Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: ACCURIZING THE AK

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The kits I've came across all DO NOT have barrels. Is there an advantage to chome lined? Also since the barreled kits are drying up what is the best option for an above average AK barrel?
    Yes I do realize almost all the kits on the market don't have barrels anymore, I just decided to say it that way to try and keep it simple.
    Advantages to chrome lined barrels are mainly durability from the elements and corrosive ammo, chrome holds up very well to these conditions. You have to remember these kits (mainly when they had barrels) were military firearms and were designed to be abused in the field and to be fired for long periods of time in combat. I doubt anyone or only a few people that rebuild these are going to use them that way, so unless you think your going to be doing anything like this (or not cleaning it) a non-chromed barrel will be just as good.
    Don't have a clue about an "above average" barrel, hopefully someone can give some suggestions.

Is hand-lapping feasible for your typical 4140 unlined barrel? I know all the horror stories of fire lapped bores, but they seem to be a cause of excessive usage. Would a moderate firelapping benefit?
    Can't help with this one.

Do y'all have a link to a trigger job tutorial?
    I'll have to look.

However, I will build it, but I wish to modify it to an AMD-63 type. I have a 14.5" std 4140 bbl, but I'd really like something over 16" to experiment with
    The AMD63 does use a 16" barrel, if you want to go longer you'll have to find a longer barrel or get one of those blanks and chamber & turn it down yourself.

Your welcome and I'll try to find some FCG info, I'm sure others would be interested too.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the Texas Weapons Systems dog-leg scope mount and top cover combo wasn't available. It, of course, mounts to the top of the receiver. It's gotten some fairly good reviews. Have you tried it? Got any thoughts on it? Is it absolutely necessary to mount the scope cantilevered from the RSB. I want to build AKs that are as accurate as possible, but I also want to use off-the-shelf parts as much as possible. I'm willing to go the
    IMOO AND AFTER A LOT OF SHOOTING. ANY MOUNT THAT TOUCHES THE RECIVER OR STOCK IN ANY WAY IS GOING TO NOT BE AS ACCURATE AS SOMTHING LIKE I HAVE BEEN USING ESPECIALY ON A STAMPED STEEL RECIVER. YOU CAN LITTERALY TWIST THE RECIVER IF YOU GRAP THE STOCK AWITH ONE HAND AND THE FORE ARM WITH THE OTEHR. I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH GASTUBE TUBE MOUNTS (I MAKE MY OWN) ON MY PISTOLS. OFF THE MOUNTS OUT THERE HOWEVER THE ONES THAT RUN FROM THE RSB TO THE STOCK SCREW HOLE MIGHT BE THE BEST AS THEY MIGH ADD SOME STIFFNESS IF THERE TIED DOWN TIGHT.

Also, do you remove weight from your hammers? It would seem a lighter hammer would speed up lock time, and help accuracy a bit. What about RSA adjustable triggers? Any thoughts?
    I HAVE REMOVED WEIGHT FROM MY HAMMERS AND ABOUT EVERY OTHER TRICK I CAN THINK OF ITS HARD TO SHOW ANY PROOF THAT IT HELPS BUT IT CANT HURT AS LONG AS ITS RELIABLE. IM LOOKING FOR A FEW POSTS I MADE ON TRIGGER WORK I HAVE DONE A LOT OF IT. SEEMS LIKE I PUT A LOT OF IT ON THIS THREAD IN THE LAST 20 PAGES. i HAVE BEEN ENDORSING THE RED STAR FOR YEARS EVEN THOUGH i DONT USE THEM MUCH. THERE LIKELY THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK TO IMPROVE A AK AS I STATED AS RECENTLY AS YESTERDAY OR SO. I MOD MY OWN TRIGGERS SO I DONT BUY THEM MUCH. FOR A GUY WHO HAS NOT PLAYED WITH TRIGGERS ID ADVISE OTHER THAN POLISHING THE CONTACT STUFF LEAVE THE FACTORY ONE ALONE UNLESS YOU REALLY FEEL LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!

I've seen a table that gives dimensions to AK variants and their respective diameters at the chamber, gas block, etc. I can't remember where, but if a guy were to try to find a barrel to match his kit, those are the only 2 dimensions that matter as the FSB is optional and can be fabbed up or down with no effect to the system.
    I THINK HCPOOKIES SIGHT HAS THOSE DIMENSIONS. HE HAS A GOOD SIGHT YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT EITHER WAY.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

IT WOULD BE A HELL OF A LOT EASIER TO FIND STUFF IF THE SEARCH HERE DIDNT REQUIRE MORE THAN THREE WORDS. i CAN FIND HALF THE THREADS I HAVE STARTED OVER THE YEARS. I BUMP THIS ONE UP EVERY SO OFTEN SO I DONT LOSE IT.

