Thread: PTG Go Gauge

Feedback Score

Default PTG Go Gauge

Has anyone had any issues with a PTG 7.62x39 Go Gauge?
    I checked the headspace on a new AK and it didn't headspace properly. It wouldn't close on either Go or No-Go. I checked with a Wolf round and had no problem, I checked on Yugo surplus and it was a little snug but went with 1 finger. I tried many different approaches short of disassembling the bolt. I know it is recommended to check with the pin and extractor removed but I didn't. I did thoroughly clean the bolt face and chamber.
    I haven't used this gauge before and once I saw this issue I checked an SKS and another AK that I know have had thousands of rounds through them and had not a single problem. Neither of them closed either.
    The bolt closes as much with the Go gauge as the No-Go gauge so I am a little suspicious of the gauge rather than the firearm. I have not measured with my micrometer but will tonight. But from the looks of it, the rim on the No-Go is a little thicker whereas the length from the base of the rim to the shoulder of the gauge on the Go is actually longer. It almost seems as though Go gauge might be a Field Gauge. Is this a possibility?
    I won't be firing this rifle with live ammo until it's measured but I'd like to know if anyone else had a similar experience or can add anything to my issue?

Feedback Score

I think their gauges are made to American SAAMI specs. I have the drawings for the PTG gauges. The main difference in the Go gauge is the shoulder angle is different in SAAMI specs than the Euro specs. This will throw the length off a bit. I don't know if it will make it measure longer or shorter though. PTG adds 0.005 inch for No-Go and another 0.005 inch for Field.

Feedback Score

I actually just got off the phone with the owner (I believe) of PTG, really nice guy. He asked me to send the 2 gauges back to him for inspection and possible re-certification. He wonders if they are damaged or in a rare instance possibly mis-marked.

Feedback Score

They do seem to be a good company.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I checked on Yugo surplus and it was a little snug but went with 1 finger
    well if live ammo is tight then I suspect that explains why it wont close on a guage. you should not have to use a finger to get the action to close. I suspect your head space is tight. I cant say why all your other guns wont close on the guage but if live ammo is tight I suspect the gun is to tight.

I have seen many matching kits that didnt quite close on my Clymer guages yet its very likely the kits were correct on a factory guage. I personaly use SAMMI spec guages. My dies form brass to a SAMMI spec so it makes sence to set the chamber to the ammo I'll be shooting. PTG dont make junk so send them back and see what they say. there a good company.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.