For those of you that didn't catch the origins of this build idea in the other threads, here's the current configuration.
Not much new for details here yet other than what was already mentioned in the other threads. I'm still hunting some (a lot) of parts to complete this build. I do have a few parts on hand already so I decided to start fabricating some of the custom pieces from them.
I measured the RSB and front trunnion and marked where I wanted to remove metal. First I hacked the bottom of the RSB off and levelled the bottom edge on the belt sander. I also removed and levelled the top where the ears for the rear sight leaf were. Next I cut out the middle and belt sanded the front and rear pieces until they were the correct legnth. I made it so the top cover wouldn't have to be modified to fit when the forward edge is lined up with the front of the trunnion.
Next the two pieces will be welded together and then the top and sides ground/filed back down till they are flush. Once that's done, I'll clamp it to the top of the trunnion and see where I need to make a notch for the bottom of the gas tube.
I already cut the Yugo RPK barrel in half and rough cut some of the cooling fins off where it will be rethreaded. I don't have a bore dial indicator at home so I'll have to make the final cuts at school. I still also need to cut off the chamber end of the barrel about halfway through the RSB area to get the overall legnth I want. Then I can rechamber and reprofile the barrel.
I also got a Krink cone muzzle brake and cut it down to the approximate size I wanted. I can't do much more with it until I get the barrel finished though.
This is going to be a (very) long term project. The biggest factor will be the time needed to find and make the custom parts.
More to come later...