Gunco Forums banner

Bolt carrier versitility.

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Coils 
#1 ·
Dont dock me on spelling if got something wrong. What bolt carriers will work on a pistol design assuming you change the gas piston. IE can you take a Bulgy Kit AK 74 and cut the barrel down? What length? if it can be done. the gas tube would need to be cut down? Im Sure there a legal issues. Simply put can you build a pistol style Ak on a rifle version kit and keep the cost down verses a pistol kit at 500 bones. Side note I am having success in my build and will have some pics and insight soon when I get a chance to go through them and upload. Welcome to the weekend Brad

#6 ·
IN a parts kit form is what is was looking at. Obviously you will need a bolt carrier and or piston specific to how long the barrel will be. I have to admit the 9 inch kit at AK builder looks cool. A 9 inch or 12 would be a fun project. Needless to say one project at a time. Im still working on my 74. Ill keep researching the data and hopefully get educated on which parts a compatible with each other. Not much barrel on that pistol. Will the gas system work. Brad

#7 ·
THE GAS SYSTEM WILL WORK. ID REALLY RECOMEND A LITTLE MORE BARREL IF YOU REALLY WANT TO USE THE PISTOL TO HIT ANY THING . YEA THERE COOL LOOKING WITH A 3 INCH BARREL BUT THERE A LOT LOT BETTER WITH A 8 OR 10 INCH BARREL. AND EASIER TO BUILD. IMO.

I STARTED A GUIDE ROD BUILD FOR KICKS AND WHEN PRICES GOT SO AMM HIGH ON KITS I HELD OFF AS A PISTOL WITH 300 IN PARTS THAT WASENT GOOD FOR MUCH WAS NOT WHAT I NEEDED. I DECIDED TO DO A SCRATCH BUILD 7.62X25 INSTEAD THAT WILL ONLY NEED ABOUT $50 IN PARTS AND A LOT OF LABOR. ;)

#12 ·
I agree. I have always had a interest in guns. I just did not realize that this market has been around for a while. At the same time a home build did not cross my mind until I started playing around with my AR. I dont think the prices are coming back down and as the availability falls who knows. Ill just have find the best price and go I suppose. Thanks Brad.

#14 ·
I think the AMD 65 kit would do the trick. I agree you need some barrel to at least get the bullet in right direction. I see What A Country has AMD kits for 169$ How do you feel about the price. Brad
JUST BUY THAT KIT AND ADD A 14.5" FACTORY LENGTH BARREL SELL THE STOCK AND USE THE MONEY FOR A PISTOL TRUNION. MY 14.5" BARRELD AMD PISTOL IS MY FAVORITE AK. ALSO ONE OF THE MOST ACCURATE. I HUNT DEER WITH MINE. ;)

I RELIZE YOU WANT A SHORTY BUT A LONGER BARREL IS THE WAY TO GO IMO. THE KLIT WILL WORK FOR A SHORTY S WELL .

#15 ·
Thanks for the input. I dont need a super short barrel setup. My biggest concern is having the correct part a knowledge for the build. Im not afraid of the mechanical side. I have lots of years taking things apart and putting them together. Reading and listening does not bother me either. Im late in the home build world and would like to put a few things together before the market gets out of reach. I agreed with Coils. The kit prices are high.

#16 ·
If you really don't care about the barrel length, just do what 1biggun said and use a stock length AMD65 barrel, then later if you feel like it you can shorten or buy a shorter barrel.
In other words, do it as simple as possible to start with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.