Gunco Forums banner

Chinese slant-cut rec'r - cheap fix (pics)

6K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Trueno 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a MISR-90, it started life as a semi-auto clone of the Chinese Type 56. Built in Egypt, it was assembled on an Egyptian rec'r and then shipped to the US.

The job here is to replace the original thumbhole stock with a Type 56 stock and pistol grip.

Some have a plate welded in the rear of the rec'r, it has a bead connecting it to the rear trunnion. Knock the plate back and forth, it'll hinge on the weld and will eventually weaken it and the plate will fall loose. Dremel away the remnant of the weld.

Look under the release button and see if there's a hole already there for the front screw for the buttstock. This one didn't have it so I drilled a pilot hole for the shaft of the screw and then countersunk it to make room for the head of the screw.

With the plate out of the way you can test fit the stock.

Jig up a scrap piece of carbon steel and tack it in place.

Weld it to the rec'r, then mark your cut lines. Don't mark the lines exact, leave yourself a lil extra for that final dressing with a file.
Yes, the bead looks like a$$, was in a hurry and too lazy to sharpen my tungsten.

Roughed in with a cutoff wheel, time to take it home and let the Dremel do the rest.

Fairly decent fit, ready for prep and paint.

t

after:

See less See more
#2 ·
That sure seems like a very labor intensive way to mount that stock. Myself I'd have just changed the stock "tongue" angle, cut the excess off and added a butt pad to regain the length of pull myself. Just seems to me a better way to do it rather than go through all the welding, re-tempering and refinishing of the metal. Way easier to re-work the wood than the metal, especially sense the wood needed a re-work to start with. Plus you have the option of putting the gun back to original at a later date, if you wanted to without a pile of extra work . I'm not being a smart ass here ,,, so don't take me wrong, but not the method I'd have used.

I'm sure it will come out fine ,,,, but wow what a bunch of extra work!! You must be retired too and just want to experiment some,,,,,,LOL!!!!

#5 ·
That sure seems like a very labor intensive way to mount that stock. Myself I'd have just changed the stock "tongue" angle, cut the excess off and added a butt pad to regain the length of pull myself. Just seems to me a better way to do it rather than go through all the welding, re-tempering and refinishing of the metal. Way easier to re-work the wood than the metal, especially sense the wood needed a re-work to start with.
Only problem with your idea is that pesky tang on the rear trunnion, can't change the angle to match the dangle on your version. That, and it looks like a pretty hard 10* or so to drop that stock just to match the angle of the slant-cut. ;)

Plus you have the option of putting the gun back to original at a later date, if you wanted to without a pile of extra work . I'm not being a smart ass here ,,, so don't take me wrong, but not the method I'd have used.

I'm sure it will come out fine ,,,, but wow what a bunch of extra work!! You must be retired too and just want to experiment some,,,,,,LOL!!!!
Probably just put a regular thumbhole on it (instead of slant-cut). I know, easy for me to say since I have so much AK stuff layin' around but a lil Dremel work and a slant-cut thumbhole would be easily modified for use in "restoring" a MAK-90 to its post-ban glory :)tongue:)

(...and for the welders in this thread)
As far as "work" goes, it's what I do. My specialty is Aluminum welding (TIG/stick/MIG) and I'm fairly good with SS and Carbon steel but never have gotten the hang of this lil machine I used for this job.
It's a Miller DIVERSION 180, an inverter machine but pretty much NO features...not recommended except for a basic starter in TIG at home.

thanks for your time and input twa2471,

t

#7 ·
Kind of ghetto in the presentation but the idea/process comes across fairly clear huh? I enjoyed it because I also got to finally examine a MISR-90 up close to see what is what.

Appears the ones with the Chinese trunnions are fine compared to those built with Egyptian trunnions/bushing. Egyptian parts seen on this rifle were rec'r, trigger guard, selector, rear trunnion.

t

#4 ·
Good job. Yeah I don't blame you. It's a lot of labor, but the cost is minimal, and once you're done, it looks SO much better!!

#6 ·
True, not so much the labor but I like the challenge. I'd been doing a bunch of MIG on some Aluminum that day and needed to knock this out before we closed the shop. If I ever do it again I'm gonna dedicate some quality time for the job.

thanks for the flowers,

t

#8 ·
Nice job! Wish I could weld sheet metal like that. My welding doesnt look too bad after some patch work and lots of grinding and sanding. I'm better at grinding than welding. LOL

#14 ·
Looks MUCH better!

#17 ·
Nice job, True! I have done a simular thing once, altho it was to correct a foul up on my part. I cut a bent blank too short for an amd 65 and had to add to it. Thats what they make welders and grinders for!

#19 ·
Trueno, great job. I really like it, and I think fixing the receiver, instead of buying a slant cut stock, is the way to go, if you have the skills/equipment. Looks so much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.