Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: headspace issue

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kiloechoxray View Post
    What is the difference between the SAAMI and CIP?

I'll have to check my guages to see what they are. I know I bought them from Brownells.

Do you have a method for installing the barrel to proper headspace if its a virgin barrel?
    IIRC, I got my gauges from Brownell's also, they are Clymer gauges. I have only done one virgin barrel build. I moved the barrel in and out until the bolt closed the same amount as compared to my other AKs, which was almost entirely closed on the go gauge. It will chamber a live round, no problem. I have yet to test fire it though.
    http://www.boomsticksforever.com/
    Specializing in hand-built modular stocks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SAAMI is a voluntary standard US companies use to establish headspace dimensions. CIP is the Euro equivalent. Commie Milspec is not required to adhere to either, which is why ya get these issues. Subtle differences in shoulder angle and such. As long as live ammo feeds and extracts, you have enough headspace, and the gauges not closing indicate you don't have too much. Good to go.

If your gauge is actually chipped, I would lightly hit the chipped area with a Dremel cutoff wheel and chamfer the edge, at that spot only, to ensure no raised metal is causing a bad reading. Most gauges I have seen do have a slot machined in them to clear the ejector, could that be the "chip"?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    SAAMI is a voluntary standard US companies use to establish headspace dimensions. CIP is the Euro equivalent. Commie Milspec is not required to adhere to either, which is why ya get these issues. Subtle differences in shoulder angle and such. As long as live ammo feeds and extracts, you have enough headspace, and the gauges not closing indicate you don't have too much. Good to go.

If your gauge is actually chipped, I would lightly hit the chipped area with a Dremel cutoff wheel and chamfer the edge, at that spot only, to ensure no raised metal is causing a bad reading. Most gauges I have seen do have a slot machined in them to clear the ejector, could that be the "chip"?
    Kernel Damn you are a good Man..
    I know the local Sheriffs here.. You are going to be a professional witness on gun cases.. I am tossing your name in the hat..
    Yup. Swear to God you know your stuff.. I want 20% for every case I get you. P. M. please.. Thank you.. 4th..
    AKBlue also.. I will be yous guys managers..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post

That makes sense to me with regard to some previousbuilds I've done when I did not have guages for 5.45x39 and just had to trust that the barrel pin going back in was good. Thats always turned out ok as long as it could mechanically chamber and fully cycle live rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jimraynor21 View Post
    I got it close by judging where the previous barrel had been pressed in based on the surface inside the trunnion(very shiny/obviously made contact with another metal part). Then start testing the bolt with the gauges, pressing it further in/backing it out accordingly. Then drill/ream your barrel pin hole once satisfied.
    Thanks- that's pretty smart, I hadn't thought of that but it makes a lot of sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.