it not been done yet? It seems the collar with a take down lever would be just the ticket and should be fairly easy to do, especially on a relatively simple platform like the AK's and AR's.

Just hashing it over in my head, it seems that it wouldn't be all that hard of an operation to accomplish,,,,Damn,, wish I still had access to machines nowadays so I could experiment with that. It seems like a simple preset collar with a take down lever and and ex-centric/cam to lock the barrel in place should be doable with out any major challenges it would seem to me. A fixed collar, a lever with a cam lobe, and a properly notched barrel,,,Hummmmm,,,should work.

Anyone tried it???

#97 ·
There's some company,,Snap -On I think ,,that makes a strap wrench with a square drive for a ratchet,,or a torque wrench to snap into. That would do it. Not sure what max torque might be on them though.

Multiple slots milled in the end might look kinda "trick" though, just find some some standard 2 or 4 tip spanner socket for spacing and mill till it looks pretty.

Here,, I ran out to the shop and grabbed one of my Mercruiser tools so it will better show what I mean. It's big enough it will slip over a 7/8 barrel and with a bit of reaming where the tab is welded on the end,, a 1+" barrel will slide through, that's the ID of the tube, sorry didn't have verniers handy, just a letter opener ruler.

If ya think it's something that might work for ya,, let me know and I'll mail it off to you and you can give it a try and see how it works for ya. And should you need to open up the hole in the tab a bit,,No Problem,,,,,go ahead just don't exceed the ID.

Let me know or PM, either one. Sorry for the crappy pics,,, I really NEED a new camera,,,gerrrrrr!!!

I think I still have your address in my inbox,, 1biggun.

Attachments

#98 ·
NOT ALL THE BARRELS WILL HAVE LOCK NUTS . IN FACT MOST WILL BE SET UP WITH OUT . THE 1" BLANK DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH DIAMITER TO HAVE A SHOULDER MACHINED IN .

FROM WHAT i SEE ABOUT 50 -80 POUNDS OF TORQUE SHOULD BE ENOUGH . i SEE GUNS RUNNING SAVAGE AN REMINTON 700 WITH NUTS ANY WERE FROM 35 BOUND TO OVER 100 .

i DONT PLAN ON THESE BEING QUICK CHANGE AS MUCH AS JUST CHANGEABLE . THESE GUNS NEED TO BE ACCURATE SO THYE WILL NEED TO BE SCREWED IN TIGHT AN HELD CORRECTLY . iM USRE I COULD DO A LEVER OR BUTTON OR SET SCREW BUT THATS NOT WHAT iM AFTER . A VICE AN A SPANNER IS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL AN iF I HAD TO DO IT ON THE ROAD i HAVE A HITCH MOUNBT VICE OR IM SURE I COULD MAKE A TOOL. HELL A GREAT BIG CRESEANT WRENCH ON THE RECIVER AN A SPANNER ON THE BARREL AN YOU CAN CHANGE IT ON THE FLOOR

#100 ·
Here's a type of adjustable spanner that we use at work. We carry all different sizes, and either flat pawl or pin style. The pin style is easier, because you just need anywhere from 1-3 small holes around the circumference of the nut to lock the pin into. Pins are anywhere from 1/8" to 3/16" in the sizes that would be appropriate for this purpose. Proto Tool has a bunch of different types and sizes, as well as standard handle, 1/4" drive, or 3/8" drive, so you can put your torque wrench on them.

Attachments

#101 ·
Im going to likley use one hole in the nut for a pin type tool . I will be able to spin the tool 360 degrees so I should be able to get away with a single hole . I might o two just in case on strips out or what ever .

I also had a idea for a barrel like wrench with a dowel pin protruding that clamped on the the nut like it would on a a barrel but have the advantage of a pin in a hole in the nut

I can mill a slot just as easy how ever .

I could likely set head space an pinthe nut to the barrel an just use a barrel wrench also . once the head space is set its not likely to need to be readjusted if the barrel is R&R as long as the torgue specs are repeated .

as mentioned before not all barrels will have nut some will have a shoulder to tighten up an just like a bolt action .

I need to get the Z mount figured out an the gas tube an other things I want to test . Im pretty bussy with summer stuff right now .

#103 ·
I'm way out of my league on this one. And I'm probibly completely pissing in the wind,,,,,

But I'd noticed mention of a interrupted thread design with a lock. The Browning 22 take down semi autos had that type set-up, could that be an option, a simple 1/4 turn interrupted thread and slide latch ?? Not having a trunnion in hand sense I've never built a AK platform I may be pissing in the wind here. But I do remember those Brownings being a quite simple design and they worked well and it may just be an option to do something similar with out it turning into something that looks like Rube Goldburg may have built it !!

That Browning was quite simple,,and it worked well without requiring tons of machine work . So just kicking that one out there for shits. That may address some of the other issues I saw brought up too, hand guards,, needing tools to change out, ect.

#104 ·
there is a company who introduced a ak with a interupted barrel thread a couple years ago i havent ever seen one or heard any more from them since the release at the shot show .

