Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Building Bulgarian Milled kit on stamped

Feedback Score

That looks Great!! I hope mine comes out as well. Thanks for posting the pics,,,Doc

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

In theory this would require setting the barrel further back in the trunnion which in turn may impact the bolt camming off the AK74 bullet guide
    AS FAR AS I CAN TELL THE LUGS ARE IN THE SAME PLACE AS A AKM TRUNION ( I HAVE MEASRED THEM FROM THE FACE OF THE TRUNION . SO IF YOU USING A AKM BOLT AN BARREL THERE IS NOT NEED TO CHANGE BARREL POSITION .

NOW IF FOR SOME REASON YOU WERE TO USE A AK 74 BOLT AN OPEND THE FACE UP TO FOR A X39 ROUND THEN A NORMAL 7.62X39 BNARREL WOULD HAVE TO BE MOVED FORWARD AN THE THE GAS TUBE WOULD BE TO SHORT THE RSB WOULD BE TWO FAR FORWARD THE GAS PSITON WOULD BE TO SHORT , THE DUST COVER WOULD NOT REACH ETC,

SO BASICALY THE TRUNIONS LUG PLACEMTN IS THE SAME AN THE BEGINING OF THE BULLET GUIDE RASMP TO START THE BOLT TO TURN IS ALSO IN THE SAME SPOT.

THE ANGLE OF THE RAMP MIGHT BE DIFFERANT I CANT TELL BUT IT DOSENT MATTER. THE CARRIER SLOTS ARE WHAT ACTALLY ROTATE THE BOLT IN THE FINAL WAY AN LOCK IT INTO THE LUGS.

THE PLACEMNT OF THE LUG IN THE TRUNION WERE THE MAG HANGS ON IS ABOUT THE SAME JUDGING FORM A 74 TRUNION AN A 47 TRUNION WITH A ROD THROUGH THE RIVET HOLES TO ALLOW ME TO JUDGE WERE THEY WOULD BE IN THE RECIVER ,

THERE IS THE NOTED DIFFERANCES IN THE WIDTHS OF THE TRUNION WERE THE MAG FITS AN THEY WILL NEED TO BE MILLED OR GROUND TO MATCH A 47 TRUNIION.

THE ONE THING MANY PEOLE HAVE NOT NOTICED IS THE AREA WERE THE BULLET PASSES THROUGH BETWEEN THE THE LUGS IS DIFFERASNT . THE 74 TRUNION IS A LITTLE WIDER BETWEEN THE LUGS THAN A 47 . IM COMPARING A AMD A YUGO 47 TRUNION AN A BULGY 74 TRUNION . THE DIFFERANCE IS SLIGHT BUT ITS WORTH MENTIONING. THE BOLTS LUG WIDTH IS CLOSE ENOUGH TO CALL THEM THE SAME.

THERE IS OF COUSE THE DIFFERANT BARREL SHANK SIZES 47 IS 23 AN 74 IS 22 MMM

SO BASICALY IT WHEN YOU USE A 74 BOLT ON A NONE 5.45 BARREL YOU WOULD HAVE ISSUES . SINCE THE BOLT FACE IS TO SMALL FOR A 7.62X39 CASE ITS NOT A REAL CONCERN TO MOST .

WERE THINGS COULD BE OF CONCERN IS WERE A GUY WOULD TRY TO USE A 223 BARREL DESIGEND FOR A STANDARD LENGTH BOLT HEAD ON A 5.45 BOLT. THAT WOUKD REQURE THE BARREL TO BE SET FORWARD.

I ACTUALY LIKE THE IDEA OF A LITTLE MORE ROOM FROM THE EDGE OF THE BULLET GUIDE TO A THE BREACH FACE ON A 223 AS IT ALLOWS THE BULLET TIP TO CLIMB HIGHER WHEN FEED IN TO MAKE SURE IT GETS INTOT HE CHAMBER.

IN MY EXPERIANCE 223,S ON A BULGY BOLT IN A ROMMY TRUNION CAN BE HARD TO FEED AS THEY HIT THE BREACH FACE. MY VARMINT RIFLE DOES NOT LIKE HOLLOW POINTS MUCH AN IT WAS A BIT OF A CHALLANGE TO GET TI TO FEED RIGHT EVEN WITH A BULGY 223 GUIDE.

