Gunco Forums banner

What is a 'Bulged' Front Trunnion? ... Any advantage over regular trunnion?

28K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Turbo6ta 
#1 ·
I am new to the AK-47 world, so I have a few questions that others here may seem as pretty much common knowledge to most people. This question is about 'Front Trunnions'.

1. Is a 'Bulged' front trunnion something related to only Yugo AK's (Zastava), or are they used in many other AK's made in various other countries?

2. Why would a bulged front trunnion be better than a regular front trunnion?

3. Does a bulged front trunnion serve a special purpose that a regular trunnion cannot do?

Thanks for any of your knowledge about this.

Ron,

#2 ·
To my knowledge only Yugo's (M70 for example) used them. They are easy to spot by their bulged sides vs the flat sides of a normal trunnion, which requires a receiver specifically designed for them.
As to why, I assume that it was done for some perceived advantage in strength since they were used with a 1.5mm receiver, probably because they had GLs

#4 ·
THE M70 USES PRETTY MUCH THE SAME TRUNION AS A YUGO RPK. IT IS HEAVIER OVER THE LUGS AN IS ARGUAbLE A STONGER PIECE IN EVERY AREA OF ITS CONSTRUCTION BOTH IN STENGTH AN IN WEIGHT . i

It is of little importance IMO on a 7.62x39 or 223 weapon as a standard akm trunion is plenty strong .

Unless you really think you need a baynet for zombies or you want the cool mall ninja effect Id skip the bayo an buy ammo with the money . if there is a simular gun that uses the same ID GB an the GB in yours is in the correct locsation Is likely doable . does your gun haver a gas shut off GB for gernade launching ?

Im sure you can get one on there some how if you really wanted to .

ODDLY A SAIGA 308 HAS A BULGED TRUNION BUT ON SIDE .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.