Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting a guide rod build.....

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Postak Starting a guide rod build.....

Okay so i finally cleaned out some more junk bins. found a 7 inch romy chrome bbl i had from a disastrous learning experience from years ago. figured id try my hand at being a human lathe and turning it down to fit a Bulgarian gas block.

......aaaaaand i did it.

Put it in an AMD trunnion and headspace..

GO!

No-Go..

and im using a polish 80% blank.

and that is as far as i have gotten today. I have been reading and reading and reading on guide rod builds, and still have some questions...

1. Do i need to drill through the gas block? or just drill an indent so to speak for the guide rod to rest in?

If anyone could post some pictures of the internals of their own, and how the rod attaches, where the spring goes, etc, i would REALLY appreciate it!!!!

More to follow. going to get a pistol trunnion from AK-builder for the back part. still throwing some ideas around. Thanks all!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I drilled clear thru mine just keep the hole tight so the rod barely fits. my guiderod replaced the rods on the spring assembly, I drilled thru it then welded it in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Thanks man. How about the gasblock end?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

How about the gasblock end?
    All the ones I've seen had a hole in the GB for the rod to rest in
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It passes thru everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

all my guide rod builds are posted here at GUNCO....

i do drill thru the gas block housing.. & i leave that hole as tight as possible so that you dont loose gas out the front.

i keep the rod as short as i can so that my forward travel to release it usually stops at the end of the front site.

the most important thing here is being on center in drilling the piston, the gas block and then installing the rod to the rear nub.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

does it even need a guide rod???? looks like it might be long enough for just a slight trim of the csrrier an a piston weLded to the carrier. you said the barrel was 7" is it now???

Ditigaf is the guy in these he can likely tell you what will an will not work.

SO HOW SHORT CAN A BARREL BE AN STILL RUN A PISTON AN NO GUIDE ROD??

WHAT ABOUT A ROD WITH A THIN BUSHUN ON IT THAT GOES INTO THE gb BUT DISENT NEED TO GO THROUGH???? JUST GET IT BEHIND THE PORT ???? NOT SURE IF IT WOULD BE ANY BETTER BUT YOU WOULD NOT NEED TO DRILL A gb THAT WAY.

TO DRILL THE GB CENTERED MAKE A BUSHING WITH A HOLE TO CENTER THE BIT.

IM GOING TO BUILD ONE OF THESE SOME DAY. LIKELY A 7.62X25 OR 9MM I ALWAYS LOOK CLOSE AT THESE BUILDS.

I HAVE A FEW PARTS LAYING HERE MY SELF FOR SUCH A DEAL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The position of the gasblock would dictate weather a guiderod was needed. the mini draco has aprox 7" barrel but they use a large buffer block to stop the carrier and in turn keeping the piston in the rsb.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

cut down to 5" now. Im experimenting with alternatives to a guide rod or having to drill through things.

the rod is there to keep the carrier on track as it travels rearward after the shot, and back into place on the way forward. There is no RSB on this, so im thinking out loud here....but what about making a 'guide groove' so to speak, cut or grind a slot for the needed length on the top of the carrier, and using say... a piece of cast iron gas pipe, halved and welded to the top of the trunnion, weld something to that, that would rest in the groove/slot on the carrier, but fit under the dust cover? it would keep the carrier and piston in line during travel.

have to go play in the garage more this weekend, see what i can come up with.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have had a few ideas in the past but all of them were likely harder than a gude rod/ the hole drilling should be pretty simple just drill out the piston for the carrier before hand. make a drill pit guide for the RSB an use the rod to dictate were the hole inthe recoil assembly anchor would need to go. I think all that other stuff would not bea s good as a simple rod an three holes drilled.

just a custom dust cover keeping every thin in place with close tollerances would likey work. Or a sloted cover an a tab weded to the carrer would possably work. you would have to make some mods to the cover . maybe make it hinge an be attached more securaly in the rear. I envisioned milled cover that attached on a hinge on an extended barrel pin an m70 type locking system in the rear. a slot miled intot he cover as well as the rail attached to he cover. a tap or gude welded tot he top of the csarrer to goi inot the cover/ rail. I dont see how the thing could move. just thinking out loud here. A guide rod is simple an works .

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.