Gunco Forums banner

anyone attempt to reweld a stamped rec?

8K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  jimmy_stikx 
#1 ·
Just purchased a matching romy G kit for more than it cost 6 months ago. But It looks like the guy tried getting the barrel pin out but had no luck. He didnt bugger it up but I dont want to destroy it either. Ive welded alot of sheet metal patches into my chevelle and elcamino's so butt joints are nothing new. Ive got a polish blank sitting here and was wondering if anyones has ever welded in a repair panel in to a stamped reciever? I did this on a milled M64 as my first AK build a couple years ago. Now Im thinking of trying it on a stamped. I dont have to mess with the headspace or deal with the barrel pin this way. Thoughts? jim

#6 ·
I'd go for it.
Just realize the 1050 steel polish blank is very soft material.
It does not lend itself to spot heat treating of axis pin holes.

I'd honestly get some smashed up receivers from Apex and cut out the sections
you need for welding and flatten them out and weld it back up.

Hell, I got one of the entire smashed deals straightened back out and ran it thru a
jig and got it almost back to original cond.

The key with these are that they are already hardened.
You can spot treat the ejector. All NFA rules apply.

#31 ·
I have heard this controversy both ways and I feel that if the spot heat treating is done right it should be fine. There is a pile of these on the market and from what I can see online they are working fine. If some have failed then where lies the blame the blank or the builder? Could be the blank is getting the blame for poor building skills. I guess I will see when I and my friend get ours built.

#7 ·
I WAS EYEBALLING A FRONT SECTION OFF A STAMPED M70 THE OTHER DAY AN THINKING I COULD LIKELY MATE IT TO A BENT TAPCO BLANK IN A PINCH. I GOT A COUPLE M70 UNDER FOLDER KITS AN NO RECIVER, SHELLS OR FLATS AN WAS THINKING THAT WELDING TO THOSE THICKER M70 RECIVERS WOULD BE DOABLE NOT MUCH DIFFERANT THAN DOING A MILLED REWELD.

I HAVE SOME HEAVIER 4140 FROM AIR CRAFT SPRUCE THAT I COULD BEND IF I HAD THE INNER JIG FOR A M70 OR COULD BORROW ONE.

FOR YOUR ROMY ID GET THE BARREL PIN OUT AN DO IT RIGHT . YOU CAN DRILL THE PIN OUT IF ALL ELSE FAILS . I HAVNET SEEN ONE YET I COULD NOT GET OUT . KNOCK ON WOOD

#9 ·
Jim.. I do not even know how to turn a welding machine on..
But I have the good fortune of having a master welder across the canal here.
35 years in the Navy between full time and reserves.. They flew him all over the world on critical welding jobs..
In one of my get er done moods on a 100% Nodak, I cracked it bad.
Bro told me it was cracking. Ah shut up, I know what I am doing, yeah right.
Gave it too the neighbor, got it back. Could not even see where he welded the thing..
Not sure what you need welded, but in the right hands, those guys can get er done.
Where is "weldingmachine" he should know and help yah here?

#12 ·
funny you mentioned the smashed apex recievers. I was sitting here looking at the two I have and was thinking the same thing. I think Im going to do some measuring and marking in the next week so see if its doable. Then the trimmed off extra peices will be perfect to practice on for setting up the mig welder and gas settings. jim

#13 ·
well, spent a few hours doing some measuring, cutting, and grinding. basically sanded the torch cut straight, and took the crushed rec. I had and unbent it as much as I could. Then measured twice and cut once. lined everything up and checked the overall length with another romy ak. I had to split the repair channel down the middle because of the hardness of the steel, it would not rebend very easily and stay.
Next up is to weld up the third hole, then add some metal where the center support smashed the upper bend and dress it down.
Then if all goes well, weld the panels onto the stubs and weld the center split. If all goes well, I'll only have to install trigger guard rivets and a center support. Would the reciever be considered a 922 part now that I "built" it? going with the tapco trigger (3) pg (1) and a US brake (1). If the reciever doesnt count, I do have a US made mag follower just to keep it legit until I can get a piston. jim

#14 ·
Sir? I know you don't know me from adam, and it is not my intention to butt in/ sound like a smartass, but i have a dumb question. Even if you weld up that third hole, isn't that receiver still a MG? I am asking because i may not know the ruling on this as well as others here on the site.

