Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quick AK47 Headspacing question

Feedback Score

Thanks for the replies. I decided that the headspace was probably bad so I attempted to to fix it. Got it right on the first refit. :happy: now I'm not scared to field test it when the time comes.

As a side note, but somewhat related, when you guys mate barrel components to a virgin barrel what's the step by step you use? Seemed to me the best idea was to get the hs the way I wanted it, install the barrel pin and then pressing on everything. If I didn't do the pin I think it would shifted as I pressed the rsb, correct?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

you might move the barrel if your installing componets if the barrel is not pinned correct.

If the barrel has a gas port drilled I like to assmble the componets first bu t leave them un pinned . I leave the GB pressed back a little . I install the BG over the port an use this to align the barrel when installing it inthe trunion . I leave every thing back from its final position by a little an once I have it head spaced an pinned an all the stuff is aligned an not canted I then press the RSB back to were the Dust cover fits correct., then move the GB were the gas tube fits correct an still over the port . when its all right an looks good drill the pin holes .

on a barrel that has no gas port I just press in the barrel were the extractor cut is correct an set head space . I doubel check the bot an extractor does not hit or other issues I pin the barrel I then install the rest of the components I drill the port last .

SO WHAT IS WITH A FULTON BCG????????????????????????????????????//

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

you might move the barrel if your installing componets if the barrel is not pinned correct.

If the barrel has a gas port drilled I like to assmble the componets first bu t leave them un pinned . I leave the GB pressed back a little . I install the BG over the port an use this to align the barrel when installing it inthe trunion . I leave every thing back from its final position by a little an once I have it head spaced an pinned an all the stuff is aligned an not canted I then press the RSB back to were the Dust cover fits correct., then move the GB were the gas tube fits correct an still over the port . when its all right an looks good drill the pin holes .

on a barrel that has no gas port I just press in the barrel were the extractor cut is correct an set head space . I doubel check the bot an extractor does not hit or other issues I pin the barrel I then install the rest of the components I drill the port last .

SO WHAT IS WITH A FULTON BCG????????????????????????????????????//

Feedback Score

Hey guys instead of starting a new topic I figure Id ask in here.

Working on my headspacing, NO-GO gauge and the bolt only turns about half of its full rotation. GO gauge closes all but a sheet of papers width. I can see a tiny bit of light between the top tab(for lack of a better word) on the bolt and the trunnion. I also tested with 20 random rounds, closes completely and smoothly with every one of them.

If I understand correctly from reading the Accurizing the AK thread, the tighter it closes with the correct headspace=more accuracy. Dont have a problem backing it out a bit again but if I accidently came upon "perfection" I dont want to mess with it

Thanks in advance, I've still got some things to do on the receiver while I wait for your advice.

EDIT: Nevermind guys I tapped the barrel out a hair more and the GO completely closes now. Thanks Sprat(I think?)I for mentioning the pulley puller in the other thread, worked very well with a stack of pennys on top of the chamber opening.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by darbish View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I decided that the headspace was probably bad so I attempted to to fix it. Got it right on the first refit. :happy: now I'm not scared to field test it when the time comes.

As a side note, but somewhat related, when you guys mate barrel components to a virgin barrel what's the step by step you use? Seemed to me the best idea was to get the hs the way I wanted it, install the barrel pin and then pressing on everything. If I didn't do the pin I think it would shifted as I pressed the rsb, correct?
    It depends on the barrel type/configuration. If it is a predilled gas port and/or HGR retainer slots it is often easier to populate but not pin the components so you can "clock" the barrel to be vertical alignment. Then drill the barrel pin channel.
    If undrilled gas port then the extractior clearance is the main clocking. Drill channel & pin and then "stack" components rear to front and mock up with receiver cover, gas tube etc, as you proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.