Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bolt carrier versitility.

Feedback Score

Default Bolt carrier versitility.

Dont dock me on spelling if got something wrong. What bolt carriers will work on a pistol design assuming you change the gas piston. IE can you take a Bulgy Kit AK 74 and cut the barrel down? What length? if it can be done. the gas tube would need to be cut down? Im Sure there a legal issues. Simply put can you build a pistol style Ak on a rifle version kit and keep the cost down verses a pistol kit at 500 bones. Side note I am having success in my build and will have some pics and insight soon when I get a chance to go through them and upload. Welcome to the weekend Brad

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yes you can make a pistol out of the rifle parts. but you can't use a reciever thathas already been built as a rifle. Length of bolt/gaspiston depends on barrel length.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Heres one I'm working on
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

If your going to build it from a parts kit, yes you can make it into a pistol.
    You can't buy a complete rifle and convert it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Dont ferget to get some hot gloves, you'll need them.
    Muttnan

Feedback Score

IN a parts kit form is what is was looking at. Obviously you will need a bolt carrier and or piston specific to how long the barrel will be. I have to admit the 9 inch kit at AK builder looks cool. A 9 inch or 12 would be a fun project. Needless to say one project at a time. Im still working on my 74. Ill keep researching the data and hopefully get educated on which parts a compatible with each other. Not much barrel on that pistol. Will the gas system work. Brad

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THE GAS SYSTEM WILL WORK. ID REALLY RECOMEND A LITTLE MORE BARREL IF YOU REALLY WANT TO USE THE PISTOL TO HIT ANY THING . YEA THERE COOL LOOKING WITH A 3 INCH BARREL BUT THERE A LOT LOT BETTER WITH A 8 OR 10 INCH BARREL. AND EASIER TO BUILD. IMO.

I STARTED A GUIDE ROD BUILD FOR KICKS AND WHEN PRICES GOT SO AMM HIGH ON KITS I HELD OFF AS A PISTOL WITH 300 IN PARTS THAT WASENT GOOD FOR MUCH WAS NOT WHAT I NEEDED. I DECIDED TO DO A SCRATCH BUILD 7.62X25 INSTEAD THAT WILL ONLY NEED ABOUT $50 IN PARTS AND A LOT OF LABOR.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Obviously you will need a bolt carrier and or piston specific to how long the barrel will be.
    For most builds just the piston is modded, or changed out for a shorter one.
    To me, a 7" barrel is about the shortest I'd go
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

The AMD-65 gas tubes have the flutes going farther back than standard length gas tubes. This guides a short gas piston better.

Feedback Score

I think the AMD 65 kit would do the trick. I agree you need some barrel to at least get the bullet in right direction. I see What A Country has AMD kits for 169$ How do you feel about the price. Brad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.