Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bulgarian AK 74 Build Update and Pics

Feedback Score

Default Bulgarian AK 74 Build Update and Pics

Ok its raining and I cant work so heres a update on my build. I have several pics. A couple have some simple build ideas for the budget minded and a couple of progress. I used 6 mm screws on the front trunnion. As you will see I put a nut on the screw to clean the threads after the cut. This helped hold the screw in the vise and also left the right amount of threads a little touch up was needed but all most perfect. I used a stainless hex bolt that had a dimple in it to contour the rivets in the trigger guard. Same thing for the compression tool a bolt with a dimple. Clamped in vise a piece of cake. The receiver rails where plug weld if I have my terminology correct. A hole drilled then filled with weld attaching the rail. They have been cleaned up. Barrel pressed in a head spaced. Ill drill today. Went to to local machine supply and picked up some bits. Note screws where cut with a die grinder and cut off wheel.
    Last edited by gasngo; 05-31-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Feedback Score

Follow up ? How does the wood go on the gas tube. It will be obvious once I see the sequence but I have to admit Im puzzled. Barrel is drilled and pined. Sight block drilled and pined. Just making sure everything is in line. Brad

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

the wood or plastic upper handguard should have a metal clip inside, start at the bottom of the upper handguard and slowly twist it on, some are real tight others can be loose
    I have had to place the rear sight block of the gas tube in a vise ( protected) and twist with both hands to get that sucker on

your getting there

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Thats the direction I was going. Just making sure. I wanted to get some input. Last ? Front sight reference and the end of the barrel. The fit is not so tight that I cant move it around a little. Should the end of the barrel be flush a little recessed ? Flush looks good but any input is welcome. Should have this thing up and running by the weekend. Brad
    Last edited by gasngo; 05-15-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Grammer correction

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Flush is good, makes it easier to clean the crown of the barrel after
    it gets all carboned up.
    Stock 74's are flush, at least mine are.

Nice tight pins will stop the movement of the FSB.

Good job!
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

my bulgie 74 front sight is flush with the end of the barrel,
    your question is
    could the front sight base be moved back a few millimeters, I guess as long as the muzzlebrake can fit properly I don't see why not
    put the muzllebrake on and look down the barrel make sure the front sight is not mis-aligned or the brake with impact with a projectile

maybe others can chime in

sprat

Feedback Score

Flush it will be. I was at the gun show and took a look but needless to say I am not going to break down someones gun at the table. Ill have a couple of pics with more build. A follow up on the barrel pin drill. I contacted the local machine supply as I said earlier. I used a letter I bit in machine drill size then followed through with a 7mm jobber bit. Quite a bit of leveling on the drill press as per Dark Knights video [did the best I could with what I had] it went good. Just some food for thought.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Looking good Gasngo. By the time you get to building your tenth one, you can do it in your sleep. LOL.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

I have 1 more ?. How much side to side movement should I have or want in the bolt carrier. My receiver flexed a little on the tight side from welding in the rails. The bolt forwards and backwards movement is very snug passing the ejector tang. I placed a very thin washer between the center tube which widened the rail gap slightly. Now the carrier slides back and forth smooth as can be but there is some side to side play at the top. If I had one to compare to it would be no big deal. I dont want to compress the rivet untill I have the right fit. Thanks Brad. Still looking for completion this weekend.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

ok again I will take a stab
    first gasnogo you should know I have refused to assist anyone building a ak variant in quiet sometime, for some reason I am helping you
    your pic's don't indicate the center post and rivet being installed
    so I have ask have they been ???
    there will be play in the action, one must remember and I have said this a thousand times, these rifles are battle rifles not target shooting champions their tolerances are less. yes I have a build or two with some side to side play but not alot
    does the bolt lock up tight with a dummy round, Please tell me you have dummy rounds??? with a dummy round in the mag see how it feeds when you close the bolt

you could also place the upper parts of the reciever in a vise with wood on both sides and gentily squezze the upper part in with the bolt in place and moving the bolt back and forth

sprat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.