Gunco Forums banner

80% reciever question

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  sovblocgunfan 
#1 ·
So if you buy an 80% blank no matter where it was made it is not considered a receiver yet it is considered basically a paper weight. SO if you are in the US and drill it out and make it a receiver is it then a US made receiver?

#5 ·
those atf letters are sometimes not worth the paper they are printed on, but the general excepted fact and/or rule of thumb is, they are not receivers and once made 100% they are US made,, though that has been argued for years also

#7 · (Edited)
But can we engrave or mark the receiver made in the USA? that s the sixty-four thousand dollar question, If anyone wants I will write a letter toi ATF regarding this issue
and post the response that I get back from ATF, If you guys would like me too, Further if ATF write yiou back on a project you are doing, and you follow that plan to the letter, as you have explained your build. and they givce yu the go ahead or approve your build, I keep a copy of the letter with all the receipts with the US part count, in my case when I go to the range just in case someone decides to get curious to see if my weapon is built correctly ,anad I keep a copy of these papers not only in my safe , but also in a safety deposit box that shows every peice of documention for that weapon, usally when you have this the Police and goverment will leave you alone, Has just been my experence, and dont argue with them, if they want something changed ,change it, it only goes to prove that you are willing to work with in ATF's laws wich goes a long way on gettign a build approved. and just because one guy will approve the build , dosn;t mean another agent will agree with him or her, but more than likely they will just let it slide or offer yiou a suggestion to make it just a weee bit better so it dont go full rock & roll...Doc

#10 ·
OK its like this its not a recvier an wont be until its made into one . were its made into one is what matters. you don't need to stamp any thing an would make no difference if you did. oits the same as a taking a demilled set of milled stupos an weldinghem up here you now have a USA made recvier.

half the steel we get in the usa is made in canida or some were else now.

#11 ·
And there is no such thing as a "%" receiver. In the eyes of the BATF it is either a NON GUN (No FFL needed) or it is a FFL item (Receiver / 4473 part) They do not go off the percent scale. I found that out with me PKM/PKT receivers I either sell as an 07 or they are a piece of steel.

#12 ·
I'll agree when it comes to ATF and what they say, you always get diffrent answers to the same questions, I have only see a handfull of times where agents were in agreement.
But I was told by several LEO's that if you have Documentation on your build, such as parts receipts, and your build approval letter on top, I was told 99 times out of 100 you will not be harrassed or taken into custody. Of course this is the goverment were talking about so I just play it safe and carry all my paperwork when I go Shooting or Hunting, And then if they want to take my paperwork and decide to lock my ass up and some officer or DA say well he didnt have any paperwork, I have copies and the best part is I always have a copy of the orgional letter asking for approval of the gun I built and that is right behind thier Build Approval letter and then all my receipts. I was questioned once about a gun while at a range, all the usual questions etc, And the person I was talking to Identifed himself as a Police Officer, and he admired the gun I had built and asked me, the big NO NO Question! Could I make one for him! and nicly I told him that If I could do so legally I would, But I dont have a manufactures license to build firarms for sale , nor do I have an FFL license to which I could then transfer a newly made weapon to him. But I told him, I have a friend that can build him one from scratch and sell it to him legally, and I told him right up front this way Im protected, my Friend with the License is protected and that he was protected.( I didnt know if his real intent was to get a weapon or make an arrest! and Im not breaking thre law for anyone! MY own wife asked me if a gun is in the House and it a Class lll weapon, what could happen if its not fired or anything just as a keep sake from her father dad who picked it up overseas and brought it back, whcih can lead to all kinds of problems. I told her first off plese tell me that you do not have a class lll weapon in your house without a federal License. she said the weapon dose not fire it was decommishoned by a military gunsmith before being allowed to be brought back to the United States.( this is when we first met and after several dates at the range) She said yepers I still have it my dad wouldnt give it to my only brother and surly wouldnt give it to her sister, I just happen to have my shooting gloves on, I said ok if you dont mind let me see it, I put my gloves on, and I didnt want my paw orints anywhere on that gun just in case!! and what she had was a dewatt Mg34. My jaw dropped to the floor the gun looked like it had just been made, I mean it was perfect> she said why dont I just hang this on the wall, And simply stated I told her that is to go into a safe due to the fact this gun coulds be made active active again, the process back then to dewatt a gun a difftrent than it is now! But she has the gum legally her dad did what was called a gun trust, its like a will but for firarms only. She asked me what I had to do to make the gun live. I told her WHAT YOU have to Do is apply for a Curio & relics Liscnce and this gun at the time was covered under this license. But I told her she would also have to move to a state where class lll weapons are allowed and to be prepaired to give th egoverment 200 dollars for the tax stamp. ahe asked me If I thought it was worth it to do it. I asjked her if she ever plans on selling it she said maybe, I told her that seh coild sell the dewatt as is, to a private collector, or go through allthe bs of haveing it rebuilt and brought back to its orgional firing status. I told her it would be about a grand to do this jsy due to what the parts cost, and I reminded her that you cannot have a classlll weapon here where we live, so we might want to get anotherpeice of realestate, she said why, I said cuz they are not legal to own here even if you do have a C&R License, lately we just had aproval by the state to have silencers Whoooo hoooo! but it still cost the big bucks as usual. I say its onlu a matter of time once everything cools down that they may consider allowing class three weapons to be owned by citizans who Know How to use them Properly, safely and correctly..Until ten we have what we have, and we can make them work!,,,Doc

