MY SONS SWITCH BARREL AK BUILD IDEAS - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: MY SONS SWITCH BARREL AK BUILD IDEAS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I guess I'm missing something. The way I'm envisioning it I'd thread the nut onto the barrel at the breech end. Turn it on, advancing it toward the muzzle until it contacts the thread shoulder.

Turn the barrel/nut combo into the threaded trunnion, advance/retreat until headspace is set, then tighten the nut against the trunnion. Re-check headspace and if still correct, make witness marks on trunnion and barrel for future headspacing and retiming.
    that would work if I used a nut the same size or bigger than the trunion threads. every thing else would be the same as you described. except the smaller nut would still go against the trunion. it just goes on from the front and stays with the barrel with the Gb installed. this will you to reduce the profile and also use all the take off barrels out there that can be rechambered.

here some picks how it looks on a a trunion with a nut it still locks on the trunion face just the nut threads are smaller ID to take advantage of the profile reducing on many barrels and to allow a nut to clear the RSB as well allow modifed factry hand guards to fit.

got to think out side the box guys HMMMMM a OTB47 swithbarrel rifle would be a good name
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have a idea for a way to eleminate the nut that Im keeping to myself untill I can test it I may try to market it and if it works It will be slick and would allow a barrel to be changed in about 30 It still will require threads on the barrle and trunion but will not regure any weird mods to any thing and would not look weird. Ive told one member to document my idea. If it works it will be easy to copy by the home builder.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

OK, gotcha. You want to keep a lot of meat in the chamber area while using a small nut to cinch the barrel to the trunnion. Not so much thinking out of the box as not understanding the goal.

Sounds like a plan on your barrel-fixing device. Hope it works!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I see where youre coming from now. I missed the previous part about stepping the barrel with two different therad sizes.

What about switching the barrel parts (RSB & GB) out with larger Yugo M72 pieces?
    Thats what I figured

the trunion in the picture is a m72 B2 and it is waht Im going to use on a the 300 savage and likley most of these builds. Ill be putting a 243, 260, 7mm-08, 308 and other barrels like 35 remington, 444 rimless marlin wild cat. grendel, 22-250, on a a bulged yugo rtrunion and hand all these at safe pressures .Im also looking at doing the same to my 308 Saiga and using a 300 wsm and 270 wsm barrel 6.5mm285 to lighter pressures and the barrels mentiond above and many more. on the 308 SAGIA the others can be loaded to 63,000 at least. my is one gun and a dozen barrels for any application as well as a 410 Shotgun barrel possably. hell might even do a 7.62x25 as well for it.

The 22 mm trunion in the AK74 is ideal for a 24mm thread and would need no boring to thread (I think)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

OK, gotcha. You want to keep a lot of meat in the chamber area while using a small nut to cinch the barrel to the trunnion. Not so much thinking out of the box as not understanding the goal.

Sounds like a plan on your barrel-fixing device. Hope it works!
    not so much wayout side the box just a bunch of new ideas and processes to build a rifle. I meant no insult to any one BTW. I wish i could draw on the computer to illistrate my ideas.

This stuff better work I got close to a grand in parts and barrels and tooling tied up in making this happen. The entire gun will be way out side side the box when done besides there will likely be no part un modifed in some way Im hoping to put every thing have into this one. Im thinking engine turned stainless reciver possably. and a bunch of other trick stuff.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

What about switching the barrel parts (RSB & GB) out with larger Yugo M72 pieces?
    sorry I thought you were talking m70 trunion.

the The RSB will be all custom and stay with the gun when the baarrels are removed the GB will be custom or L1A1 adjustable blocks on the barrels that are thinner no front sights or hand gurd bracket will be used cant have the RSB on the barrel if you want to unscrew it and most of the barrels except the super light one he will hunt with will be much bigger than a a m70 RSB any way. Im planing a couple versions some may be mostly stock appearing and Ill like do at least one open sight barrel as well for hunting in rain.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    there are other threads that might be closer small ring mauser uses a 1.10"-12 thread that requires 1.018 hole.
    I have used several REM take offs for small ring mausers but they cant be used for LR
    “Those that would give up essential liberty in pursuit of a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

