Gunco Forums banner

PSL

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  jimmy_stikx 
#1 ·
Has anyone here made their own PSL receiver? I need to make one up for my psl kit and franken m76.

#4 ·
you may want to check out MT DEW's thread.. he did a version/combo of one of those receivers and i cant remember where i saw the other PSL made on a 76 receiver..

#5 ·
Cold Steel blank. You can cut whatever magwell you want. PSL, stamped version of an M76, or whatever you want.

#9 ·
Actually a PSL mag is larger in all dimensions than a M76 mag and receiver.
I mocked up a M76/PSL married fireram in 54r. It headspaces, feeds and mocks up fine.
But the 54r cartridges will not feed reliably from the M76 mag or a MG13 mag.
I was able to fit and feed a single stack VEPR 54r mag. But at 5 rounds and needing sideplate shims it is a great leap backwards.
I have been reluctant to mill out the M76 mag well to fit the PSL mags based on mag cost and ruining the M76 receiver.

#11 ·
I used a cold steel solutions blank for my standard PSL and for my 8mm mauser PSL/ AK/M77 build. You can cut the mag well opening to whatever mag you may be using. Login This is a pic of the latter. I used an M76 bolt and a modified mg13 mag. The cold steel blanks are pretty handy when you go changing things up, altho it is a bit of work. The link in the post is for weapons guild forum, you may have to join so you can log in but alot of gunco folks are members there. I have a detailed build thread there. Here is a simplified thread here on gunco. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/8mm-mauser-psl-ak-69491/

Attachments

#15 ·
yep roll your own, this was commonly done pre-internet pre ak building fad, bent blanks and flats( I always thought using flats and FFL receivers was cheating) aircraft spruce has the metal, one just needs a strong metal brake and/ or flat jig. there are plans for PSL receivers out there on the web, one just has to spend time looking for them and/or join a few ak related / build sites, they are in the library's

#16 ·
When kits were $89 to $129 and pre-made receivers were scarce it was cool and cheap to roll your own. A pre-bent 100% receiver was often 50% of the kit cost vs a roll your own or a flat at $5 to $15., and off the books

In today's world of $600+ baseline built rifles and $400 kits w/barrel., the value and quality of a pre-bent is kind of different. In terms of quality, resale and appearance a pre bent can be a good choice for overall value IMHO.

Some folks do have the shop skills and facilities to do a nice bend, cut and heat treat. But this is by far the minority.
I soon discovered that others can bend dimple and heat treat and have a reputable name vs my garage made receiver.

Not knocking the process or the journey or the satisfaction of a full scale build., but in reality the build is likely worth the tear down parts value vs a value added complete firearm on a reputable receiver., in most cases.

I realize for some, an off the books build value is priceless for various reasons.
Just my .02 ramble:)

#18 ·
Sprat,
Sorry if you took my post as aimed at you. Your post did get me thinking., but I am not trying to knock you or your post(s). Not my intention. I'll be sure to check my responses in the future. I thought I was doing the same and offering advice not starting any debate. It is all good.., building fun.:cheers:

#19 · (Edited)
I have thought about buying 4 or more of the APEX crushed rpk receivers and straightening them out after filling the 3rd pin, and then cutting them in half at the mag wells to make the extended receivers. I think I have a diagram for a psl from the guild, I have to look through my files. I also should practice my oxy welding (all I have currently) on sheet metal.

Also, what is the best way to go about straightening one of the trunnion ears?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.