Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: It's Back! I have a build question

Feedback Score

Thanks, fellas! I built one of these once but never had these kinds of issues-it was easy compared to this. And yeah, seems you all are singing outta the same hymnal. I have a blank/rails from AK builder and a .302 pin on the way!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

but with what that barrel pin has probably done to gall up the slot
    Good point, after getting the pin out check the condition of the hole, but if the pin galled anything you'll most likely scratch something whether you just turn it or remove it. So make sure you look it over well.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

I have a question, because something isn't adding up for me.

If the pin galled the barrel and turned it in the slot, wouldn't that throw the path of the pin off, directing it up and away from the hole on the other side?

If so, how does there appear to be a pin in the other side?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The pin didn't turn the barrel, it wasn't straight to start with and the pin was driven in, I bet there was a lot of resistance too but the person just kept forcing it instead of checking what was going on.

There's enough meat on the trunnion to keep the pin from angling up, well at least not enough like your thinking. Even if it did angle off and there's enough force, it will still go in, it will just start shaving metal off or deforming it
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What coils said^. I did this very thing once.The pin would not budge after install. I learned a valuable lesson and it cost me no money but alot of work. After I finally got the pin drilled out I couldnt turn the bbl, altho u might be able to. I had to pull the bbl, polish and re install. The hole was egged out but re drilling and a .302 pin solved it. Let us know how it turns out.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the barrel an trunion are not original to each other it is very likely the oin never lined up right int he first place an its also very likely the head spacewas not ever checked.

the guy likely pressed the barrelin an tried to force home a missalinged pin.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

So how go's it? Any progress?
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

Thanks for asking!!

Drill job is done on the 80% blank. Here are a couple pics-I just put a couple of screws in it to mock it up. The crap on the receiver is leftover paper from the template and adhesive that I hadn't cleaned off yet.

I need to egg a couple of trunnion holes that didn't transfer perfectly, and needs some real minor fitting in the mag well, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

Planning to weld rails this week (Nicoroshi-style) and heat treat this weekend. Seems like I only get 15-20 minutes to work on it at a time right now. My kids have run off w/ my US pistol grip and hidden it somewhere. The one in the pic isn't going to be used-I'm considering making my own out of some chinese plywood I have-the laminate matches up perfectly with the stock.

I still need to get the front end squared away-1biggun, I haven't forgotten--will do per your last PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I still need to get the front end squared away-1biggun, I haven't forgotten--will do per your last PM.

OK sounds good.

the reciver looks good so far.

Feedback Score

Default Egyptian AKM save: Update

Been awhile since I posted, but wanted to show a little progress on this Egyptian AKM save.

I sent the front end to 1biggun to pull the pin, inspect, headspace and put in a new pin.

He also trued the bolt, and straightened out the barrel cant.

I got the front end and bolt back the other day, and it looks great! Nice work from him-good stuff at a good price. Kudos and thank you! So, for the first time, I've managed to get everything together for a pic or two. I have trimmed the mag well and mag release button for fit, and had to trim the square hole on the back of the dust cover a little to make the dust cover install correctly. Work remaining:

Rails
    heat treat holes and extractor (will post on this later)
    egg two more holes
    fix muzzle device detent-apparently the detent was put in without the spring.
    Finish. Parts have black BBQ paint all over them that comes off like nobody's business. I'm going to strip and see what's under it, then decide what to do. Maybe just cold blue it-I'm pretty good w/ a bottle of OxphoBlue.
    SHOOT!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.