Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PSL

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I used a cold steel solutions blank for my standard PSL and for my 8mm mauser PSL/ AK/M77 build. You can cut the mag well opening to whatever mag you may be using. Login This is a pic of the latter. I used an M76 bolt and a modified mg13 mag. The cold steel blanks are pretty handy when you go changing things up, altho it is a bit of work. The link in the post is for weapons guild forum, you may have to join so you can log in but alot of gunco folks are members there. I have a detailed build thread there. Here is a simplified thread here on gunco. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/8mm-...-psl-ak-69491/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Cold Steel Solutions isn't taking new orders. Mtdew, thanks for the link.
    Semper Fortis, Paratus Et Potens, Non Sibi, Sed Patriae.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

They must be overwelmed by panic orders. I would say that you could build your own, we need to find diamensions. I can get you the measurements for the blanks tonite.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Also there is an article in shotgun news a couple issues back about building your own heavy duty receiver that may be helpful.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

yep roll your own, this was commonly done pre-internet pre ak building fad, bent blanks and flats( I always thought using flats and FFL receivers was cheating) aircraft spruce has the metal, one just needs a strong metal brake and/ or flat jig. there are plans for PSL receivers out there on the web, one just has to spend time looking for them and/or join a few ak related / build sites, they are in the library's
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

When kits were $89 to $129 and pre-made receivers were scarce it was cool and cheap to roll your own. A pre-bent 100% receiver was often 50% of the kit cost vs a roll your own or a flat at $5 to $15., and off the books

In today's world of $600+ baseline built rifles and $400 kits w/barrel., the value and quality of a pre-bent is kind of different. In terms of quality, resale and appearance a pre bent can be a good choice for overall value IMHO.

Some folks do have the shop skills and facilities to do a nice bend, cut and heat treat. But this is by far the minority.
    I soon discovered that others can bend dimple and heat treat and have a reputable name vs my garage made receiver.

Not knocking the process or the journey or the satisfaction of a full scale build., but in reality the build is likely worth the tear down parts value vs a value added complete firearm on a reputable receiver., in most cases.

I realize for some, an off the books build value is priceless for various reasons.
    Just my .02 ramble

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

"Not knocking the process" yes you are!!!
    as with everything I post,

you are entitled to your 2 cent ramble

but my post was not direct/reply to you, MTDEW and I are just providing advice to a new member
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Sprat,
    Sorry if you took my post as aimed at you. Your post did get me thinking., but I am not trying to knock you or your post(s). Not my intention. I'll be sure to check my responses in the future. I thought I was doing the same and offering advice not starting any debate. It is all good.., building fun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have thought about buying 4 or more of the APEX crushed rpk receivers and straightening them out after filling the 3rd pin, and then cutting them in half at the mag wells to make the extended receivers. I think I have a diagram for a psl from the guild, I have to look through my files. I also should practice my oxy welding (all I have currently) on sheet metal.

Also, what is the best way to go about straightening one of the trunnion ears?
    Last edited by jimmy_stikx; 03-12-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    Semper Fortis, Paratus Et Potens, Non Sibi, Sed Patriae.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.