Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AK .223 Receiver with Built-In AR Magwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default AK .223 Receiver with Built-In AR Magwell

Anyone know if this concept has been tried? I have a Saiga .223 with AR mag well adapter, which I like. Just curious if there were "purpose built" AK receivers with AR mag wells running about.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

not commercialy. there have been guys who have custom built them from scratch with all sorts of differant magwells for various types of mags. im working on a reciver to take G# mags as we speak.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the input. Do you bolt on the magwell or weld/braze it?

Even though I like my adapter, I would like a permanently attached magwell for a .223 build. Same for a .308 build, not necessarily a magwell, but a way to use CETME, M14, or other surplus mags.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

dont know if they still make them or not.... they were making .223 AK mags.

or do you just want the AR mag look on the AK?
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Yes you can make other .308 mags work in your .308 Saiga. Folks have done it before, but I'm not sure of anything comercially available. Csspec makes a 25 round steel mag for the Saiga .308 if I'm not mistaken though, so it kinda takes some of the need out of this platform, other than mag availability.

As far as the .223 adaptor, you could always permanently weld it in, so it runs AR mags exclusively.

Personally my problem with my Galil mag adaptor is the fact that muscle memory on the AK platform has me dropping the mag AND adaptor out as a unit by mistake. Having a hard time training my brain to hit the button to drop the mag.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

As for the availability of .223 mags, yes they are available. I have some Galil IMI steel mags and some Tapco Galil/Golani mags, and there are some EG Weiger and WASR .223 mags out there. You typically have to tweek them to make them work properly in the .223 Saiga, not sure about the WASR .223 and others. The Galil rifles out there sometimes run into problems using their own milspec Galil mags, as they have a fair amount of variability.

The reason using AR mags is attractive to me, and the reason I got a magwell adapter for my Saiga, is their universal availability and low cost (particularly in a SHTF scenario). When you get the magwell properly installed, the AR mags feed flawlessly, no tweeks necessary to the mags. You don't even need a bullet guide, although those are easy to install.

The only issue is that the magwell adapter, which it fits into the existing mag area and locks in like an AK mag, does not appear to be as durable for extreme use as I would like. This is why a permanently attached/built in magwell, with standard AR mag release or something more durable, is attractive to me.

Feedback Score

wtpflgun, the ar mag looks like the way to go. I have a bastard .223 ak that I use some rommy and promag .223 mags on. Im plaged with boldt head to mag feed lip problem. I do not have an ar mag to work with yet. if you take a look in the saiga block here there is sombody who makes an adapter, parts for or turn key. that might be what you need to play with. keep us posted muttman

Feedback Score

Poland now has a STANAG M16 magazine adapter for the Beryl rifle. They don't use the M16 magazines because the AK magazines work better but they made the adapter because they are a NATO member.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    Poland now has a STANAG M16 magazine adapter for the Beryl rifle. They don't use the M16 magazines because the AK magazines work better but they made the adapter because they are a NATO member.
    Links and or Pics PLEASE!!! I would like to see how they did it. All polish jokes aside, they are pretty inventive when it comes to this stuff....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Links and or Pics PLEASE!!! I would like to see how they did it. All polish jokes aside, they are pretty inventive when it comes to this stuff....
    I have some pics of the adapter. I'll have to locate them on my hard drive. It has a long side arm magazine release that looks like it converts the side button M16 magazine release to the AK paddle type or at least moves the press button back towards the trigger. I'll have to find the pics I have look at them closely to figure out how the magazine release works on it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.