Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Stock on Champion or Draco for SBR

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Fixed Stock on Champion or Draco for SBR

I am considering getting a Champion pistol to SBR, but would like a fixed stock. Would removing the rear of the Champion or Draco's receiver and adding a traditional Romanian rear AKM trunion be all that's required? Would it be fairly simple? I'd have a gunsmith do it.

Thanks.

Here's the Draco that inspired me.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Yep. just two rivet holes to relocate and weld up the old ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    There's just something about the wood look. I love the look of well polished wood.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bohnscot View Post
    Yep. just two rivet holes to relocate and weld up the old ones.

Thank you! I think I'm gonna go for it. I think the Champion and Draco pistols have an 11.5" barrel. Would this majorly affect the accuracy of the .223 round out to 100 yards?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I think the Champion and Draco pistols have an 11.5" barrel. Would this majorly affect the accuracy of the .223 round out to 100 yards?
    Do you mean having a short barrel? It should be just as good as a 16" barrel (or close to it), it's the long shots that will be less accurate.
    I got a 7 1/2" barreled AR pistol and bench it to shoot at clay birds at 100 yards once & a while, it's not super accurate but I can still hit the birds
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Do you mean having a short barrel? It should be just as good as a 16" barrel (or close to it), it's the long shots that will be less accurate.
    I got a 7 1/2" barreled AR pistol and bench it to shoot at clay birds at 100 yards once & a while, it's not super accurate but I can still hit the birds
    Yes, I was concerned that the .223 round fired from an 11.5" barrel would not be very accurate. However, it would be for no further than 100 yards. Thank you for the info.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The accuracy can be very good on a short barrel just look at pistols like the thompson encore. you will how ever loose a lot of velocity over a 16" and they lose velocity over a 24 or 26" barrel.

Other than looks im not sure what the point of having a short barrel then adding a long fiked stock. IMO the whole odea of a sbr is to have a compact easy to manuver possabley conceable firearm. adding the fixed stock would take a lot of that away. I like the looks just not sure if the practicality of it works. A folder would make more sence if I had to SBR the thing. not a slam just a observation.

bTW if it is accurate at 100yards in 223 it would be accurate at 200 also. after that the loss in velocity will start making range estimation more critical but it still will be going faster than a 7.62x39 at 200 yards. It would be pretty much the same as the short barreld m16 variants our troops use as far as speed and accuracy just slightly slower than a 14" barrel.

I had/built a AMD 65 pistol converted to 223 with a 14" barrel and it was fun to shoot. the accuracy at 100 Yards was about 1.5" off of sand bags with optics and a good trigger. The barrel was made from a used remington m700 that had some rounds down the barrel. so it might have done better with a bettter barrel. I found it wasent good for much (im a hunter) and ended up rebarreling it into a 18" 223 and added a amd folder for a sort of folding amd 63 with slightly longer barrel type deal. I then sold it minus reciver as a kit.

Feedback Score

I think the short fixed Ace stock would be great.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    The accuracy can be very good on a short barrel just look at pistols like the thompson encore. you will how ever loose a lot of velocity over a 16" and they lose velocity over a 24 or 26" barrel.

Other than looks im not sure what the point of having a short barrel then adding a long fiked stock. IMO the whole odea of a sbr is to have a compact easy to manuver possabley conceable firearm. adding the fixed stock would take a lot of that away. I like the looks just not sure if the practicality of it works. A folder would make more sence if I had to SBR the thing. not a slam just a observation.

bTW if it is accurate at 100yards in 223 it would be accurate at 200 also. after that the loss in velocity will start making range estimation more critical but it still will be going faster than a 7.62x39 at 200 yards. It would be pretty much the same as the short barreld m16 variants our troops use as far as speed and accuracy just slightly slower than a 14" barrel.

I had/built a AMD 65 pistol converted to 223 with a 14" barrel and it was fun to shoot. the accuracy at 100 Yards was about 1.5" off of sand bags with optics and a good trigger. The barrel was made from a used remington m700 that had some rounds down the barrel. so it might have done better with a bettter barrel. I found it wasent good for much (im a hunter) and ended up rebarreling it into a 18" 223 and added a amd folder for a sort of folding amd 63 with slightly longer barrel type deal. I then sold it minus reciver as a kit.
    That helps quite a bit. Thank you. I'd love to see that .223 AMD!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    I think the short fixed Ace stock would be great.

I'll check that out. I just love wood furniture so much, but that stock may look nice with some wood handguards.
    Last edited by Johnny 5.56; 01-31-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Most Draco conversions I've seen have some sort of folder on them, but that fixed stock looks pretty nice on there. Probably not real effective for OAL shortening, but there's just something about the wood look.

I'm with you on the wood Johnny. I had a hard time converting one of my 74's over to black poly furniture, just because I love the look of well polished wood. (No wisecracks, I haven't done that since I was in prison!!! JK. LOL.)
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.