Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: MY SONS SWITCH BARREL AK BUILD IDEAS

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1biggun, I was curious as to how much the threads would be effected on a remington barrel if it was rethreaded to 1"-14tpi since 1-14 taps and dies are about half of what 1-16 ones are. I chucked up a section of 1.25" 4150, took a skim cut and threaded to .009" deep with the lathe set at 16tpi which would be about what is left on the remington barrel turned to 1". Then changed the threads to 1-14 and started over. This was just a quick test, so I didn't grind a new bit and just used an indexible bit which had a slight radius to the tip. You wouldn't normally use one for threading since it would leave the bottem of the "V" rounded....which it did and you can see if you click on the pic. But, we're wondering about the tops of the threads, so it works just fine. Since the tip is wider it would also increase the criss cross areas. If you look real close you can see where the old threads crossed the new. Cut with a proper bit, I don't think it's an issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I could live with that.

also about 1/2 of the threads in the trunion will be fresh an a lot of the originals well be removed an un used were its through the trunion.

I got the 1-14 tap also to clean up the trunion if needed.

I wish 1 1/16-16 dies were cheap.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thats what I thought. it kind of just looked like there were a couple of light dings in the threads similar to a remington barrel I've had kicking around for a while. Not a big deal especially since it's not a ding, the metal is just gone. 1-14 has a minor diameter just .012" smaller than the 1-16 on ruger 77s and some winchesters so I think it's a non issue all the way around. 1-14 taps/dies seem to be the cheapest of all the options. A cheap good quality 1 1/16-16 tap would be nice to find.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I HAVE A 1 1/16- 16 TAP I ALSO HAVE SEVERAL 1 -14 TAPS

I DONT HAVE ANY DIES.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Got the internal threading bar in today. I just ordered it yesterday so it was a surprize when the brown truck showed up. It's a 5/8" and has the proper negative rake angle ground into the flats. It seems idiot proof, so I'll have to give it a run for it's money
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

NICE . I hope it is as soli as it looks .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have been staring at the barrel pin hole that will no be used thinking I could tap it for a anchor point on a cantilver sight or whay to attach the RSB to the trunion it wont attach to the barrel an im pretty sure its doable

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    any of you engineer types know if a 1"-12 thread is sufficient to properly keep a rifle barrel in place?? Winchester uses 1"-16 threads. in not sure what formulas or calculations to use or how to do them if i had them. I think it would be fine. I also want to be able to account for the voids on some trunions that wont have threads.

looking for advice from guys who do this stuff for a living.

figure 65,000 psi chamber pressure and a .540 case head that will cover any likely magnum round down the road and giver a comfort zone on a normal round.

I see coarser threads on different rifles like the small ring Mauser etc, as well as smaller IDs on lever actions and other high power rifles. Id just like to get some thoughts on this before I sacrifice a trunion.

what is the name of the site that has all the home built guns and machine shop stuff???? Im drawing a blank. I know some of those guys deal in this stuff regularly.
    Are you thinking of the Roderus homegunsmith site?
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im not sure anymore .

Im thinking the 1" 14 is going to be fine . the length of the treaded area is longer than a 700 reminton an the pith is more threads than a mauser .

a 1 1/16 -16 Remington thread will work also especialy on a Yugo trunion.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

This project is advancing with Molemans help .

Im looking to do two threaded trunions one will be 1-1/16"-16 the same as Remington 700 threads. The other is 1" 14 .

I had to redo my computer an I cant get it to post pics right now .

I have a Green Mountian barrel blank that Im going to do a bull barrel build on in 7.62x39 an see how well it can shoot . I also have a 6mm BRX variant chambred an rough turned to be tried.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.