Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: anyone attempt to reweld a stamped rec?

Feedback Score

Default anyone attempt to reweld a stamped rec?

Just purchased a matching romy G kit for more than it cost 6 months ago. But It looks like the guy tried getting the barrel pin out but had no luck. He didnt bugger it up but I dont want to destroy it either. Ive welded alot of sheet metal patches into my chevelle and elcamino's so butt joints are nothing new. Ive got a polish blank sitting here and was wondering if anyones has ever welded in a repair panel in to a stamped reciever? I did this on a milled M64 as my first AK build a couple years ago. Now Im thinking of trying it on a stamped. I dont have to mess with the headspace or deal with the barrel pin this way. Thoughts? jim

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I've seen people reweld stamped receivers, but you need to use your judgement if you can do it.
    Hope someone can give a better answer.

But if you need to get that pin out, check post 13 in this thread, it might help
    http://www.gunco.net/forums/f3/first...51/index2.html
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have seen it done, no reason it couldn't be depending on the level of welding skill.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/yugo-rpk-reweld-37114/

Shooter

Feedback Score

Thanks for the link on removing the pin. I may just go that route. Jim

Feedback Score

I know people who are artist at such. It would be top secret though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I'd go for it.
    Just realize the 1050 steel polish blank is very soft material.
    It does not lend itself to spot heat treating of axis pin holes.

I'd honestly get some smashed up receivers from Apex and cut out the sections
    you need for welding and flatten them out and weld it back up.

Hell, I got one of the entire smashed deals straightened back out and ran it thru a
    jig and got it almost back to original cond.

The key with these are that they are already hardened.
    You can spot treat the ejector. All NFA rules apply.
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I WAS EYEBALLING A FRONT SECTION OFF A STAMPED M70 THE OTHER DAY AN THINKING I COULD LIKELY MATE IT TO A BENT TAPCO BLANK IN A PINCH. I GOT A COUPLE M70 UNDER FOLDER KITS AN NO RECIVER, SHELLS OR FLATS AN WAS THINKING THAT WELDING TO THOSE THICKER M70 RECIVERS WOULD BE DOABLE NOT MUCH DIFFERANT THAN DOING A MILLED REWELD.

I HAVE SOME HEAVIER 4140 FROM AIR CRAFT SPRUCE THAT I COULD BEND IF I HAD THE INNER JIG FOR A M70 OR COULD BORROW ONE.

FOR YOUR ROMY ID GET THE BARREL PIN OUT AN DO IT RIGHT . YOU CAN DRILL THE PIN OUT IF ALL ELSE FAILS . I HAVNET SEEN ONE YET I COULD NOT GET OUT . KNOCK ON WOOD

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I WAS EYEBALLING A FRONT SECTION OFF A STAMPED M70 THE OTHER DAY AN THINKING I COULD LIKELY MATE IT TO A BENT TAPCO BLANK IN A PINCH. I GOT A COUPLE M70 UNDER FOLDER KITS AN NO RECIVER, SHELLS OR FLATS AN WAS THINKING THAT WELDING TO THOSE THICKER M70 RECIVERS WOULD BE DOABLE NOT MUCH DIFFERANT THAN DOING A MILLED REWELD.

I HAVE SOME HEAVIER 4140 FROM AIR CRAFT SPRUCE THAT I COULD BEND IF I HAD THE INNER JIG FOR A M70 OR COULD BORROW ONE.

FOR YOUR ROMY ID GET THE BARREL PIN OUT AN DO IT RIGHT . YOU CAN DRILL THE PIN OUT IF ALL ELSE FAILS . I HAVNET SEEN ONE YET I COULD NOT GET OUT . KNOCK ON WOOD
    You've got more fortitude than me 1Biggun!!
    Yugo underfolder AK47 parts kit : Gun Parts Kits at GunBroker.com
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Jim.. I do not even know how to turn a welding machine on..
    But I have the good fortune of having a master welder across the canal here.
    35 years in the Navy between full time and reserves.. They flew him all over the world on critical welding jobs..
    In one of my get er done moods on a 100% Nodak, I cracked it bad.
    Bro told me it was cracking. Ah shut up, I know what I am doing, yeah right.
    Gave it too the neighbor, got it back. Could not even see where he welded the thing..
    Not sure what you need welded, but in the right hands, those guys can get er done.
    Where is "weldingmachine" he should know and help yah here?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post

Same here. I have the front stub from an old M70 U/F kit I built a few years back, that I saved because it was saw cut very cleanly. I got some .064" 4130 from McMaster-Carr and laid out the template and drilled it up. I haven't bent it yet because, like you, I needed the thinner inner die for my bending jig. I've already marked the "flat" for the matching cut so that it will line up properly for the welding to the front stub. I think it will turn out pretty good if I ever finish it. LOL.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.