Thread: Need Help - Advice

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Question Need Help - Advice

I was using AK-Builder barrel pin removal tool to push barrel pin out of a MAK-90 and the pin came out but the AK-Builder barrel pin push rod is now solidly stuck in place. Anyone have tricks/tips/tools to free up the pin from the trunnion?(I now know that a Chinese barrel pin is 6.5mm and an AK-Builder (i.e. European Barrel pin is 7.0 mm) Nonetheless I need ideas as to how to extract/drill/press this pin out. I had a gentleman try to mill it out and he said he was not able to do so. Apparently the AK-Builder Barrel pin punch (which is lodged in the barrel pin slot) is hardened to the point of problem.
    Anyone have any ideas? Also, who amongst you, should the pin be inextricable, be skilled enough with a mill or whatever machinery is necessary to cut the trunnion to pieces allowing for the barrel and it's components to be salvaged!?

Feedback Score

I've used dry ice to remove jammed taper pins before but there was a healthy stub to get contact with the dry ice. If somebody already milled it flush an option would be to find somebody locally with an EDM machine. A good operator should be able to " burn " out the stub without disturbing the surrounding material.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default 1st..

I had a similar situation.. Something stuck in there..
    Not really mechanically inclined now..
    But I tried every damn thing to get it out..
    Finally "concrete drill bit" slow lubed with a drill press..
    Ate the blockage up real good..
    I was a day away from packing the hole with black powder and setting her off.
    Try it..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    I had a similar situation.. Something stuck in there..
    Not really mechanically inclined now..
    But I tried every damn thing to get it out..
    Finally "concrete drill bit" slow lubed with a drill press..
    Ate the blockage up real good..
    I was a day away from packing the hole with black powder and setting her off.
    Try it..

4thIDVet- lmao - I was thinking about the black powder solution yesterday to be honest. Never thought of the concrete drill bit. I will try it sounds plausible. Thank you very much!

JeffD - Interesting idea. Actually I do have a stump the size of a new pencil eraser sticking out of the side of the trunnion. Dry Ice might also help. Thank you very much.

I will try both, great ideas.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Carbide bits. Start small, center drill, and keep stepping it up. Once the pressure is off the sides, punch the remains out with a standard 1/4" punch.Done it on several barrel pins, and I don't see where the barrel pin removal tool would be any different. Use some good cutting oil while you're drilling, and go slow, but with constant pressure.

One other method was to put the whole front sestion with reciever stub into the freezer for an hour or two. Then pull it out and hit the trunnion with a heat gun around but not onto the barrel pin removal pin. Try to get the material around the pin to expand while the pin itself is still shrunken due to the freezing.

Good luck whatever method you use.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

^^^ carbide bits or end mills for sure..

if you just make a pilot hole thru the center of it, that will let the pressure off and then you can drive it out. we've had to do this several times.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.