Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Krinkenstein build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The barrel may be barely short enough to do that in my 7x14 lathe. However, I think the rifiling and the extractor cut would still probably throw it off center though. Also I wouldn't be able to work on boring out the expansion chamber in muzzle the end of the barrel with a live center in the way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wow! It's been a while since I've been on this forum and a lot's been going on since I posted last. I graduated from gunsmith school in December 2010, moved to Montana and bought a house up here. The gunsmith shop never happened due to lack of help I was promised by the VA, but as a sort of compensation they sent me back to school. I'm currently going to Montana Tech full time to get my AAS in Drafting Technology. I should be done with that by the end of the Fall 2014 semester. I'm still working on guns but it's turned into more of a hobby than a prospective business. The M76 kit I had was used for my final project at gunsmithing school and I still have it. The Krinkenstein project is in a box waiting for me to get back to work on it. Fixing the house and keeping up with the "Honey-do" list seems to be keeping it on the back burner for a while longer. I'll post up when I start back up on it in case anyone is still interested in it.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Welcome back

Sorry to hear about the gunsmithing dream
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The VA Voc Rehab counselor down in Denver was all for it , but the ones up here in MT took a more liberal view of it and pretty much flat out said NO.

Oh well, I'll just keep my hobbies as hobbies and that should keep me from getting sick of working on my own guns anyway.

On a side note I've still got all my equipment from when I was building AK's in CO and even expanded the machine tool collection. The 7 x 14 mini lathe is pretty much the same, the X2 mini-mill is getting converted to CNC (75% done), the TH-54 Atlas lathe is finally undergoing a complete rebuild/restoration (maybe 66% done) and last year I picked up a Bridgeport Series 1 J-Head mill with a Mintuyo (sp?) 2 axis DRO on it. The Bridgeport is pretty nice and I've been giving it a workout lately making some airplane parts for a couple of ultralights I'm getting started building.

I'm not sure how much I'll be posting as I'll be going back to school again soon and my forum presence usually drops off sharply once I start hitting the books.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Nice to see you still kicking around Brother.
    I thought you fell off the face of the earth!!
    Post up some pics when you start playing with the ultalights!!
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Welcome back! Don't tell certain folks you welded on the front trunion...
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I didn't. The head of the instructors at the gunsmithing school TIG'd it for me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoMopar440 View Post
    I didn't. The head of the instructors at the gunsmithing school TIG'd it for me.
    Yeah that was an inside joke. To explain, we had a discussion here some time ago whether to weld on a front trunion or not. I felt it was okay as long as you controlled your heat, others thought it was a bad idea. We settled on the fact that folks with limited welding skills shouldn't attempt it. And I'm sure your instructor knew what he was doing.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I figured as much from the sound of your post. As you can see in the pics the welded area was contained to the angled ears above the barrel pin. I'm not loosing any sleep over it.

On a side note about that M70 kit I swiped the front trunion from. I recently found a rear Yugo M70 trunion with the UF stock still on it. Guess what's the only part I'm now missing from the M70 kit... DOH!

Feedback Score

how weird, I read this post back in 2010 and was thinking about it 2 weeks ago, found it today and saw where you had just come back after all this time, me too brother, I really wanted to see this thing finished

good luck to ya

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.