BTW DOING A SINGLE HOOK IS EASIER THAN A DOUBLE HOOK. ALSO YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOME FREE PLAY/TAKE UP ON A AK TRIGGER TO ALLOW IT TO WORK PROPERLY AND TO ALSO PREVENT BUMP FIRING ESPECIALY IF YOU GET THINGS REALLY LIGHT. ITS REALLY HARD NOT TO BUMP FIRE WITH A 1.5 POUND TRIGGER WITH NO PRETRAVEL (TRUST ME) ON A AK THAT GETS PACKED LOADED i RECOMEND A TWO STAGE OR AT LEAST A THREE POUND TRIGGER. ALMOST ANY AK WILL GO OFF IT HIT ON THE BOTTOM HARD ENOUGH. I TEST MINE WOTH A PLASTIC MALLET.

i HAD A THREAD ON MY TRIGGER DYNO BUT A SEARCH WONT HELP.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Its not thats its more percise its that you only have to get one hook perfect not two.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yeah sure, you only have to devote your attention to one hook, allowing for total precision work on the one . . .

I guess if the #2 precision factor (from what I gather, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if not...) is the quality of barrels, then I'm all about hearing what types of BARRELS that are compatible (w/ or w/o mod) with the 7.62x39, 5.56x45 & 5.45x39 and the respective housing (trunnions) that we use with our builds.

What's the best current source for quality blanks? and is where would a guy get one turned?

Can something like a Remington, Winchester or Savage aftermarket barrel be converted (turned) to use with the AK platform and components?

YOUR NOT GOING TO GET A QUALITY BARREL FOR UNDER 100 DOLLARS. SO ALL THE CURRENT US MADE OPTIONS THAT ARE PRE MADE OR OUT. IM NOT SAYING YOU WILL NOT GET ONE TO SHOOT OK BUT YOUR NOT GOING TO GET A SUPER ACCURATE BARREL FROM A $20 BLANK AND THATS WHAT A $65-$100 BARREL STARTS OUT WITH.

PAC-NOR, LOTHER, AND SEVERAL OTHERS MAKE BLANKS IN .310 OR .311 THERE NOT CHEAP LIKELY $250 OR MORE. tHAT IS THE GOING RATE AND STARTING POOINT FOR A GOOD QUALITY BARREL FOR MOST ANY TYPE OF GUN. THERE IS NOT A LOT OF OPTION FOR A .310 BORE. IMOO IF YOUR GOING TO SPEND THE MONEY FOR A REALLY ACCURATE BARREL AND YOU WANT A REALLY ACURATE AK YOU WILL NEED GOOD AMMO ANY WAY SO SURPLUSS IS OUT. THE ALTERNITIVE IS TO GO WITH A
    .308 BORE AND A MUCH BETTER CHOICE OF .308 BULLETS. iF YOUR GOING TO SHOOT WITH PERCISION IN MIND YOU BETTER START RELOADING (NOT TO MENTION ITS MUCH CHEAPER).

THERE ARE TONS OF GOOD .308 BORE BLANKS OPUT THERE AS WELL AS TWIST OPTIONS. HTERE IS ALSO A LOT OF FACTORY TAKE OFF BARRELS OUT THERE THAT CAN BE AS YOU ASKED TURNED DOWN TO AN AK PROFILE.

I TURN MY OWN BARRELS AND HAVE DONE SOME FOR OTHERS WHEN IM NOT BUSY. THE BARREL ON MY VARMINT RIFLE PICTURED IN THIS THREAD WAS AMADE FROM A SAVAGE BOLT ACTION (223) ANY BARREL THAT HAS A 23MM SHANK CAN BE USED AS LONG AS ITS 23MM AFTER ITS CUT AND RECHAMBERED.

IN 5.45 PAC-NOR MAKES BLANKS. IF YOUR GOING TO GO WITH A 5.45X39 YOU NEED TO CONSIDER WHT YOU WILL BE SHOOTING IN IT AFTER YOU BUY A EXPENSIVE BARREL BLANK???? THERE IS NOT MUCH BUT SURPLUSS OR CHERAP ASSS STEEL CASED JUNK OUT THERE AND THERE IS NOT REALLY ANY RELOADABLE BRASS. YOU CAN MAKE IT FROM 223 OR OTHER CASES BUT WHY BOTHER??? IF YOU WNAT PERCISSION IN A ROUND LIKE THAT AND YOU WANT GOOD AMMO ITS JUST SIMPLER AND SMARTER AN CHEAPER TO GO WITH A 223 INSTEAD. NO SENSCE BUILDING A GGOD BARREL FOR AMMO THAT IS NO GOOD.

