Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Starting a guide rod build.....

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Found a piece of 1/2" iron pipe. ID was a bit tight, so i used a dremel and some crafty drill bit work to open it up. stepped the end at the gas block, measured, filed and welded it to the piece of RSB i used. Im hoping this will help minimize gas leakage when firing. also thinking of making some kind of 'telescoping/sectional' guide rod, so that i can close up the hole in the gas block by plugging it with a section of rod, that will stick out far enough for a shorter piece t meet up with it from the dust over retaining button. that way no gas is lossed out the GB. Still a work in progress, ideas coming and going... Fun to tinker tho!

Put the barrel section on after cleaning up the welds (sort of)

Mocked up, no lower rails, no rear trunnion, no FCG holes yet.

Enough for today, took the kids to the beach, worn out. Time for a beer and some Shade

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hmmmmmmm I sure would not have put that amount of hear on the trunion. that barrel pin holds as much thrust as the lugs an there is likely no way the teamper is not changed significantly. others will disagree but i simply will not weld on a truion.

I hate to say it but I honestly would be concerned with the safety of it.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Looking good Posthumous!!!! Keep the pics/reports coming.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFetus View Post
    goodluck, my guide rod was a fucking failure, not to be a negative Nancy, but the function of it was too crappy for my tast, regardless of how tight the rod fits.
    i feel like gas just escapes everywhere.

BF,

dont want to sidetrack his build thread but what made you think gas escaped everywhere was wrong?

its supposed to escape everywhere the second that the action is initiated.. these are impulse driven system....

so as long as the gas isnt going out the guide rod hole in the front then its escaping exactly as it should.

depending on your length that should be at teh front site base, or thru the FSB or thru the edge of the gas block.

the only thing you DONT want is all the gas escaping back into the top cover area as lots of people make this mistake and it leads to crap in yoru face and top cover in your face.

another question in this thread was on gas port size:

on my super shorty AK's 47's my gas port is .1875 this is a major size port and you only need it for the 3" and smaller barrel as gas port is 2mm from the end of the barrel so it HAS to be bigger at this length.

on the 1" & 3" ak74's? my gas port is .1406 & .1250 respectively to length.

these function flawlessly when you have it all in line and a smooth flow with no rough edges.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

another question in this thread was on gas port size:

on my super shorty AK's 47's my gas port is .1875 this is a major size port and you only need it for the 3" and smaller barrel as gas port is 2mm from the end of the barrel so it HAS to be bigger at this length.

on the 1" & 3" ak74's? my gas port is .1406 & .1250 respectively to length.

these function flawlessly when you have it all in line and a smooth flow with no rough edges.
    good to know on the port sizes. an that is a huge port .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

lmao........ you must mean on the 47 version... hee hee it is a huge port... BUT as i said its ONLY 2MM from the end of the barrel.. so it has to be that big to get anything up thru it as we are talking micro seconds of gas being there.

if you have a longer barrel then you can go back to the standard size as it gets some back pressure. :-)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I drilled a standard size hole in mine. Bit goes through the gasblock and out the end of the barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

A 90 DEGREE BLOCK WILL ALLOW THE PORT TO BE FURTHER BACK FROM THE MUZZEL.

I GUESS WITH SOIMEHTING LIKE THIS IT REALLY DOSENT MATTER AS LONG AS IT CYCLES AN THERE IS NOT LEAD COMING OUT THE PORT. LOL

NOT SURE IF MOVING THE PORT BACK A 1/2" WILL ALLOW A SMALLER PORT. IMO THE LESS GAS COMING BACK AT YOU THE BETTER.

IM LOOIKING AT MY PILE AN TRYING DECIDE IF I REALLY WANT ONE OF THESE. WITH PARTS WHAT THEY ARE THESE DAYS IS NOT SUPER CHEAP ANY MORE. I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT MORE OF THOSE RUSTY KITS BACK IN THE DAY FOR $45. IM THINKING IF IO DO ONE IT WILL BE A 223 OR SOMETHING MADE FROM 223 BRASS. THAT WAY I CAN USE MY MANY FIRED VARMINT CASES UP IN IT AN NOT WORRY ABOUT SAVING THEM.

HAS ANY ONE TRIED A FASTER POWDER IN ONE OF THESE REALLY SHORT BUILDS???
    i RELIZE MOST DONT RELOAD FOR THESE. SEEMS LIKE A FAST PISTOL POWDER MIGHT WORK BETTER WITH A 3" BARREL.

THE 7.62X39 USES A PRETTY FASST POWDER ALREADY. IM WONDERING HOW MUCH PRESSURE A 3" BARREL IS MAKING?? ID THINK GOING BLUE DOT OR SOME OF THE OTHER SLIGHTY FASTER POWDERS MIGHT WORK. THERE ARE 357 LOADS THAT USE 4227 THE SAME POWDER AS THE X39.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

1bg: im not a reload guy... but what ive found out is that the x39 3" barrel set up doesnt leave near as much unburned powder as the 5.45 does.. you'll find unburned/ignited powder in the flashhider area and all over the place in the 5.45 builds.

and if you look at my video you'll see that there is lots of it flying past your head and everywhere else.

something you mentioned that i didnt touch on... i make very sure that there are no burs or edges on my gas port hole and also use a very small ball end bit on my rotozip to kamfer that edge a little. :-)

while i wouldnt hesitate to shoot an intruder with one of these, they really serve no purpose other than to say you can and for the ooooohs & ahhhhs that people give when you roll one of these out with a drum on it.

sdk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    while i wouldnt hesitate to shoot an intruder with one of these, they really serve no purpose other than to say you can and for the ooooohs & ahhhhs that people give when you roll one of these out with a drum on it.

Shoot, im just making one in the hopes that one day i can do the "sliding sideways on a motorcycle pulling the super short AK from a keg holster and spraying zombies and anything else in the way before lobbing a molotov at them and speeding off again" thing.

I need to rework the piston on mine. thinking about basically extending the carrier a bit in that area and blocking it off with a piece of round stock, (drilled for guide rod) and going that route, vice using an actual piston.

Like 1bg said tho, im just using 'scrap' pieces from around to finish this. Its a hobby build of convenience, not something im investing a ton of money on!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.