MY WEIGER CLONE THAT IS BASICAY A ROMMY SAR 223 BOLT AN TRUNION THAT USES A BUKLLET GUDE VERY SIMUAR TO A 5.45 AN A BOLT THAT HAS A SMALL STEM AN 74 STYLE EXTRACTER FEEDS MUCH BETTER . I NEED TO CHECK THE BOLT HEAD LENGTH AN SEE IF ITS THE SAME AS 47 OR 74. WHEN I MADE HEBARREL I JUST PRESSED IT IN UNTILL THE HEAD SPACE WAS COORECT AN PINNED IT AN POPULATED THE BARREL AS NEED TO FIT THE GAS TUBE AN HAND GUARD ANTHEN DRILLED THE PORT AS NEEDED I WAS NOT MARRIED TO A READY MADE BARREL.

Feedback Score

Maybe we are saying the same thing but I cannot follow your post.

The AKM 7.62 bolt has shorter lugs (not the trunnion) than the AK74 bolt. This entails moving the barrel further back into the trunnion by 3mm to attain headspace. IIRC.

This in turn can affect the component stacking if the gas port is pre drilled as it will "push" the relative spacing of the gas tube to the rear as well as the rear sight block and then the receiver cover mating to the RSB and RSB to trunnion.
    Also it impacts the location of the left side cam on the bullet guide as the barrel is now further to the rear and I do not know the cam setback vs an AKM.

The other concern was the use of the bullet guide to actually assist the feed. This sounds like a non issue.

The mag lock up I think I can manage by milling the lower trunnion magazine lug mating area with no problem.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yep, just mill, or grind out the magwell area to accept the wider 7.62 mags.
    I would suggest riveting this area after the milling, otherwise you end up removing
    too much squashed rivet butt right on that bottom rivet hole.

I actually had a virgin barrel, as I remember. So, there is no critical placements to
    be met as would be with a used barrel.
    I did drill the gas port after all the furnishings were set in place, etc.
    So, this is fairly critical, since the barrel chamber will be set back further
    for the shorter bolt lugs.

Nice job on your rifle blue, I like it.
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rahatlakhoom View Post
    Yep, just mill, or grind out the magwell area to accept the wider 7.62 mags.
    I would suggest riveting this area after the milling, otherwise you end up removing
    too much squashed rivet butt right on that bottom rivet hole.

I actually had a virgin barrel, as I remember. So, there is no critical placements to
    be met as would be with a used barrel.
    I did drill the gas port after all the furnishings were set in place, etc.
    So, this is fairly critical, since the barrel chamber will be set back further
    for the shorter bolt lugs.

Nice job on your rifle blue, I like it.
    Thank you., I like that rifle too and a nice shooter.
    The Bulgarian SLR95 barrels are nice candidates for builds but they are a bit odd as they have a milled RSB journal and an AK74 gas port 90 degree placement setback and a standard AKM/AK74 front journal with no threads.

They are really late generatiion barrels the Bulgarians use on their milled production rifles. But they are not standard to other countries or builds as a result. But make nice 100 series type builds.
    I hope to get along with this build soon but have several others in front of it. Thanks again.., I think I have it "figgered out".
    Last edited by akblue; 02-15-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Feedback Score

Very nice, i wish i had the equipment to create a finish like that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Maybe we are saying the same thing but I cannot follow your post.
    the trunions lug placement is the same CORRECT . if you use a akm 47 barrel an bolt you just run the barrel as is If you open up the trunnion . yes it will be further back than a 74 barrel but it wont matter .

If you have all akm 47 parts besides the trunion the only real mod would be to open the trunion bore or turn the barrel an fit the truniuon for the wider mag .

were likely saying the same thing.

if you were to try to modify a 74 bolt to work in 7.62x39 buy opening up the face you would have to then set the barrel forward to work with the longer bolt an thatr woud throw off everthing.

SORRY TO CONFUSE YOUR THREAD OR GO INTO STUFF NOT REALIVANT .

IF THE ASSULT BAN PASSES ILL LIKELY BE STICKING SEVERAL MILLED M70 KITS ON BULGY 74 TRUNIONS IN A HURRY SO I CAN GET THEM ON RECIVERS .

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Now this is what I do love about the AK Series of Rifles, especially as it relates to home builds. You can in fact do a lot of Mix 'n Match, and come out with a top quality product. I just want to see how it shoots.

As most of you probably already know, I like Milled better than stamped. But I find that 1.6mm is just about as good as the best milled out there.

We are all fortunate to have the membership that we do, where new ideas, methods, procedures, and results are so openly shared, and the spirit is very cordial.

I have enjoyed this thread immensely. And I want to thank all of the contributors for their part in it. And, for the OP: Really nice work. That is the absolute epitome of a SHTF rifle if I ever saw one, and to be fair, I would pay $750 (Pre-Obama-Freakout price) for 10 of those (read $750X10=$7500).

Keep up the good work. And please keep posting. This is like candy to an old fart like me.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.