Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to Place Cleaning Rod Support Ring on Romy RPK

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Where to Place Cleaning Rod Support Ring on Romy RPK

I've started work on an Apex Romy RPK kit and barrel. I've got the barrel pinned to the trunnion. When I look at the parts there is a ring that looks like a cleaning rod guide. It seems to be ready to press and pin to the barrel. From the size it seems like it would go between the GB and FSB. Is there a standard place for it? I'd be inclined to put it midway between the two. Is there a standard place?

The barrel from Apex looks good. The barrel is oversize where all the pieces go but barely so it will be easy to get a good fit - no knurling.

I do have one bitch. I was pleased to see a US marking on it. Unfortunately, it will be covered by the RSB. Oh well.

Steve
    Last edited by CrufflerSteve; 08-18-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: can't spell

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I just got my Apex kit yesterday Steve, and was somewhat wondering the same thing. I printed up several pics off the net, to use as a guide. I don't have them in front of me at the moment, but it basically looks like midway between the gas block and front sight block, as you stated. If I can't get an exact measurement, I plan to literally split the difference, and put it exactly midway.

Have you come across anything different for an RPK build, as compared to standard AKM's, that someone should watch out for? I don't see anything that stands out, but as I said, I just got my kit yesterday. I've built well over 30 kits, so I'm not exactly new to this, but just figured I'd ask.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

No gotcha's yet. The barrel is a good match and will require mild fitting for a few pieces but no lathe required. It was easy to get the barrel in the trunnion. Wish they hadn't removed the barrel parts completely. The pieces make a good reference.

I looked at some pictures but they weren't good enough to show where the ring went.

Steve

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

They go together like an AK

That ring can go half way between the GB & bipod, but I looked around it this video sows it best (about 10 seconds is a good view), it looks like it's a little closer to the GB then half way.

Also did you guys get lucky enough to get the windage adjustable rear sight?
    Fixed length or adjustable bipod?
    My kit came with a standard rear sight and fixed bipod
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

My original barrel RPK has the forward edge of that ring 5mm past the step in the barrel between the GB and bipod.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Here's a crappy pic that might help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yeah that is a crappy pic But you explained it well and thank you for checking
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Yeah after I got home and looked at the barrel, it's really self explanatory. Theres a small journal specifically for it. It'll only go one place.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You're right in that was easy once I measured. There was one journal for it. The barrel was the nicest I've ever fit. Every journal was a teeny bit over optimum. I'm talking like a 1000th. It took a few minutes and was ready to press each piece and it fit nice and tight but not overdone.

I have the windage adjustable sights and regular bipod. It won't be my favorite AK but everybody should have an RPK. I was wrong about the stamp on the barrel it shows fine. With a Tapco FCG, NDS receiver, the barrel and a gas piston I could leave the exterior parts original. I'll eventually refinish the wood and parkerize the metal but it is okay for now.

Put a few mags through and it worked perfect.

Steve
    Last edited by CrufflerSteve; 08-21-2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Use better images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ignore this. I got a server error and double post.

Steve
    Last edited by CrufflerSteve; 08-21-2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: duplicate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.