Seems i remember something about some psl's that came in w welded third holes that batfe said were all still mg's. they seem quite fond of that saying "once a machine gun always a machine gun", and i'd hate to see bad things happen on this...

Sincerely,

#16 ·
Jim
If taking the temper of parts is needed ? it can be done by heating with ocy/acl..popane ? to nerely red the let cool slow... heating and bending @ same time is better IMO....To GMAW, Co2 set at 20 psi with .023 wire and a low amp & speed setting( depends On your machine ) is easily doable ...it helps to have a chillin bar ,Cu , Al, brass etc behind/ backin up what your welding an then spot sections@ the rec as to control to much heat in one area at a time ...
ak9

#18 ·
basically what I did was make a repair patch like the ones VZ58 use to sell for the M64 milled receivers out of the crushed reciever. Only issue I have today is its so windy I dont think the shielding gas is going to be doing much good so the project is getting put on hold. Its amazing how tough a little piece of sheet metal can be trying to bend it back into shape after what looks like a truck ran over the reciever. jim

#19 ·
You've got more fortitude than me 1Biggun!!
Yugo underfolder AK47 parts kit : Gun Parts Kits at GunBroker.com

MAN I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT SELLING OFF SOME OF THIS STUFF. THAT KIT WAS $65 BACK IN THE DAY FROM CFS I BUGHT THEM FOR SPARE PARTS. MINE ALL HAVE GOOD BARRELS AS WELL AFTER I HAD SOME ISSUES WITH CFS SENDING ME SOME SUNOMIES WITH A LOT OF ENGINE OIL RUNNIG OUT OF THE BOX AN DAMAGING MY KITCHEN TABLE AN CARPET AN PISSING OFF UPS . THEY DID SOME HAND PICKING AN GAVE ME SOME GOOD DISCOUNTS TO KEEP FROM GETTING SUES LOL . THAT ONE BOX MUST HAVE HAD CLOSE TO A PINT OF OIL RUN OUT OF IT.

IF I CAN GET 700 OR 800 OUT OF THESE I MIGHT JUST SAY SCREW IT AN SELL. I DONT HAVE THE CASH TO BUY ALL THE 922 PARTS AN STUFF TO FINISH THEM ALL WITH OUT SELLING SOMEHTING . THERE ARE ALL THE OTHER CRAP LIKE THE SUNOMIES AN STENS AN PPS THAT I HAD PLANED ON DOING LATER ON THAT I MAY JUST NEVER GET TO, AN WITH LIKELY MAG LAWS OR OUT RIGHT BANS POSSBLE WHO WANTS A 10 SHOT STEN OR AK FOR THAT MATTER ??

IM TEMPTED TO KEEP 4 OR 5 OF MY BUILDS AN SELL OFF THE REST I CAN ALWAYS CHANGE THEM AROUND IN THE FUTURE. ITS BECOME A TO STRUGGLE KEEP THIS STUFF WHEN THE MORTGAGE IS TOUGHER EVERY MONTH A I NEED A BETTER TRUCK.
IT WOULD BE NICE . HAVING A WHOLE BUNCH OF GUNS AN NO HOUSE OR TRUCK IS NOT ANY FUN .

I DONT HAVE A UNDER FOLDER AN HAD SAVED MY PREMIUM KITS FOR LAST I HAVE A RARER FIXED STOCK AN NDS RECIVER DEMILLED HERE NOW AN SCREW BUILD READY IF I NEED TO HAVE IT DONE IN A HOUR OR SO. ITS TOUGHT TO LIKE THESE MORE THAN WHAT A $1000 CAN DO FOR MY LIVING SITUATION. IM HONESTLY GETTING WAY TO STRESSED ( NO IM NOT NUTS FIENSWINE IM CONCEREND WHAT FINCAIL IMPACT YOUR STUPID LAWS WILL HAVE ON MY FAMIALY ) ABOUT WHAT CAN BE LOST IF A BAN TAKES PLACE. DO I REALLY NEED A EXPENSIVE COLLECTOR CHINEASE DRUMS ? DO I REALLY NEED ALL THSES PARTS I BOUGHT 8 YEARS AGO?

