Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: ACCURIZING THE AK

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Lots of AK scope mounts offset the scope to the left.
    thats not going to happen for what i want it as i want the scope centered above the barrel. but it is a option

Has anybody tried a tuner on an AK? Any links to pictures (so I know if I'm completedly stooopid on this one)?

tuners work by controling and adjusting harmonics of the barrel. they vary in design from rubber like donuts to metal rings on threads like the browning BOSS system. there are a number of set ups. I have also seen braces that support the barrel. there are some being sold to fit the mini 14.

Im not a expert but I think they would be most usefull on light barrels, an I dont see how they would help barrel walk when the barrel heats up. The reinforcement strut might help barrel walk however.

There worth a shot you can always take it off.

Tuner? Something like the wire on this thing?
    any info on that rifle?? Id like to have a stock like that.there are tapes like that used n bolt actions to stop heat distortion. I was thinking of one on my varmint build

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

here is the accu strut. there seems to be a lot of dodads to make the mini 14 shoot better.

The Original Barrel Strut for Mini-14s

I have seriously considered making a strut for a light barrel light gun build. i was thinking of making a gas tube that ran forward to the RSB you could maybe but a flash light or lazer in the front portion.

a strut running from the bottom of the RSB through the GB and forward to the muzzel could be done also.

Im thinking a heavy barrel that is flutted would give the same results. it would be easy to make up simple strut with some barrel clamps and try it with the hand guards removes on a standard barrel. Making the tension adjustable might give some results as well.

there are also tension barrels out there for various fire arms that possably be used on the AK.

Feedback Score

Hi TRX,
    Somehow I think it would be tough to compensate for the bolt stability and alignment without the long gas piston. Kind of like a bottle rocket without a stick...
    You could enhance the bolt and rails or use a heavy duty rail system milled into the reciever, but would the gain be worth it? HELL YES!!! Just to see if you could do it!
    Do it before it is too late!
    Proud member of the NRA,GOA and JPFO!!!
    And now GOCRA in MN!!!!

Feedback Score

Could go with a PSL style bolt carrier that engages the receiver's top rails in 2 places.

I don't see how the stoner system could be adapted to the AK though, the ejector cut makes the bolt carrier rather leaky looking. A more "standard" impingement system could pretty easily be used in the place of the piston though. Shorten the "nose" of the bolt carrier while you're there, and go with a shorter spring made of thicker wire to compensate for the smaller compressed length of the spring from removing the nose of the bolt carrier.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Both good points. Given AK clearances, you'd need some sort of guide rod to keep things lined up. The obvious place for the rod is right where you'd want to put the gas key...

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by wrench1957 View Post
    Yeah, 486. I don't know about the psl thing but what you said is what I imagined.
    The PSL's bolt carrier has rails on it that hook onto the top rails of the reciever near the front of the bolt carrier as well as the rear. Normal AK bolt carriers only have the rails in the back of them and rely more on the piston for location of the front of the bolt carrier.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Not sure what you would gain. my gun shot pretty much the same with or with out a gas system so I dont reaqlly thing there would be much of a accuracy gain.

if you still wanted to do it a gude rod going rear ward into a AR type stock would keep the carrier in place. the clearances need to be tightend up any way so starting with the rails and going from there would be how Id do it.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Not sure what you would gain. my gun shot pretty much the same with or with out a gas system so I dont reaqlly thing there would be much of a accuracy gain.
    When you shot it without the gas system did you still have the gas tube and piston touching the barrel? I know that that kind of stuff is all about consistency of where the parts settle to, but I can't help but think that the piston and gas tube resting on the barrel would help accuracy.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

When you shot it without the gas system did you still have the gas tube and piston touching the barrel? I know that that kind of stuff is all about consistency of where the parts settle to, but I can't help but think that the piston and gas tube resting on the barrel would help accuracy.
    No I initaly shot it with no gas block and no gas tube for around a 1000 rounds the first year. I then addded a block and tube. The tube lays in a slot in the GB and is free floating at the RSB vis a screw with bushing that keeps it from being tight. I can move the tube up and down about a 1/8" with no bind. The barrel is basicaly free floating the piston has lots of wobbel so only the weight of the piston is resting on the GB. i have shot my best groups with the gas system installed likely a result of better hand loading or trigger control. The port is a rojnd .075 as I recall.

even if you were going to do a AR impengemnt set up you would still need a gas tube/line and a GB so I dont think you going to gain much.

there might be some gains if a piston were desgned to not actually touch the GB so the barrel had zero pressure applied. posably a rigid tube and a situation were the pistion head did not go into the G but just was in front of it with a .001 or so gap to allow barrel float. Mine is it close tolerance fit to try to reduce poert size but its possable it might have been better with a super light block and the pistion sealed in the end of a tube that almost touched the GB.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Ive been looking at the fast twist 223/5.56 barrel blanks that GM has, for a heavy profile shortish target build with heavy bullets. was thinking of doing it in 22 bench reast or 22PPC. There not a high end barrel but it might make a good inexpensive target/varmint build. was thinking about a 18" barrel to keep things stiff.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

accurizing an ak 47

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.