Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: AK's 16 countable parts

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

This is a good thread.

The asterisk by mag body can be taken off as this part is now offered by Tapco as made in the USA.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Here is another "what if" question.

Some people on this forum have mentioned welding the front trunnion into the receiver rather than riveting or using screws. With an imported trunnion being welded into a US receiver, would that then be considered one part like a milled receiver, since for all intents and purposes it becomes one continuous piece of metal? And would it be considered domestic or imported, since it contains elements of each? I would lean toward domestic since the final operation that produced it was performed in the US, but who knows where the ATF is concerned.

Feedback Score

Good Point PACKRAT..............I have read of the same thing being done to US gas pistons to the carrirer to makeit one US part...........

Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by WFO2
    Good Point PACKRAT..............I have read of the same thing being done to US gas pistons to the carrirer to makeit one US part...........
    IMO: I don't think welding an imported part to a US part converts the combo to US made, according to the BATFE. It's still separate parts, only the means of joining them has changed in the BATFE's eyes.
    If it *did* I think you'd see a lot more receivers welded to trunnions, since that would reduce the imported parts count by two.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

But after welding they are not seperate parts. They are one continuous piece of metal.

Feedback Score

As an example: imported barrel with an Uncle Mike's US-made sling swivel stud welded to the barrel. We have an imported part welded to a US part. Is the BATFE going to say the barrel is now a US part? How do they judge when welded-together parts cross the line from imported to domestic? My opinion is they'll handle it by saying it doesn't cross the line, it's still separate parts that are held together by welding. But, my opinion in this isn't worth beans as far as keeping you out of trouble with the Feds. The BATFE opinion is the only one that matters. CYA and check with the technical branch folks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

No matter how much you mod a forgien part it does not become American made.
    "It's all over but the cryin'!"Moonshiner

Feedback Score

What about pinning my slant break on my barrel, still cout as an extra part? Right now I've taken them off (bare threads), but the bayonet won't fit right with nothing on there and won't fit at all with the "A2 hider" on there.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

The slant brake is a countable part.

Feedback Score

Okay I am new (first post) and man am I dumb when it comes to AKs. I am pretty much a bolt action military rifle type of guy so about the only thing I know about AKs is they go bang. I've ordered a PMKMS kit over at Weaponeer's and I have pretty much decided on a GlobalTrades receiver. Ferget the home bending as I couldn't properly bend a paper clip. So what other U.S. parts do I need for this kit to make it 922r compliant? I've been trying to read as much as possible on this subject and just want to do it right and not end up a member of Uncle Sam's horizontal pinstripe suit club. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Jack
    I humbly salute and honor those that have been KIA, those that are MIA and yet to be returned to our Homeland... Let them never be forgotten.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.