If you want to think "outside the box",why not start thinking of ways to make it work without the factory RSB and handguards. As you said, you could'nt screw or unscrew a barrel with the orig. RSB anyway.
    Come up with a custom handguard arrangement that will work around your design, rather than hinder it.
    Look at the way a Galil gas tube mounts and is held in place on an AK type receiver. Very easy to convert to a standard AK trunnion. It does away with the RSB completely but you still have a gas piston gun.
    Just a few thoughts..........................

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If you want to think "outside the box",why not start thinking of ways to make it work without the factory RSB

Thats a given and discussed some were on this site. The scope will stay on the gun when barrels are changed and I hope to be able to chart what barrels need what turns of the dials from a base setting so sight in not required for each barrel change.

there will be a custom RSB that holds the optics over the reciver. the hand guards will be floating with possably a bipod that folds into it flush fitting, the the GB's will be adjustable and will also use multipul ports on some of them , the entire FGC /trigger guardwill drop out of the reciver and there will be a target FGC and A hunting FGC that quick change, the Stock is undecided right now but likely a tumbhole set up in nice wood witha ajjustable comb and but pad, Im looking at stainless for the reciver, pushbuttion safety. muzzel brake that turns on and of as well as just closes the bottom in the prone position to keep dust down on some of the barrels, replacable ejectors, sleaved fitted bolts, ajustable rails that controll carrier play, a mag well that will accept more than one mag style.

It will be able to handle at least the following caliburs. 17-223, 17 remington, 223, 22-250, 22AR, 22 cheatah, 243 Win, 6.5 grendel, 260 Rem, 6.8SPC, 7mm-08, 7.62x25, 7.62x39, 308, 300 savage, 35,remington, 358win, 444marlin Rimless, 450 bushmaster, 410 SG and also looking at eventulay doing a blow back carriers for 22lr 22 mag 17hmr, 9mm, 45acp ect. also have some other ideas for a Saiga build that include 300 WSM and some wildcats based on it. Ive considerd SBR'ing it and even doing a couple shorty barrels as well. and I hope to be able to swap barrels from one build to the other so that is going to require a indexable GB likely.

about the only thing factory will be the carrriers bolts and trunion and they will be modifed. hell I even have a idea for a retractable sling. Im looking at engine turnig parts, engraving, electricaless nickel finish on the steel parts, titainum, carbonfiber, ect.

The 223 heavy varmit barrel arrived today. as well as some 300 Savage brass.

I could have just got him a browning BAR in 243 for much less but what fun would that be. This build/buids will be a huge undertaking and its getting expensive. I hope to do my boy a basic 3 barrel set by spring to get him shooting and keep adding to it as time allows. Im considering getting a second 308 Saiga as a doner gun so I dont have to load light and all factroy ammo could be used. A lot is undecided and compormises will have to be made in some areas.

Here are some of the barrels for it so far I have others as well. Im starting to think I shold have just done a quick change remington 700 LOL

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I got to working on this some more today.

I found out that a 1 1/16"- 16 threads on the remington 700 barrels will not clean up at 1" OD. However after doing some measuring it looks like after facing the breach off so that the chamber is flush with the breach and not recessed that there is only about a half of inch of threads remaning. the barrel on a AK protudes past the bore about that and the OD would need to be reduced to under 23mm any way so this may still be doable with a remington factory chamberd barrel still with a 1"-12 standerd fine thread.

I have no idea if a 1-12 thread is sutiable to hold the barrel in but I suspect it is.

I chambed the Stainless barrel in 300 savage and so far so good I need to get the trunion bored about .020" bigger and threaded. and then try to thread the barrel on the lathe.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.