THINGS ARE SO BAD GUYS ARE REWELDING STAMPED RECIVERS TO BUILD $500 KITS ON ITS NUTS. REAR TRUNIONS I USED TO CUT UP FOR PISTOL TRUNIONS ARE ALMOST AS MUCH AS ENTIRE KITS USED TO BE. ITS NO FUN TO DO CUSTOM STUFF WHEN AN EXPERIMNETAL AR STOCK SET UP COSTS $50 TO PROTOTYPE . I WAS GOING TO DO A LH CHARGE HANDEL ON A SPARE CARRIER WELL NOW THAT CARRIER IS WORTH TO MUCH TO JUST PLAY WITH. IF I WANTED A SPARE TRUNION FOR A BARREL ASSEMBLY I USED TO JUST BUY A WHOLE RUST KIT FOR $65.

I CAN HAVE A NEW BROWING BAR 7 MAG OR NEW A5 SHOTGUN FOR WHAT SOME OF THIS JUNK IS WORTH . MAYBE A 50 BMG OR A 338 BOLT GUN WOULD BE LESS STRESS FREE. MAYBE A NEW HARELY OR FINISHING MY STREET ROD WOULD MORE STRESS REDUCING . IM GETTING SICK OF THE STRUGGLE TO STAY AHEAD OF THE GAME WITH THE GUN PARTS AN LAWS.

THE CRAP THAT OUR ELECTED OFFICALS ARE PULLING IS MESSING UP A LOT OF LIVES AN ALSO INCITING PEOPE TO SPEND MONEY THEY THYE DONT NEED. THERE ARE IDIOTS BUYING CRAP THAT AN STUFF THAT WILL NEVER BE USED MANY OF THOSE GUNS WILL END UP IN CRIMINAL HANDS . THERE MAKING THERE PERCIVED PROBLEMS WORSE.

#20 ·
I feel for you. The gun hobby is my "other" hobby. My main hobby is hot rods. Sure we dont have the legal issues, just insurance and emissions. But like everything else parts arent cheap and when you have regular household bills you really have to choose whats important. I basically buy when stuff is cheap, and sell/trade parts to help pay for my cars and guns. I got into building way late, but I learned when stuff comes up like the egyptian kits, you better buy them when theyre here because they sure dont last long for sale even in normal times. I bought a couple of the polish armorer kits, PSL kit in 2010 matching with barrel. This romy kit I bought cost 340 bucks, I thought it was too high but seeing what they sell for on these websites plus gunbrokers I figure even if I decide not to build it I could make a buck or two.
The more I look at my small collection of guns, I start to think what I want to keep and what I really dont need. Like my wife says some people are happy with just 1 gun, or 1 hotrod. I cant understand that thinking but I guess it makes for alot less stress. jim

#23 ·
we have a 68 el camino 327 auto 10 bolt bucket seat car, a 70 chevelle, 454 4 speed 12 bolt, bucket seat console etc. and a 71 camaro, 400 small block with a 6-71 blower, auto, 12 bolt. and we had a 71 nova nice vortec headed 350, cam intake etc. 4 speed 4.10 12 bolt posi. Plus the two daily drivers. And I get why do we need to insure 6 cars? So I sell the nova and anytime we see a nice one driving around I get the " why would you sell the nova".
And the other classic saying is " you have nothing to show for it" I reply well all the cars are runnning driving, registered and insured, all the other toys are bought and paid for not on credit. and the reply is shut up. jim

#24 ·
N YEA I HAVE SOLD OFF SOME COOL CARS I WISH I HAD KEPT AMOUNG THEM A 69 NOVA SS AN 69 BIG BLOCK VETTE.

THE 67 CEHEVVLE THAT WE CUT UP AN MNADE A DRAG CAR WAS A WASTE IN TO DAYS WORLD. IT GET HARDER TO KEEP THEM ALL RUNNING AN INSURED.

