Gunco Forums banner

AK-47 Stamped Receivers - Best Place to Buy

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking for 2 stamped receivers (Romy G and Russian/Bulgy kits), preferably with trunnion holes drilled.

Looking for advice on the best place to buy, preferably able to send to FFL for transfer rather than having a shop buy for me.

#5 ·
I used an Ewbank's receiver for my amd65 build when I first started in this hobby. I then found out about Nodak Spud. I've used them for a Romy G build, Polish Tantal build, and recently a PSL build. They are the gold standard for 100% ak receivers. I plan on using them for my m92 build coming up soon. You really can't go wrong with them IMO.

#6 ·
IM NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED TPO ALL THE $45 RECIVERS THAT WERE AROUND A YEAR AGO. SEEMS ROYAL TIGER HAD THEM BUT NOT ANY MORE. I DONT SEE ELK CREEK ANY MORE EITHER.

A BETTER QUESTION IS WHO MAKES AK RECIVERS TODAY AN WHAT IS THERE CONTACT INFO. WHO IS LEFT????????

NDS KEEPS GOING UP IN PRICE IT SEEMS. AN THERE ARE NO MORE NDS 3,S AN YES THE ARE A GREAT RECIVER BUT SOME GOOD COMPETITION WOULD BE NICE.

#9 ·
I ran across some stamped receivers on Century's site for $60, so I decided to give them a try. Was a little tentative at first, but what the hell!

Picked them up from my local FFL tthis afternoon and got to work on the first one after dinner. I had already done the prep work on the Romy kit, and it is a screw build, so there is not a lot needed.

The receivers are nicely parkerized and look great. They are single hook trigger receivers and I only had a double hook on hand, so I cut out the slot for it. The trunnion holes in front need to be drilled out slightly for two of the three, so I will get that done this evening. Went ahead and assembled it w/o the two screws and did fit check for the mag and cycled some dummy rounds. Mag fit is good and snug, with minimal "AK" play. Rounds cycle perfectly.

I should be able to get it ready to test fire on Thursday an a nearby indoor range. After that, will disassemble and prep/paint the receiver.

#11 ·
Got the Romy kit assembled, ready to test fire. Checked headspace and cycling of dummy rounds, all good.

It is one of the older Romy kits with all matching numbers plus original barrel, with nice shiny bore. The receiver came parked, and it matches the rest of the kit pretty close, so I will probably forgo painting it. I refinished the original wood because the plastic like coating was pealing off badly. Applied tung oil finish to get a little protection and close to original look on the wood.

I have a question to anyone looking in. I have a TAPCO gas piston which comes w/o the hole for the rivet. Instructions say to apply loctite and it is good to go. Should I also drill and pin it? Other compliance parts are TAPCO double hook trigger group, clone pistol grip, and clone muzzle brake.

Attachments

#12 ·
Instructions say to apply loctite and it is good to go. Should I also drill and pin it? Other compliance parts are TAPCO double hook trigger group, clone pistol grip, and clone muzzle brake.

drill it an rivet it . the piston is susposed to have a little wobble in it. I have no clue how loctight would work if you have the correct wobble in the set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.