Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Copes 59$ barrel. For AMD 65 ??

Feedback Score

Default Copes 59$ barrel. For AMD 65 ??

OK I have away way to long kits sitting on the shelf and no action on my part. I have been mesmerized by my Sterling SMG kits. Its going to take some time on those. Copes barrel? It appears to be a normal 16 inch barrel. I have printed the PDF spec sheets from the Library and made some comparisons. My thought was at that price you could cut it down to the 12.5 length verses the original at 80$ or more. I realize that just about anything can be done but it appears with a little TLC towards the end of the barrel you could make it work. Any thoughts

I do see the obvious difference in length to the gas block be the AMD has a shorter piston. The barrel has the Dia. some turning down right after the hand guard slot.
    Last edited by gasngo; 08-16-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: New info

Feedback Score

A follow up. You could it put a AK 105 style sight/block combo right after the hand guard. The barrel Dia. seems to be the correct size?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Gasngo, you can pretty much take any barrel and cut it down to what you need, but the question is will there still be enough twist with the shorter length, to stabilize the bullet for accuracy? I am ignorant on twist rates, so I'm no help there.

As far as the basic cutting though, you can cut to length, and turn the diameters down on a lathe to whatever diameter you need. I like the AK105 idea. Just need to make sure and crown the end correctly.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Along with what 2ndAmendican posted, you need to figure a way to cover/close the original gas port.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

OK I HAVE DONE A BUNCH OF THESE FOR GUYS.

I cant atttest for the quality of a copes barrel an there were some concerns about the port size being to big an im not sure we ever got to the bottom of it. there was a thread on it. Do a search if you can I cant get the search to do any thing for me. i have been wanting to do abuild using one of those barrels just to see how they are. I really wish they had left the port undrilled. there not doinng any one a favor by drilling the port. even a basic home builder has a drill an bits.

Twist rate is fine its the same as a original amd or close enough around 1-10" . The twist rate on most is AK,s is faster than nessacary anyway. likely could be 1-16 with a 125 grain bullet it can be 1-14 for sure as I have doennthem in that. in a 308 0r 30-06 a 1-10 twist will stabalize a 190 or even a 210 grain bullet. htere have been 3.5" builds with the factroy twist. infact twist rate really doesent have much to do with barrel length. If you got 5" of barrel its going to spin the bullet at the twist. losse of velocity might have some affect but at 14 inches your still going to have over 2000 fps likely around 2100 fps an you have no worries about twist.

Yes It can be cut down an a sleave can be made to cover the old port if you do it with a lip on the sleave in can replicate the tantal GB were the bipod goes an it will bnut up tot he original GB . I dont recomend welding on welding on the barrel ( an yes guys do it ) Welding in any from will induce stress an hurt accuracy ( I relize were talking ak here but a amd 65 can be very accurate mine shoots 1" )

there are several threads on using standard rommy barrels on a AMD 65.

Unless your going to build a ABR an pay the $200 for the tax stamb an wait god knows how long why are you cutting it down to 14.25" like the original any way???? If you can afford the stamp an the hassel then why screw arounf with a $59 barrel just get what you need???

better just leave it at 16" use a amd 63 tube (good luck finding one) or a Sagia take off with the guard removed or a rommy witht he hand guard retainer metal removed or simply turn the GB are down an use the AMD 65 parts as is with a sleave over the GB. the sleave will hardely be noticable if done right. guys have put screws in the hole an all kinds of other stuff.

A 16" akm barrel an a amd 65 kit plus a fixed trunion an stock an few other parts make a really nice AMD 63 clone. you can also go withthe folder an there were a few companys that sold a so called amd 63 folder. Im building one now on a mad 65 kit in 243 win using all the parts possable from the kit.

look at a polish tantal an you will see what I mean about making a sleave to look like the tantal bipod provesion or find the othr threads were ai posed pics of it done.

If your serious about doing this an need the barrel reworked or a barrel made an or a sleave PM me I can do it for a reasonable price. Others here should be able to attest to my work. You will need it rethreaded an crowned as well if yoiu shorten it . ( I may be looking for more work soon if we dont get Obama out of the white house)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WOW THE SEARCH IS WORKING AGAIN

HERE IS ALINK TO DOING WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT AN PICTURES OD A TANTAL AN A TANTAL LIKE SLEAVE I DID A FEW YEARS BACK AS WELL AS MY OWN AMD65 ETC ENJOY.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f43/amd-...-barrel-44137/

Feedback Score

Ok thanks for the input. I was not aware of the gas hole. You are correct why drill it. Every one should be able to do that. Arms of America has the 14.5 for 69 bucks so thats not that big of a deal. If I use a AK 105 Block/Sight it would be before the gas hole anyways I think. I thought about cutting the barrel right where the gas block would fit. The gas block is 15.5 MM according to one source and 15 MM another. The barrel right after the hand guard retainer is 15.5 . Ill get the picks back out and double check. Im not to concerned about period correct nor am I on SBR. If its a pistol its a pistol. It would be a couple of inchs shorter.

Will the copes barrel fit a Romy? I saw that was mentioned in a previous post I did not want to loose writing here. Thanks Brad

I should have made myself a little more clear. I was thinking making the barrel shorter than 12.5. Note the AK 105 block. As I said it appears the the barrel Dia. after the retainer is the same size and the gas block. It would not look like a exact AMD. Thats the thought of cutting up a cheap [less expensive] barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If its a pistol its a pistol. It would be a couple of inchs shorter.

OK were talking pistol build.

there a a few ways to go on the cheap. A yugo take off barrel is about $20 bore might be crap but there cheap an you can turn them to fit a lot of things.

I turned one into a 10" blater pistol barrel for a guy he says it shoots ok . The bore was rough.

The best way dont have a to do a pistol is get all your barrel parts an hand guard stuff figured out an then profile a barrrel to fit it. If you dont have a lathe it still might be easier than trying to find parts to fit an existing barrel . the bore is susposed to be
    .615" according to aa-ok websight. at clost to $90 there are a few other options that will give a simular look with a little welding but you would have to thread the barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ever seen these lot of work but you might be able to bore it to what ever barre size you want. wish there were more meat for a bigger barrel.

AK Gas Block Front Sight Combo - Not Finished #AK-P57

Feedback Score

I have seen that. Cheap compared some of the other stuff out there. You would need to do some machining. Heres what I was talking about.
    AK-105 style FRONT SIGHT- GAS BLOCK BASE | AA-OK I found one at Desert Fox for 54$. Bare but I can get around that. Sure I could do the 69$ barrel at Arms Of A. 14.5 inch and keep it simple and wait for the actual 12.5 to resurface {AK Builder} Just thinking outside the box and barrel price.
    This would go on right after the hand guard retainer. I have read the barrel layout and compared the standard 16 to the AMD they are all most identical to that point. From there the spacing for gas tube etc. is much different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.