I HAVE A 57 VETTE THERE IS ENOGH PARTS OUT HERE FOR A CHANANELD 31 MODELA PICK WIOHT A OLD HEMI AN A 27 T WITH A BIG OR SMALL BLOCK JUST NEED MY LIFE BACK TO GET THEM DONE. GUNS TAKE UP LESS ROOM THOUGH.

MY KID WILL BE DRIVING IN 4 YEARS AN THAT 27 LOOKS BETTER AN BETTER WITH A FOUR CYLINDER AN A TRACK T NOSE TO ME AT $4.00 A GALLON FOR GAS AN CLIMBING . IF ITS FUN ITS ALWASY EXPENSIVE IT SEEMS. THERE IS A ROAD RACE SPORTSTER SITTING HERE THAT ONE ITS CLASS DAYTONA IN 95 I DONT KNOW WHBY IM KEEPING OTHER THAN IT LOOKS COOL SORT OF LIKE A LOT OF THSES GUN PARTS.

#25 ·
funny to see this reference to an old thread of mine earlier in this thread:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/yugo-rpk-reweld-37114/

that gun was shot a few weeks later, and even successfully fired a 223 round as fed from magazine (note to self, never let your kids load your mags). haven't fired it since. sits on the rack with all the other frankenstein guns i built around that time.

for welders wanting to reweld sheet metal. little scraps of copper bar are your friend. they can be clamped behind open gaps and mig welded across without bonding. when you release the clamp they fall off and can be used again. aluminum works almost as well, but copper is what you want. even an old piece of copper pipe smashed flat can be used.

#27 ·
funny to see this reference to an old thread of mine earlier in this thread:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/yugo-rpk-reweld-37114/

that gun was shot a few weeks later, and even successfully fired a 223 round as fed from magazine (note to self, never let your kids load your mags). haven't fired it since. sits on the rack with all the other frankenstein guns i built around that time.

for welders wanting to reweld sheet metal. little scraps of copper bar are your friend. they can be clamped behind open gaps and mig welded across without bonding. when you release the clamp they fall off and can be used again. aluminum works almost as well, but copper is what you want. even an old piece of copper pipe smashed flat can be used.
That's pretty cool !! I wish there were some cheap kits like that around still. I'd do a reweld on a stamped receiver in a heartbeat. My M76 milled receiver reweld works great, so It's time for a stamped. LOL.

#29 ·
Myself I wouldn't just weld one up without a repair panel to go with it. Period. Ya,, you might be just fine. BUT,,,,, even tough I'll never win any beauty contests,,,, I like my facial features left right where they are ,,,,:scared:

Thank You Very Much!!!!

I wouldn't take the chance for what,,,, a hundred bucks or so for a complete receiver ready to rock?? Why would anyone want to take that chance? IMO,,,

I'd seen some receivers welded up in the past by,, very good welders,, that have failed, others have been just fine. Seems to me that even with the prices the way they are I'd rather get a complete replacement one that's ready to go with the proper heat treating done first, before repairing one and taking the chance myself. Not uncommon for a weld to break just past where it was welded, the temper is very important and an art to get right all by itself. Not only that but what would the wire properties be you're welding with?? Would it re-temper OK ?? To soft,, to hard,,, compared to the rest of the material around it????,,,to many variables for me to take any chances with, by guessing. Not for only saving a hundred bucks or so,,,,tops. Why bother?

I'm a better than average welder with mig and tig, by most any standards and have been for many years, with a great deal of sheet metal welding experience. I've been a body man in a restoration shop and a marine mechanic most of my life and have welded things from aluminum body Ferrari's, up to 300' steel barges, and everything in between. But I wouldn't take that chance for one minute. Unless I had a 100% way to test the steels temper. I was certified for marine, pipe, and high pressure pipe,, many many years ago, and I really would not want to take that chance just to save a few bucks myself.

Remember you only got 1mm-1.5mm of material holding back what,,,,,40k-50k,, psi chamber pressure to start with,,,and holding in place a 1 1/4 lb bolt/ carrier/ piston assembly. You've all seen how much the AK platform flexes in slow motion videos!! Ya wouldn't want flaws of any type,,, me thinks. I might just be ,,,, being fussy here, but I'd prefer a fresh one myself thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.