Thread: Questions on an AK screw-build with screw on rails

Feedback Score

Default Questions on an AK screw-build with screw on rails

AK 47. Could anyone who has made a screw-build with screw on rails please till me how you got the safety lever over two rear rail screws on the right side of the receiver.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

LOL BEND IT IM GUESSING. OR REMOVE THE RAIL INSTALL THE LEVER AND THEN SCREW THE RAIL BACK IN PLACE. MOST DONT USE SCREWS TO HOLD RAILS ON. ITS IMO A COBBLED WAY TO BUILD AN THERE ARE PLEANTY OF ALTERNITIVES. KITS ARE WORTH OVER $300 THESE DAYS IF THEY GOT A BARREL SO WHY PUT A CRAP RECIVER ON A EXPENSIVE KIT???? BACK WHEN GUYS WERE TRYING TO JUST MAKE A GUN GO BANG ON A $45 KIT IT WAS DIFFERANT.

IMO REMOVE THE SCREWS AND HAVE THE RAILS AT LEAST PLUG WELDED IN. ANY ONE WITH A MIG CAN DO IT IN ABOUT 5 MINUTES.

Feedback Score

I got three AK kits on Gunbroker for under $150 each (with the barrels) early last year. I was going to screw the the rails on the first so I could remove them and trim the rails outside the receiver to fit the bolt and carrier. This would give me the profile for the other two builds. Your probably right about spot-welding the rails on after I've done this. Thanks

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

ok
    I have built several
    first you should back the screws with nuts inside the rail insides you may have to file down the top of the nut apply loctite to the threads then screw it down tight, let it dry day or so file down or dremel the screw head down as far as possible. you should not have to bend the selctor lever but if you do don't over do it

you could also place a nut on to the screw threads under the rail indside tighten down as described above but split the screw end by cuting it once you have tightened it and the loctite has dried you can split the cut wide to lock the nut into place for good

should last you 15-20 years plus maybe more, but I have not had one come seriously loose

good luck
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Thank you Sprat1, That's excellent info!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I got three AK kits on Gunbroker for under $150 each (with the barrels) early last year. I was going to screw the the rails on the first so I could remove them and trim the rails outside the receiver to fit the bolt and carrier. This would give me the profile for the other two builds. Your probably right about spot-welding the rails on after I've done this. Thanks
    YOU WONT NEED TO DO MUCH TRIMMING ASIDE FROM THE EJECTOR TIP AN THAT IS EASLY DONE WITH A DREMIL. IF YOUR GOING TO PLUG WELD OR SPOT WELD THE LAST THING YOU WANT IS HOLES IN YOUR RAILS.

IF YOUR RAILS HAVE MAG SUPPORTS IN THEM JUST INSERT A MAG INTO THE SHELL AND SEE HOW MUCH CLEARANCE THERE IS AT THE DIMPLES AND THEN COMPARE HOW MUCH OF THE RAIL NEEDS TO BE REMOVED. IMO YOUR OVER THINKING THIS WAY TO MUCH. IVE BUILT A LOT OF RECIVERS AN EVEN MY OWN BLANKS AND CUSTOM RAILS AN I HAVE NEVER NEEDED TO BOLT THEM IN TO CHECK FIT.

IF YOU GOT AK KITS A YEAR AGO WITH BARRELS FOR $150 EACH ON GB YOU DID REALLY GOOD AN EVERY ONE ELSE WAS A SLEEP. I HAVENT SEEN A COMPLETE KIT UNDER $250 IN WELL OVER TWO YEARS OR MORE AN IM ON THERE A LOT. BARRELESS KITS ARE $195 THESE DAYS.

Feedback Score

I've done very well on Gun-Broker. I got an SKS kit and only have $150 in the whole build. I got a ChiCom SKS (rifle not a kit)for $200 delivered this Christmas. Someone put a load of Egyptian kits "buy-it-how" on GB for $125, so I got three. I bought 3 yugo barrels for $20 each(not on line) and was contacted by the seller to see if I wanted 3 US barrels on the trunnions with all the barrel hardware attached,for $20 each as well. I would have bought more if he had had them. The barrels look as if they may have been confiscated. The receivers are saws-all cut, not touch-cut. This is why I want to screw-build at least the first of these. Thank you again 1Big Gun! I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by kiwi Bruce; 06-30-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ID REALL RECOMEND IF YOU GOT THT MANY TO INVEST IN A WELDER AS YOU NEED ONE ANY WAY FOR OTHER STUFF AN LEARN HOW TO AT LEAST PLUG WELD THE RAILS IN. IT REALLY MAKE BETTER HIGHER QUALITY WEAPON YOU WILL BE A LOT PROUDER OF. YOU CAN USE A CHEAP TIG DRILL A 3/16 HOLE IN THE RECIVER ONLY PUT THE WIRE IN THE MIDDLE AND SQUEASE THE TRIGGER WRORK THE WELD IN A CIRCLKE UNTILL YOU HAVE A SLIGHT MOUND AND STOP SAND SMOOTH AND IT WILL LOOK LIKE THERE ARE NO WELDS. WANT THE SPOT WELD LOOK USE A PUNCH AND PUTS SOME DENTS. PERSONALY I DONT LIKE SPOT WELDS THEY LOOK CHEAP SO UNLESS IM DOING A AUTHENTIC BUILD I PLUG WELD.

GOOD FINDS ON YOUR STUFF KEEP IT UP.

Feedback Score

Good call! My brother-in law has a welding shop, He used to teach welding. Big "Duh" It only just occurred to me when I read your post. Thanks 1biggun

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi Bruce View Post
    Someone put a load of Egyptian kits "buy-it-how" on GB for $125, so I got three....
    Heck yeah! Great buys kiwi Bruce!

Which reminded me, I have a decent Egyptian front end that was a good deal also, and was just going to mate it with a 'generic' trunnion; but maybe I can score an Arabic trunnion - build me a "Battlefield Pickup"!

bw

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.