Thread: AMD 65 Gas Tube Question

Feedback Score

Default AMD 65 Gas Tube Question

Bear with me I am new at this. A friend and I are getting AMD 65 parts kits no receiver of course and no barrel my question is on the barrel if I get a 16 + inch US made barrel do I have to get a longer gas tube? Or is that issue only with those that want to put on a top hand guard ?

So if the gas tube is shorter and you are putting on a standard length barrel does that mean that you have to put on a longer gas tube and a different gas piston on the bolt?

If that is the case is it easier to buy a barrel that you need to drill the gas hole in the barrel to use the original parts? Or am I making this all harder then it is?

Feedback Score

OK I could still use the Answers but I do see AK-Builders makes a barrel for it which you have to add a long enough brake to make it legal. But I am still not sure if a longer barrel will work.

Feedback Score

OK did some more searching so I see I just need to get the right barrel for it so I can use my original parts. Which is fine since I need a US made barrel to add to my compliance list.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I forget the length, but yes AK-Builder (and I think some others) carry a barrel that works with the original parts, but you still need to permently attatch the muzzle brake.

If you go with a standard 16" barrel, yes get one that does not have the gas port drilled. If you get one with the gas port, you'll need a standard length tube & piston.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Thanks I think it would be best to go with the barrel that is for the kit since I have to buy a barrel no matter what. Since it is US made that will go as one of my US made Compliance Parts.

Feedback Score

If you buy anymore AMD kits go to Colorado AK ARMS.....they sell a complete matching kit with US barrel made by them. You literally get everything you need minus the receiver. Plus you can choose what length or barrel you want, along with other things like Tapco trigger, muzzle brakes, rivets, etc. Oh, did I mention the kits are 100% demilled (pretty sure). I chose the 14.375" barrel so I could use oe amd brake and still be sbr compliant. You might even be able to buy the barrel only from them.???

I have spoken with who I believe is the gunsmith/owner who makes the barrels and does the work many times....he knows his stuff.

In retrospect, I prob shouldn't be leaking this to those who don't know about Co AK Arms, cause now I will have to wait even longer for my next kit! Lol.....but i figure its a small way to payback those who have helped me here on GUNCO.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

you can just use a Sagia tube if you can fiund one an a Rommy or standard AKM barrel . that is the easy way or you can use a standard barrel with your tube . you will need to machine the barrel some .

if you have a akm barrel that has a port already just pot a leave over it that touches the GB its barrely noticeable an if you add a lip tot he bussing it will look like a tantal GB that takes a clamp Bipod .

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by birdman8387 View Post
    If you buy anymore AMD kits go to Colorado AK ARMS.....they sell a complete matching kit with US barrel made by them. You literally get everything you need minus the receiver. Plus you can choose what length or barrel you want, along with other things like Tapco trigger, muzzle brakes, rivets, etc. Oh, did I mention the kits are 100% demilled (pretty sure). I chose the 14.375" barrel so I could use oe amd brake and still be sbr compliant. You might even be able to buy the barrel only from them.???

I have spoken with who I believe is the gunsmith/owner who makes the barrels and does the work many times....he knows his stuff.

In retrospect, I prob shouldn't be leaking this to those who don't know about Co AK Arms, cause now I will have to wait even longer for my next kit! Lol.....but i figure its a small way to payback those who have helped me here on GUNCO.
    This is the only kit I will be buying but I may check with them on a barrel

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile birdman..

Remember the scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, when they were working as guards, going too the bank to pick up money?
    Think it was Will Geer hired them..
    "Butch you watch left, I will watch right." Guys, they are not going to rob us on the way too the bank, they are going to try to rob us on the way back, when we have the money..
    You buy the parts, then you tell everyone about the great deal..
    Forget who the member was posted. "Is this a good deal on this stuff?"
    It sold out in an hour.. Oh God the guy was pissed..
    "You you mother friggers. You bought it all."
    Geez sorry..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

good point 4th.....i got mine before saying this.....lol. but noted.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    Thomas Jefferson

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.