Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Polish Blank Question

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I JUST THINK AT CERTAIN POINT HOME BUILDING A RECIVER LOSSES ITS ADVANTAGE. NO DOUBT A FULLY HARDENED RECIVER ON POLISH BLANK IS A QUALITY PIECE. AN WHEN THE GUNS NOW WORTH $800 WHATS ANOTHER $25

Feedback Score

To clarify my post (#11) the AKM Polish shells I received have a Brushed finish same as the picture in post # 13. The sides at the front are sanded to the extent they are .004"-.008" thinner and leaving a noticeable taper in the thickness of the shell. The shell measures .039" (1mm) in the center. Just my observation.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I JUST THINK AT CERTAIN POINT HOME BUILDING A RECIVER LOSSES ITS ADVANTAGE. NO DOUBT A FULLY HARDENED RECIVER ON POLISH BLANK IS A QUALITY PIECE. AN WHEN THE GUNS NOW WORTH $800 WHATS ANOTHER $25
    Very Valid comment. Wish I'd not bothered with the blanks at the moment and left well alone.

Yep, Big screw up. First time using paper templates. As careful as can be, printed at 1:1 scale, measured each Hole on template etc etc.

Drilled Hammer and trigger to high. A little Pi**** right now, probably just scrap metal I suppose. Oh well.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ak mastertech View Post
    To clarify my post (#11) the AKM Polish shells I received have a Brushed finish same as the picture in post # 13. The sides at the front are sanded to the extent they are .004"-.008" thinner and leaving a noticeable taper in the thickness of the shell. The shell measures .039" (1mm) in the center. Just my observation.
    Last week I inspected a couple of the shells my friend received. Not sure from what vendor. But they are smooth and clear compared to mine which do appear brushed if not sanded. Definitely different finishes or treatment as you noted.

Feedback Score

I did the same thing with my first one I bought Pullthru. I ordered 2 more from Curtis and figured that I would use the messed up one as a practice piece once I finally get a hold of a spot welder. I bought the drilling fixture after the first screw up and drilled the holes in the blank that I used the template on, got me some eggs on that receiver. I bought one with the intention of building a Polish underfolder on it, thought it would be cool to have an almost complete Polish rifle. The dang kits went from $200 to $450, seems I hold off on something and it moves further out of my reach.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by STGUSN View Post
    I did the same thing with my first one I bought Pullthru. I ordered 2 more from Curtis and figured that I would use the messed up one as a practice piece once I finally get a hold of a spot welder. I bought the drilling fixture after the first screw up and drilled the holes in the blank that I used the template on, got me some eggs on that receiver. I bought one with the intention of building a Polish underfolder on it, thought it would be cool to have an almost complete Polish rifle. The dang kits went from $200 to $450, seems I hold off on something and it moves further out of my reach.
    Seems like I thought much as yourself, I have a couple more but will not use a template, I'll have to cough up and Get a jig from Curtis.

In the process of de riveting the "offender", Damn shame as it's the best Rivet job I've managed so far.

Feedback Score

Hi I'm new here so this is my first post. I built my first ak with one of the polish blanks. I used a template everything seemed to end up in the right spot when I put it together, my tapco retaining plate held the fcg in and the safety held it in. But then I noticed problems when cycling the action. The hammer seemed like it was too high the bolt would not close until I ground it down a little. And once that was fixed I had to grind the hammer where it was held by the disconnecter because it wouldn't release the hammer to the trigger. From what I'm reading here I guess concerns like this are normal using these blanks? I have two more I want to use and really want to make sure I don't have to fine tune everything to get my gun to work.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar14889 View Post
    Hi I'm new here so this is my first post. I built my first ak with one of the polish blanks. I used a template everything seemed to end up in the right spot when I put it together, my tapco retaining plate held the fcg in and the safety held it in. But then I noticed problems when cycling the action. The hammer seemed like it was too high the bolt would not close until I ground it down a little. And once that was fixed I had to grind the hammer where it was held by the disconnecter because it wouldn't release the hammer to the trigger. From what I'm reading here I guess concerns like this are normal using these blanks? I have two more I want to use and really want to make sure I don't have to fine tune everything to get my gun to work.

Hi Mopar,

I understand that they do the same things to a greater or lesser extent at Tula and every other AK Factory in the world. It is the nature of the beast. I will freely grant that there is a lot less of this these days than there was back in the 1980's....

Regards, and Welcome to Gunco.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I think most of us have had to weld up holes and re-drill a time or two. no need to scrap them. I would have done that instead of de-milling & starting over.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I used a template everything seemed to end up in the right spot when I put it together,.............The hammer seemed like it was too high the bolt would not close until I ground it down a little
    Maybe the template is off a little? Not you applying it but it's design.

Welcome to the forum
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.