Im mainly doing this to be able to change barrels with out major work . Accuracy is my main goal here so the barrels will be torqued in an will need tools to remove .
Im sure I could build a quick change set up if I needed to but I have no problem unscrewing a inch of threads if needed.

#106 ·
I have considered a quick change or take down version also an its definitely doable.

a interrupted thread could be cut Im sure . I could alos likely make a threaded bushing to go into one of trunnions I have that would take a ar style barrel nut an then use a barrel that has a shoulder like a ar .. those ar 7 or what ever those survival 22lr were that had a n hand tightened nut .

the RSB would need to be rmoved or mdofied so it does not hang over the trunion . something with a galil style gas tube would likely work.

Maybe some day ill build a james bond type suit brief case rifle . like were the sniper sets up his gun on a roof top . an every thing just snaps together in seconds an soem how holds zero for a 1000 yard shot LOL

maybe there is way to do a folding front trunnion then ad a folding stock an it will all unfold to make rifle in 30 second . HMMMMMMMMMMMM :) It would not be that hard . 16" over all length folded HMMMMMM really jsut need a hinge for the trunnion a a latch hMMMMMMM

#108 ·
a lugged twist on barrel just seems easier
Im not sure what you mean or how it would be easier ? any type of interrupted thread of lugs gut into the barrel is not going to be easy .

Im still working on this projects ( slowly) but it will be a screw in replaceable barrel some barrrels will have a nut an some wont depending on the od of the blank .

A take down AK would be a interesting project but a completely different type of build.

I have been looking at getting a arm brace for a pistol set up as a poor mans SBR so to speak set up to fit in a brief case or lunch box has been in my thoughts .

the reciver is about 10 inches long so if that ws the longes part figure on a 9" barrel an trunion assemply that could snap or lock into the recvier fast an you could make a pretty compact pack gun or james bond zombie invasion ninja slayer . that would still have enough barrel for some long range work . ( IM not talking 500 yrds here )

the yugo m70 trunions have a rivet that runs clear through t he trunion that can be replaced with a cross bolt to hold the trunion in a receiver just need some side plates with detent pins an you could have a very fast to remove trunion an barrel assembly .

If I were to ever get a SBR stamp Id do a take down rifle that fit in my lunch box . Likely a folder If I had the stamp

#109 ·
sorry i joined this Late

many moons ago the idea to screw the front trunnion and rivet everything else was to allow for quick take off and replace. if you have been doing this since the early 2000's you may remember the cheap romy barrelled front ends. many of us where concerned about burned out barrels ( ammo was cheap then also) but along came the " its go to look factory" crowd and this idea faded execpt for us old timers, as if duplication of a rifel made in a sub standard factory in so warswa pact country was the optimum got to love these guys monkey see monkey do,

and for some guys in those days who wanted too, they were buying milled barrelled front ends and trimming down the sides and the would either rivet or screw them, so they could swap out the barrels and/or front ends

#110 ·
Sprat - I think something similar to what you mentioned is one of the AK's that azhonkey built where some stuff could be swapped to go from 7.62x25 to 9mm. Everything fit in a briefcase - now to see if I can find a picture of it. :)

#111 ·
That one used an uzi barrel nut IIRC Sniper69. I don't recall if that build was a blow back or gas op, but I believe it was blowback. Neither build would put as much stress on a barrel nut as a rifle caliber build would.

1biggun could modify the threads on his barrels and trunnions to an interrupted thread, but you don't gain much from it.

#112 ·
understandable, just figured something similar could be done for rifle caliber - but hadn't thought about it to much. azhonkey's build did have an uzi barrel nut, here is one pic I found of it.

#113 ·
I'd missed that particular one,, that's very sweet!!! Were there any other detailed pictures of the trunnion/nut detail?

Inquiring minds ya know!!! I love seeing all the stuff you guys come up with, very interesting and creative sometimes. I'm learning more here every day,,not that it is necessarily a good thing,,,

you guys just keep giving me to many good ideas I can't afford or just don't have the tools to accomplish nowadays !!!!

Ya Buggers!!!:geezer: You ,,ARE,, bad influences I tell ya!!!!

#114 ·
Here is another picture.

and

and not to take away from this thread - but he did another build (non-AK) that is made from parts from a few (4?) different guns. It can be viewed at weaponeer http://www.weaponeer.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7406&PN=1

1biggun - any other ideas on the barrel swap idea? Maybe something like Meeper (Vern) did for the fal?

Or one that shoots 7.62x51, 5.56, and .50 beowulf.

Maybe some of these pics can give ideas to utilize for a switch barrel AK idea. :)

#115 ·
Oh wow,, those are some kinda slick!!! And simple too,,very very nice,,,,,

You know,, with all the talent that's here there could be some good companies put together that would rival some of the current manufactures stuff,, with no problem at all. Thanks for putting those pics up sniper69. More ideas for the memory banks,,,Love it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.