Gunco Forums banner

Gas block barrel port

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 ·
Need advice. Having trouble drilling a port in the barrel using the gas block as a guide. The barrel appears to be unusually hard, and my bits have not been able to cut it. I have used new titanium coated bits. Broke several. I'm thinking I wil need to buy a extra long end mill instead of a drill bit. ???

#2 ·
is there a peice of broken drill bit stuck in there? If it is it may be breaking the other bits. I broke a bit once doing the same thing. its easy to get it in a bind and break because of the angle. Luckily for me the broke peice wasnt wedged in and fell out when I turned it upside down. I know you dont want to hear this but you may have to pull the gas block to get the bit peice out, but if the broke peice is sticking up past the surface of the bbl it may bind the gas block when pulling it off. If you get it off you can drill it at a 90 deg angle. Just a thought.

#4 · (Edited)
Finally got the barrel port drilled. After much drilling and trying three bits, I got fed up and drilled the barrel where the mark was from trying to do it assembled. All that drilling, and it only left a scratch. Chamfered the opening with a ball end mill to be sure that the port matches the gas block drilling. Barrel was like drilling granite. Put it in the drill press and it took a long time to drill this one hole. Used a brand new carbide bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.