Thread: any links for cutting receiver for a double hook trigger

Feedback Score

Default any links for cutting receiver for a double hook trigger

i would like to use double hook triggers on my builds,Ithought i seen a thread showing pics of the cuts and the length,width of the but cant find it now thanks if any one can help me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I cut my own.
    I use a dremel with a drum diamond bit .
    Basically match the size, and length of the cut for a single hook just on the other side.

Pookie has Dr.Strangelove's AK receiver plans with dimensions of the cuts you want to make on his webpage.
    Perhaps this would be helpful to your build, and thanks to Pookie for hosting this template.
    http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...rplan_rev2.pdf

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Just grind down the bottom of one side of the double hook trigger, where it would go through the receiver and you wont have too make the cut.
    The other side will have the slot, giving you the full swing for the trigger.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Trim as indicated. Test as you go. It can limit over-travel and make a sweet trigger pull.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

+2 on cutting the trigger itself. I have done it both ways and prefer to just cut on the trigger instead of the reciever.

Feedback Score

is their much difference in the double hook and the single hook? i never changed the hook on my nornico mak90 so i never tryed one

Feedback Score

No real difference at all. Once the rate reducer was added to the AKM design the right hand hook was eliminated to make room. The Chinese and some Yugoslavians never used the reducer so they kept the double hook.
    The only advantage IMHO is that if you trim a double vs modding the receiver or limit the depth of the right hand cutout and do it carefully you can limit the trigger overtravel and notice a nice trigger pull that ends as the hammer releases. Not a big deal but nice. Easy to grind and fit the right lower hook. Test fit for proper release point of the hammer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Another advantage is redundancy, probably why the original design used two hooks. If a single hook trigger snaps the hook, you have a dead rifle until you can get it replaced. A double snaps a hook, you just converted it to a single hook and keep on shootin'. Also, with the forces spread out over two hooks, it is less likely to break in the first place.

Some receivers lack the bump on the right rail that keeps the hammer centered, there have been reports of the hammer walking over enough for the hammer to miss a single hook trigger, a double eliminates this possibility.

Feedback Score

Since the US rifles are missing the auto sear and the rate reducer they lack the lateral support on the axis pin that a FA rifle has. Seldom an issue but a shim may be required to fill the void.

Feedback Score

Note the original double hook receiver slots are shorter than the original single receiver slot. If the second slot is made as long as the single slot the trigger may over rotate and cause the the hammer to miss the disconnector hook. The original advantage to building with the double hook triggers was that the original Federal and Tapco flats came with right side lower bolt rails that did not have the bulge at the hammer axis pin hole. This sometimes allowed the hammer to walk on its axis pin and slip out from under the single hook trigger. With proper bulged right side lower bolt rails or an RPK or thick receiver build the single hook trigger works fine. In a standard AKM / AK-74 receiver, if the right side lower bolt rail has a bulge around the hammer axis pin the single hook trigger should work fine. Note that the Tapco single hook trigger is based on the short slot double hook trigger design and not the standard long slot single hook trigger design.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.