Gunco Forums banner

Welding Adventures

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 ·
Be gentle if this is a completely stupid idea.

Have almost zero welding skills on thin steel and to make matters worse a HF 90amp Flux wire feeder unit.

I get around ok with thicker material but at Minimum switch setting I guess it still pumps out to much juice.

attempting filling up holes on 040" scrap rec. Copper disc at back of hole . Looked good I thought but as it cooled I could see a space. Space proved troublesome to fill.
Thought of using another copper disc on the outside, but cut through like a washer. Figured the Weld has to stay within it's confines. Hell of a weld , seems like hole is really filled this time.

I'll know for sure after I grind the Steel and copper off !
The inside of the Rec. though looks bad, almost like 3 Islands within the hole diameter,.

The idea I had-- Finally-- was to get small chips off the Mill, --same steel and pack them in the hole, firmly up against the Copper backing plate.

A much smaller copper plate , just a bit bigger than the Hole maybe, to be placed on the outside.

Clamp firmly with the Spotwelder and Cook it !!?????.

Would the chips Melt and flow ?

Would it work, and who would know ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

See less See more
#2 ·
On a flux core wire as you weld flux can and will enter your base material "your hole "or spot left unfilled . Flux core has its place but not really accepable results on 040. as the thinnest wire is .035? 030 maybe .
Ideally .023 wire co2 @ ~20psi~ or other inert gas amps /current set as low as you can . The inert gas is the flux so no flux contaminate in the base material.
oxcy/acly gas welding can be done on 040 with a small dia . tip & regs balanced at low pressures but warpage can be an issue when welding rails in
ak9

#9 ·
I've welded up rear trunnion holes on Tapco flats, when building Bulgy 74's on them. The forward two trunnion holes don't line up, and must be redrilled, and the original holes filled. I've used the same HF flux core welder as you, and have successfully welded the holes up. Using my copper backed welding pliers, and some heat sink paste around the hole. I run a 50 foot extension cord with my HF welder to limit the amps. The only way I have been able to get the heat down enough to weld on the .040 receivers/flats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.