Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Romanian '3' Front Trunion

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Romanian '3' Front Trunion

Have a Romanian front trunion that is stamped with a '3' on the top flat area where the rear sight base goes over it. It is easy to push a standard size Romanian barrel into it with light finger pressure. Are there any barrels available to fit this oversized trunion?

Thank you very much in advance for any information.

Feedback Score

Romanian barrels are journal marked as well. The average or nominal seems to be a '2' looks like you need a '3' or...,

A hand knurler., can also be done by hand with a sharpened punch and hammer>

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Measuring Tools, Cutting Tools and Shop Supplies

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I was going to recommend that earlier the same technique, old time smiths called it stippling the term knurling works too
    the tolerances are to tight to do anything else here
    Last edited by Sprat; 03-15-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: misspelled word: it was a long day
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I had one like that, trun and bbl from diff rifles. What the boys said about stippling is what I did, I dont have a lathe to knurl. Just punch where the bbl and trun contact a coupla hundred times, the metal around the punch mark will raise and give you a good press fit.The pic shows really agressive stippling, u dont have to punch that close together, but the more the better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

another trick is to use the aluminum tape applied by hvac contractors. .003" if I remember correctly. Just enough for a good interference fit.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

The hand knurling tool does not require any other tools. For $39 plus ship it is a handy tool for any less than adequate interference fit.
    So tape can be actually used in a press fit barrel? Seems like it woud simply push out of the journal or trunnion vs stand up the 1,000's of pounds of interference press? But if that works it is a good idea. Just never saw it used.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by akblue View Post
    The hand knurling tool does not require any other tools. For $39 plus ship it is a handy tool for any less than adequate interference fit.
    So tape can be actually used in a press fit barrel? Seems like it woud simply push out of the journal or trunnion vs stand up the 1,000's of pounds of interference press? But if that works it is a good idea. Just never saw it used.
    I learn something new everyday. I need to get a hand knurling tool. We would knurl on the lathe in high school shop. Good to know, wish I had known earlier, would have saved me much time and labor.Thanks again, blue.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

what if you stippled and then used the tape?
    would it not fill in the voids in the stippling and make it stronger?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I kinda a gree with blue how does the alum tape stay on once you start pressing the barrel into the trunnion, stippling with a hand tool is fairly easy, no need for expensive tools, the work MTDEW pictures we did that on the alum and steel sig p-228/9 pistol frames for better grip, when we did the big build program back 2004 era just a steel punch and hammer
    smiths have been doing this for many moons for realign open break shotguns and lose sights
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Inquiring minds want to know. I would like to see how you get alum tape to stay on something you are press fitting?
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.