Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: MY SONS SWITCH BARREL AK BUILD IDEAS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1Biggun, if you're putting a muzzle brake on your sons barrel to bring it up to 16", consider making a Levang type comp. They work pretty well to direct the muzzle blast down range on my 223 coyote gun. For a youngster it would be nice not to have all the muzzle blast frpm that short of a barrel which can make some people start flinching. I also don't think a custom levang style brake would be that hard to make either.
    Ill check it out. he will have plugs and muffs on for target but hunting is a whole differant matter and running a break then can cause issues.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

DPMS : Levang Linear Compensator - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

priced right how much recoil rduction does it give compared to a traditional break??

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The levang is nothing to look at, but they bring my 223 blast down to less than my 17hmr. I got one because I'm already deaf enough and you don't always have time to get your ear muffs/plugs on it time while hunting. I'm using it on a 223 ar15 so I don't thing those things kick hard enough to notice a difference.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I spent a good part of yesterday looking into various threads and avalaible taps and such an i decided to go with a 16 thread. there is some 14 threadtaps out there but I like the idea of using original threads on the winchester barrels and others. according to my sources a 15/16-32 would give 80% thread engagememnt and a 15/16-27 would give 66% on a 23mm trunion that was .905".

here is a sight with a really handy tap drill size calculator. if 22 mm trunions were more plentifal then there would be some other options as well.

Tap Drill Sizes

Im trying to stay with non metric sizes as I cant cut many metric threads.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im still working on this thought Id bunmp it up. The trunion threading is the hold up so far.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

So how is it coming along? Any pics of current configuration?

Did you see the quick disconnect barrel system from US Palm? That would be a perfect setup to use for a quick change barrel setup, so you could shoot multiple calibers.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The US palm thread Is what got me to find this thread and Bump it up. I like there set up but i dont think it will stay tight like Id want on a target type build. Id like to have one of there trunons to play with. If some one is going to all the trouple to make a special trunion why not make it around a 3 lug bolt give us what we want a AK more sutiable to high power loads. take there trunion add a 3 lug bolt sell it in a 308 with a couple of barrels to go with it. a 22-250 and 243 or other. add a extra bolt and mag addapeter and you could also have x39, 223, pistol caliburs. I Like what they did but just making it a brake doawn dont add a lot to the usefulness of the gun with out other barrels. how small you need a AK to store or transport it????

as far as my project its still sitting here. ive collected a few taps and some tooling but havent done much. i want to do it right. yugo trunions are not cheap any more.

I bored the trunion to a larger size to thread it and then stared thinking of going to a differant thread size. I had to pull the trunion out of the mill and lost my set up and I havent got back at it yet. Im debating on what thread to go with. I am still collecting barrels. its about 3 degrees in the shop right now and Im swamped with other work.
    I also wanted to get a virgin trunion with no pin hole as well but money has been tight for stuff like that. im working on a 243 AK currently and trying to get the bugs out of my G3 mag set up on a nonmachined trunion. If and when I get it dialed in Ill use the set up on the switch barrel build.

I also want to get my 444????? wild cat up and running as well as it will be one of the caliburs that ill be doing for the switch barrel build.

I ended up building my son a light weight x39 with a ar stock and canterlever scope to hunt with for now. m hoping to perfect my 308win type conversins a little better before building him that one special gun for him. Im sort of looking for a super Vepr 308 full length wood stock for this build as well and so far I havent seen any for sale.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WELL ITS BEEN OVER A YEAR AN I HAVE GOT NO WERE .

IM TALKING TO A MEMBER WHO CAN MAYBE HELP ME ON THE THREADING AN I BOUGHT A VIRGIN M70 TRUNION THE DAY THE SCHOOL SHOOTING TOOOK PLACE.

THIS IS GOING TO GET BUILT JUST NOT SURE EXACTLY WHT THE PLAN IS YET.
    I NEEDED TO REREAD AL I HAD WROTE TO EVEN REMEAMBER WERE IM AT.

I JUST KNOW THAT IF THERE ARE GUN LAWS PASSED THAT IF YOU WANT A DIFFERNAT CALIBRE AK IN THE FUTURE YOU WILL NEED TO WORK WITH THE RECVIERS YOU HAVE AS THERE IS NO GURANTEE THAT WE WILL BE ALLOWED NEW ONES.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE MY 6MM BR VARIANT TO BE ABLE HAVE A REALLY HEAVY BARREL AN SCREW INTO A RECVIER SO IM GOING TO BE RESTARTING ON THIS BUILD .

ANY WAY BUMPING IT UP SO I CAN HAVE A MEAMBER FIND IT .

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Took a while to read back through the thread. There was a question on the barrel threads being thick enough on the heavier bulged trunions to handle 60k psi. Ruger 77 (and some push feed Winchesters) uses 1"-16tpi (minor diameter .919") which isn't much off of where a 23mm trunion is, or 1"-14tpi (minor .907"). I haven't heard of ruger 77's or push feed winchesters failing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I haven't heard of ruger 77's or push feed winchesters failing.

NO AN I HAVE SEENTHE BARREL SPLIT FROM OBSTRUCTED BORE ON A RUGGER M77 AN THE BARREL WAS IN BLACE AN THE RECVIER WAS STILL USABLE . LIKELY SAW 120,000 PSI

AN SOME OF THOSE PUSH FEEDS IN 22-250 LIKELY SEE CLOSE TO 70,000 psi WITH HAND LOADS . SAMMI IS 65,000 ON THAT ROUND. IM NOT GOING TO LOAD PAST 50,000 OR AROUND SMALL RING MAUSER PRESSURES .

LOTS OF LEVER ACTIONS WITH EVEN SMALLER ODS THAN THAT AN SHOOT OVER 50,000 PSI ON A .470 CASE HEAD . .

I FOUND ALL MY TAPS AN STUFF TODAY FOR THIS PROJECT .

WILLIE IS RUNNING A 500 S&W ON A TREADED 410 SAIGA TRUNION THAT I THINK IS 22 MM?? WILLIE YOU THERE.

A VIRGIN RPK TRUNION WITH NO BARREL PIN HOLE AN CUT OUTS FOR RIVETS HAS MORE SURFACE AREA THAN A LARGE RING MAUSER . THE TREADABLE ARE IS ABOUT
    .735" LONG . A 12 TPI LARGE RING MAUSER THREAD IS ONLY ABOUT .640 LONG

BTW M70,S YUGO RPKS OR ANY OTHER ak THAT HAS THE SAME RIVET PATTERN DOES NOT HAVE RIVET CUTS INTHE BORE AREA. THEY WOULD BE MY FIRST CHOICE

SMALL RING MAUSER IS ALSO 12 TPI BUT SMALLER

ALSO DONT FOGET THERE ARE MILLIONS OF MILLED AKS WITH A THREADED BARREL OF ??

MY MAIN CONCERN IS GETTING THE HARDEND TRUNION THREADED .
    THE YUGOS SEEM HARDER THAN A ROMMY OR OTHER I HAD A HELL OF A TIME GETTING ONE READY FOR A SCREW BUILD LAST WEEK I WNET THROUGH 3 TAPS BUT GOT IT DONE ANTHE HOLES WERE LARGER THAN WHAT THE TRHREAD CALLS FOR .
    I DID BORE ONE WITH A CARBIDE CUTTER HOW EVER .

THIS PROJECT WILL HAPPEN

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.