Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: install lower rails on ak47

Feedback Score

Default install lower rails on ak47

first would like to that this sight and members. I got a polish under fold as a project to do this winter and 2 weeks latter only have rails heat treat and paint left to do (it is going really fast) .

I was looking to see how best to install lower rails on ak 47. I thought of screwing on to make it easy to install but can not find right kind of bolts or directions on how to do it. I have a mig welder w/o shield gas (and have had some success using it but by no means a professional welder) was going to drill holes and plug weld.

really could take suggestion, advice, on this

skill level : professional handyman (that actually is my job)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Plug weld them

Feedback Score

so on the plug welds what size hole and how many and do I put cross member in first or drill it after.

also how much heat and what speed?

thanks

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I'd recommend a 3/16" hole. Heat and speed are dependent on the welder the wire ETC. If You're not sure of yourself take it somewhere and have it done while you stand there it should be pretty cheap.. You put in the center support after the rails are installed.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

spot weld if you can access a spot welder or at least plug weld them...I'd stay away from screws.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Way back in time, before I had a spot welder, I did a build with bolted on rails (see post #5 in this thread http://www.gunco.net/forums/f163/ak-...tutorial-6806/ ) it can be done, but is not the best alternative. I in fact ended up redoing this build after I got my spotwelder.
    Since you have a mig welder available, plug (aka rosette) welding is definitely the way to go.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

4 or 5 welds per side. start in the center an weld in a circle untill you have a slight mound . sand smooth before intalling the cneter support so you can lay your sanding disk/flap dish on a 4.5" grinder flat an not leave marks on the reciver.

it would be better if you had gas. id recomend practicing to see if you get pin holes or not with flux core.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Don't flux it! Believe me that is a real mess if you try. Just don't go there. Spot weld or nothing. If you have a TIG I think you can do that as it will produce less heat, but the spot welder w/ special tip is more often done.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Whoops, I missed the whole no gas part.
    I have only done them using an argon/co2 mix. If all you have is flux core, then I would listen to the guys, since I have no experience with flux core.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I'm not knew to spotwelding rails but I'm new to the MIG/gas and flux cored wire welding.

I can tell you don't try to flux weld them. Spot welding would be best but if your machine can use gas, plug welding will work well. Plus it's a good excuse to buy the gas.

I've discovered flux cored wire is not even good for tie wire, much less welding something up that needs to look good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.