Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: anyone attempt to reweld a stamped rec?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I got at least 20 guns i have never shot an likely never will. They look cool in the gun room. Won't be room if i can't pay bills.

Feedback Score

The more I look at my small collection of guns, I start to think what I want to keep and what I really dont need. Like my wife says some people are happy with just 1 gun, or 1 hotrod. I cant understand that thinking but I guess it makes for alot less stress. jim
    classic wife comment

Feedback Score

we have a 68 el camino 327 auto 10 bolt bucket seat car, a 70 chevelle, 454 4 speed 12 bolt, bucket seat console etc. and a 71 camaro, 400 small block with a 6-71 blower, auto, 12 bolt. and we had a 71 nova nice vortec headed 350, cam intake etc. 4 speed 4.10 12 bolt posi. Plus the two daily drivers. And I get why do we need to insure 6 cars? So I sell the nova and anytime we see a nice one driving around I get the " why would you sell the nova".
    And the other classic saying is " you have nothing to show for it" I reply well all the cars are runnning driving, registered and insured, all the other toys are bought and paid for not on credit. and the reply is shut up. jim

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

N YEA I HAVE SOLD OFF SOME COOL CARS I WISH I HAD KEPT AMOUNG THEM A 69 NOVA SS AN 69 BIG BLOCK VETTE.

THE 67 CEHEVVLE THAT WE CUT UP AN MNADE A DRAG CAR WAS A WASTE IN TO DAYS WORLD. IT GET HARDER TO KEEP THEM ALL RUNNING AN INSURED.

I HAVE A 57 VETTE THERE IS ENOGH PARTS OUT HERE FOR A CHANANELD 31 MODELA PICK WIOHT A OLD HEMI AN A 27 T WITH A BIG OR SMALL BLOCK JUST NEED MY LIFE BACK TO GET THEM DONE. GUNS TAKE UP LESS ROOM THOUGH.

MY KID WILL BE DRIVING IN 4 YEARS AN THAT 27 LOOKS BETTER AN BETTER WITH A FOUR CYLINDER AN A TRACK T NOSE TO ME AT $4.00 A GALLON FOR GAS AN CLIMBING . IF ITS FUN ITS ALWASY EXPENSIVE IT SEEMS. THERE IS A ROAD RACE SPORTSTER SITTING HERE THAT ONE ITS CLASS DAYTONA IN 95 I DONT KNOW WHBY IM KEEPING OTHER THAN IT LOOKS COOL SORT OF LIKE A LOT OF THSES GUN PARTS.

Feedback Score

funny to see this reference to an old thread of mine earlier in this thread:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/yugo-rpk-reweld-37114/

that gun was shot a few weeks later, and even successfully fired a 223 round as fed from magazine (note to self, never let your kids load your mags). haven't fired it since. sits on the rack with all the other frankenstein guns i built around that time.

for welders wanting to reweld sheet metal. little scraps of copper bar are your friend. they can be clamped behind open gaps and mig welded across without bonding. when you release the clamp they fall off and can be used again. aluminum works almost as well, but copper is what you want. even an old piece of copper pipe smashed flat can be used.

Feedback Score

I just noticed this thread.
    Where is "weldingmachine" he should know and help yah here?
    I'm sure we could do it up, I'm in Nashua, come on by anytime!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    funny to see this reference to an old thread of mine earlier in this thread:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/yugo-rpk-reweld-37114/

that gun was shot a few weeks later, and even successfully fired a 223 round as fed from magazine (note to self, never let your kids load your mags). haven't fired it since. sits on the rack with all the other frankenstein guns i built around that time.

for welders wanting to reweld sheet metal. little scraps of copper bar are your friend. they can be clamped behind open gaps and mig welded across without bonding. when you release the clamp they fall off and can be used again. aluminum works almost as well, but copper is what you want. even an old piece of copper pipe smashed flat can be used.
    That's pretty cool !! I wish there were some cheap kits like that around still. I'd do a reweld on a stamped receiver in a heartbeat. My M76 milled receiver reweld works great, so It's time for a stamped. LOL.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

well, just went and bought another project car so the guns are on the backburner. I did cut the repair panels but thats as far as I got. Now on to the 67 el camino! jim

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Myself I wouldn't just weld one up without a repair panel to go with it. Period. Ya,, you might be just fine. BUT,,,,, even tough I'll never win any beauty contests,,,, I like my facial features left right where they are ,,,,

Thank You Very Much!!!!

I wouldn't take the chance for what,,,, a hundred bucks or so for a complete receiver ready to rock?? Why would anyone want to take that chance? IMO,,,

I'd seen some receivers welded up in the past by,, very good welders,, that have failed, others have been just fine. Seems to me that even with the prices the way they are I'd rather get a complete replacement one that's ready to go with the proper heat treating done first, before repairing one and taking the chance myself. Not uncommon for a weld to break just past where it was welded, the temper is very important and an art to get right all by itself. Not only that but what would the wire properties be you're welding with?? Would it re-temper OK ?? To soft,, to hard,,, compared to the rest of the material around it????,,,to many variables for me to take any chances with, by guessing. Not for only saving a hundred bucks or so,,,,tops. Why bother?

I'm a better than average welder with mig and tig, by most any standards and have been for many years, with a great deal of sheet metal welding experience. I've been a body man in a restoration shop and a marine mechanic most of my life and have welded things from aluminum body Ferrari's, up to 300' steel barges, and everything in between. But I wouldn't take that chance for one minute. Unless I had a 100% way to test the steels temper. I was certified for marine, pipe, and high pressure pipe,, many many years ago, and I really would not want to take that chance just to save a few bucks myself.

Remember you only got 1mm-1.5mm of material holding back what,,,,,40k-50k,, psi chamber pressure to start with,,,and holding in place a 1 1/4 lb bolt/ carrier/ piston assembly. You've all seen how much the AK platform flexes in slow motion videos!! Ya wouldn't want flaws of any type,,, me thinks. I might just be ,,,, being fussy here, but I'd prefer a fresh one myself thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.