Thread: Cosmetic issue....Suggestions???

Feedback Score

Default Cosmetic issue....Suggestions???

I have a kit coming soon as some here know.....I have a receiver that is 100% ready to build.

Here is my problem. Around the center support, where they attached the lower guide rails (I think).....is not finished to my liking. There are dimples that look like a bad acne scar, and they are recessed slightly enough to feel the dimples and see as well.

I intend on painting the receiver, which will help the look of it I hope. But is there any recomendations on what to do fix this? I was thinking a little epoxy to fill slightly, then sand and paint......any other easy, fuctional, lasting remedies out there besides what I'm thinking???

(I think I attached an image?????)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Those are like the trademark of a properly spot welded receiver. I like them on it, it gives the look of authinticity. But if you just cant stand them, you could rough them up w/ sandpaper and put a little jb weld in and sand smooth, followed by a bake on finish, much as you have already said.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

The trademark huh? Well, I like the look of authenticity, a lot. And although I will be putting on a tacticool hand guard,....that is removable without incident. But sanding and jb welding is not (to an extent). thanks for the advice mtdew.

Another note....when refinishing my AMD65 kit...I'm gonna go with matte black Alumahyde II. Any tips or tricks????....should I coat all pieces separately.....or assemble main exterior components then paint as one piece. Gut says go for the individual piece by piece paint job. What do you think?
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yeah those are normal marks from the spot welding. They aren't deep and you can sand down the high spots, them put some primer over that area (mutiple coats) and sand it to slowly fill the holes in.

As for painting
    I'm not sure what you mean about "main exterior components", but usually most do the top cover & gas tube seperate, remove the sights from the bases, and paint the assembled receiver & barrel as one.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The spot welds look normal, after all it is an AKM!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by birdman8387 View Post
    The trademark huh? Well, I like the look of authenticity, a lot. And although I will be putting on a tacticool hand guard,....that is removable without incident. But sanding and jb welding is not (to an extent). thanks for the advice mtdew.

Another note....when refinishing my AMD65 kit...I'm gonna go with matte black Alumahyde II. Any tips or tricks????....should I coat all pieces separately.....or assemble main exterior components then paint as one piece. Gut says go for the individual piece by piece paint job. What do you think?
    Lot of yah and nay on the Alumahyde.. My neighbor did some for me and hell they hold up just fine.. Done properly, durable as can be..
    Watched him do some work.. Stripped, sand blasted, I guess? Then "All" chemicals and oil must be removed..
    Dry, paint, bake.. Individual parts hung on racks in his oven..
    Guys have choices and opinions what works best?
    Only in America do we work hard to make them look new.. Hell every other country beats the dog piss out of them, never cleans them.. Then puts beads and weird paint jobs on..
    Most, on a recent trip too the Orient. Looked like they were dragged behind trucks for 500 miles, then duct taped.. Real AKs..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.