#13 ·
MOST LEOS HAVE NO CLUE WHAT 922 IS OR WHAT CAN AN CAN NOT E DONE MANY FFL DEALERS DONT KNOW WHAT CAN AN CAN NOT BE DONE. HOWMANY TIMES THERE A NUMBER GIVEN FOR HOW MANY HOME BUILDS YOU CAN DO BY SOME SO CALLED EXPERT?

THERE ARE GUYS LISCNESED FFL BUILDERS. IN THE THE USA WHO WILL TAKE YOUR MILLED STUBS , OR YOUR POLISH PIECE OF METAL AN BUILD IT INTO A RECVIER AN PROPERLY STAMP IT AS MANFACTURED BY THEM AN THEN SHIP IT BACK TO YOUR FFL TO BE LEGALY SOLD TO YOU. TURBOTHIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF A GUY WHO DOES OR DID BUILD/MANUFACUTURER REVIERS FROM MILLED CUT KITS. IT WILL HAVE HIS BUSSINES NAME HIS STATE AN USA ON IT .

HAVING PAPER WORK IS OK AN NOT A BAD IDEA BUT YOU DONT NEED IT AN A LEO HAD BETTER HAVE A REAL GOOD REASON TO ARREST YOU IF YOUR GUN IS HOME BUILT THEY KNOW THERE ARE THOIUSANDS OF HOME BUILD AN THAT ITS LEGAL TO BUILD GUNS . I DO KEEP THE PISTOL RULES IN MAY TAPCO GRIP AS MANY DONT KNOW A AK PISTOL MADE AT HOME WITH A 16" BARREL IS A PISTOL AN NOT A SHRT OR STOCK LESS RIFEL. I KEEP SOME COPYS OF LAWS AN ATF LETTER IN MY GUN CASE BUT I DONT WORRY ABOUT IT MUCH.

#14 ·
AS FAR AS YOUR WIFES DADS DEMILLED BRING BACK . JUST BECASUE IT WAS DEMILLED BY A GUN SMITH IN 194?? . THE LAWS HAVE CHANGED SEVERAL TIMES AN IT MIGHT NOT BE DEMIILED BY TODAYS STANDARS. FOR EXAMPLE YOU CANT TAKE A FULL AUTO AK RECVIER AN WELD IT UP DRILL HOLES THROUGH THE BARREL AN ALL THAT CRAP WELD IT UP SOLID AN HANG IT ON A WALL IT IS STILL A ILLEAGEL FULL AUTO. BY LAW IT NEEDS TO BE TORCH CUT AN THE CENTER REMOVED.
THERE ARE DEACTIVATED WALL HANGERS SEIZED ALL THE TIME. HAVING IT AN IT BEING ILLEAGEL COULD COST YOU ALL YOUR STUFF. MOST OF THE DEMILLED GUNS IN EURPOPE THAT SELL THERE LEGALY ARE NOIT LEGALY HERE . TRUST ME I HAVE TRIED INORER TO GET THE BARREL PARTS STOCKS , AN OTHER SAVALAGABLE THINGS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.