ON 7.62X39 RIFLES i LOOK FOR A SLOW TWIST BARREL AS 1-10 IS IMOO TO FAST FOR A 125 GRAIN BULLET AND EVEN FAST FOR A 150 GRAIN. HOWA HAS A 1-12 TWIST IN SOME OF THERE 308 AN 30-06 BARRELS THEY SHOOT GOOD AND CAN BE HAD ON GUNBFOKER FROM TIME TO TIME FOR AROUND $50 OR SO. THERE A GOOD START FOR A GOOD SHOOTING 308X39. REMINGTONS WORK FINE AS WELL BUT KEEP IN MIND THE REMINGTON 700 OFTEN DONT SHOOT THAT GOOD OUT OF THE BOX. SAVAGE IS ANOTHER EXCELENT CHOICE ESPECIALLY IN 223 AS THERE GENERALY 1-9 TWIST. AND THERE VERY ACCURATE OUT OF THE BOX.

TO REALLY GET SERIOUS ABOUT THIS STUFF YOU NEED A LATHE AND A MILL OR HAVE DEEP POCKETS TO HAVE OTHERS DO IT. ANY MACHINEST OR GOOD GUN SMITH CAN TURN YOU A BARREL. YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR PART AND SUPPLY CORRECT DIMENSIONS AND KNOW WHAT YOU WANT AHEAD OF TIME. YOU CANT JUST SAY HERE YOU GO AND HAND THEM A BLANK. IT TAKES A AK EXPERT TO KNOW WHAT YOU WANT AHEAD OF TIME. YOU NEED TO KNOW JOURBAL DIAMITERS , THROAT LENGHTS, EXTRACTOR GROOVE DIMENSIONS, BREACH CHAMFER SPECS. CROWN ANGLE, GAS PORT SIZE, ECT AND IT ALL NEEDS TO BE PERFECT FOR IT TO WORK RIGHT.

I SPEND HOURS DOING A BARREL FOR MY SELF

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT ANY AMERICAN RIFLE TAKE OFF WILL HAVE A .308 BORE NEED TO BE RECHAMBERED TO THE X39 AND THEN PROFILED. THATS GOING TO COST AT LEAST $150 WITH THE MUZZEL THREADED. TO BE CLEAR YOU CANT BUY A $100 BALNK THAT ANY GOOD EITHER. iM SAYING THAT THE CHEAP STUFF ISTIN GOOD. A REALLY GOOD BLANK WOLL START AT AROUND $250. THERE A RE 4150 OPTIONS BUT YOUR NOT GOING TO BUILD A TACK DRIVER BUT YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF THAN A FACTORY SET UP.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

saw this while looking for some thing else.

it looks like this was in percision shooting some time ago??? posted on the sagia forum last year. a pretty accurate 5.45x39 variant wildcat. looks like it shoots almost as good as mine. just more proof it csn be done.

ACCURIZING A KALASHNIKOV RIFLE - forum.Saiga-12.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

here is a good video of barrel flex/harmonics of a mini 14... you will note the bullet is gone before the action moves its at differant speeds and you can pause it with a muzzel blast and clearly see the action is still closed. I have no doubt the AK is about the same. you will also note the barrel flexes a lot.

Accurizing u guys seen this vid? - Shooting Sports Forum

I have been thinking about what affect the reciver and the action really have. I have read a bunch of sites that claim the action and the pistion all cause issues with Ak accuracy. I fail to see how if the bullet leaves the barrel before the action moves. I looked for videos like this to prove i was thinking correctly. id love to have a camera like that.

I keep coming to the conclusion that if the round is percisly located in a percision tight chamber and the bolt is consistantly locked intot he same location and the optics is on the barrel not the reciver the gun is going to be accurate. ( with good barrel, ammo, etc.

IMOO IF ITS NOT A BOLT ACTION YOUR BETTER OFF HAVING THE OPTIC MUNT SITTING ON THE BARREL SO IT RIDES WITH BARREL AS IT WALKS. OR AT LEAST ISNT AFFFECTED BY RECIVER FLEX.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ANOTHER SLOW MOTION VIDEO

LOTS OF BARREL FLEX. I assume that if the harmonics is the same every time the point of impact will be the same but damm it looks like the gun will shacke its self apart.
    think twice before soldering on barrel attachemnts or usisng something like a set screw. yikes

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

sks video

lot less flex/harmonics

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.