Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ok...i need some advice

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Even if knurling allows gas to escape, carried with the gas is powder residue. Just start out shooting non-corrosive ammo, this residue will hard-fill any voids caused by knurling and seal up any leak. After that, shoot any ammo you want.
    Possbaly true. id consider some JB weld or some sort of flange sealent i addition . IM not a jb weld kind of guy but it could not hurt. there ar lots of better plastic steel type products out here

my 223 vsrmint build has a custom clamp on block an must distort when its tightned up. I have a slight barrel to block leak but it hasent sealed up in 5000 rounds an may be getting worse. the port sees over 50,000 PSI so if its noit perfect it will leak at least initaly .

I have peaned one in the past. the inside of the bottom of the GB is were I applied my diviots It did work fine. the fit dosent have to be that tight any way. not like a trunion to barrel. it just need to be tight enough to seal. i have a few builds that the block almost slid on by hand were I jsut pinned ot an never had a issue. Likely if I had frose th barrel an warmed the GB it would have slid on by hand.
    If there was a way to drill the slots in the barrel slightly under size so the pins were really putting a side load on the GB it might work also. I dont know how you would drill the slots under sise a little but im sure there is a way. just thinking out loud.

wonder if there is a wy to shrink the block???? im sure it couls be hard chromed or some thing expensive to add a few thou. hell likely just some duracote oor other high temp epoxy might even work . maybe not. I wonder if the gb could be heated an some how shrunk during a temperin process or of it could be evenly squezed down to size an rebored . agin just thinking out loud.

you could always knurl it an then smooth away most of it but the bottom.

hell Id just peen it an see how it fits you can always knurl it if it dont. sorry im rambeling to much coffee .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hell by the sound it won't need to be knurled to much/or deeply so I doubt gas loss will be any issue,you only need a fraction anyways youre only going to need to expand it .001 or so anyways. For a 100% positive seal/ ruggedness silver solder,,, sure,,,, it wouldn't hurt and would leave no doubt , but honestly don't think it's nessarry if it's that close.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hell by the sound it won't need to be knurled to much/or deeply so I doubt gas loss will be any issue,you only need a fraction anyways youre only going to need to expand it .001 or so anyways. For a 100% positive seal/ ruggedness silver solder,,, sure,,,, it wouldn't hurt and would leave no doubt , but honestly don't think it's nessarry if it's that close.
    I have no doubt silver solder would work. Id not hesitate to go that way . you likely could just add some the the insde of the gb an then hone it to sise an press it on an not even heat heat th barrel. lots of guns have parts solderd to barrel. the pins will hold the part from moving there is no way it would fail. If i was desperat id brase up the inside an then bore or hone it ti fit. ihave done that on parts that went onto shafts before in agg equipment . Are front sight basses on bolt actions soldered on in some models ????

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hell Ya barrels have had shit soldered to them for a hundred years or more,,,, no prob!!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The Finns used soft solder to fix the rear sight onto the M28/30 and M39 models. Most of those rifles were used hard, very hard in the Winter and Continuation wars and I've never heard of those models with a rear sight coming loose or coming off in use.

With that, I'd be comfortable with a sweated soft solder joint and avoid the 1200f degree heat needed (dull red hot) for silver solder.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I used some 5% silver solder on the rear sight island on my .458 win mag mauser and its still holding strong. Being only 5% it doesnt take as much heat to get it to flow. Some of the high silver bearing solders need to get scary-hot, especially when gun bbl's are concerned.Knurling would be good but I dont have a lathe and center punches are relitavely cheap, and many here know I'm a cheap basterd.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

5%-10% silver is what I've always used for year-ons, no prob. Heats no problem eaither with it,and once it flows and sets, a quick quench with oil,,,, done.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

With that, I'd be comfortable with a sweated soft solder joint and avoid the 1200f degree heat needed (dull red hot) for silver solder.

as others said there is some alternitaves that dont require the heat. an 1000% on not wanting to get the barrel that hot. regular solder would likely work just fine. Im not sure how hot a ak barrel will get bit ive heard of them starting to glow an catching hand guards on fire etc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Knurling is aold gunsmithing technique quite effective, but i think big gun is right, you will need a seal and silver solder as suggested by coils is right on silver solder is used extensively on firearms barrels because the heat is not enough to affect the temper surface.
    jb would also work and work effectively
    neither with except bluing or parkerizing but both take paint pretty good
    sleeving would also work but from what you describe the tolerance to to tight

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    as others said there is some alternitaves that dont require the heat. an 1000% on not wanting to get the barrel that hot. regular solder would likely work just fine. Im not sure how hot a ak barrel will get bit ive heard of them starting to glow an catching hand guards on fire etc.
    If that's happening, the firearm is either being abused or you're in the middle of a situation where you simply wouldn't care about a gas block leaking!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.