Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rivet instead of spot welding or screw build

Feedback Score

Postak rivet instead of spot welding or screw build

would someone try to rivet there bolt guide rails on instead of screws or spot welding?

whats your opinion behind this? since its not a screw build, you wouldn't have to worry about the bolts loosening.

while having the riveted look to it.

It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.-Haruko

Feedback Score

I have done rivets and spot welded (actually, plug weld w/ mig). Both work. Seems to me that screws would never stay rigid enough in that area-IMO

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

My very first build from a flat was with rivets, as I didn't have a spot welder yet. Wasn't the prettiest, but it functioned perfectly. I probably had about 5K rounds through it before I decided to rebuild it a little nicer.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ive rivet built a lot of AK's.... but ive never riveted the rails in place.. dont see why you couldnt though..
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I agree with dutigaf

I have welded and screwed rails in, no reason rivets would not work

the trick with screwed in rails is to make modified nuts to fit inside the rail track and locite them, I got two that i did in the 90's they work to this day
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ANY THING WILL WORK . MY QUESTION IS WHY IN THIS DAY AN AGE?????

KITS ARE GOING FOR $500 AN UP WHY TAKE SOME THIG WORTH THAT MUCH AN THROW IT ON A CRAPPY BUILT RECIVER??????????????????

AT LEAST PLUG WELD THEM IN . THATS WHAT I DO. ISURE A RIVETS WILL WORK BUT ITS GOING TO BE UGLY WITH 4 0R RIVETS PER SIDE. BACK WHEN A KIT WAS $50 AN YOU WERE JUST TRYING TO MAKE A GUN THAT WENT BANG CHEAP RIVETS, SCREWS, ETC WERE A BETTER OPTION. TODAY WITH STUFF WORTH WHAT IT IS RIVITONG OR SCREWING ON YOUR RAILS TO A HOMEMADE RECIVER IS LIKE DUCT TAPEING THE WINDSHILED OF YOUR MERCEDIES IN.

FIND SOME ONE WITH A MIG . DRILL SOME 3/16" HOLES IN THE RECIVER AN PLUG WELD THE RAILS IN AN THEN SAND THE RECIVER SIDES SMOOTH BEFORE INSTALILING THE CENTER SUPPORT OR TRUNIONS. ANY SHOP THAT HAS A WELDER SHOULD DO IT PRETTY CHEAP IT TAKES ABOUT 2 MINUTES IF YOU AVE EVERY THIG CLAMPED IN A READY TO GO.

I RIVETED RAILS IN ON A BUILD YEARS AGO INSTALLED REDUCED HEAD RIVEST FROM THE INIDE AN SET THEM ON THE OUT SIDE AN THEN GROUND THEM DOWN SOME . IT WORKED WENT BANG LOOKED AN FELT LIKE CRAP. IT WAS FITTING FOR THE $80 GUN IT WAS AT THE TIME .

I ALSO DID A SCREWED IN RAIL RECIVER DECIDED IT WAS NASTY LOOKING AN NEVER FINISHED IT. IT WOULD HAVE WENT BANG IM SURE .

JUST SAYING PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE DO A BUILD YOU CAN BE PROUD OF.

Feedback Score

I have seen the screw thing before and don't know any reason why it wouldn't work. I bet it's a pain in the butt to get those nuts modified for use inside those rails, though.

The pic above, which is from the bent blank tutorial on the forum, is probably the very best-looking one of these I have ever seen.

Feedback Score

Two rivets along with the center support rivet will hold the rails.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDude View Post
    Two rivets along with the center support rivet will hold the rails.
    yo mean 1 small rivet on both sides + center support

or do yo mean 2 rivets on both sides + center support

i think 2 on both sides would be adequate
    It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.-Haruko

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

2 on both side, if was me I'd think about 3 on each side, but that's just me
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.